“cheap and friendly”

Ranked #14 of 16 Ryde B&B and Inns
Newtownards, United Kingdom
“cheap and friendly”
Reviewed 16 September 2012

we stayed in the hotel from the 7th sep to the 10th sept in room 12.. the bed was comfortable and clean we had 5 fresh clean towels every morning, the staff were friendly and helpful we had our own key to come and go as we pleased, would definetly stay there again....

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank lynne d

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2012

My stay was a mixture of business and pleasure as my wife was travelling with me and the budget was tight - The Crown 'Hotel' fulfilled my budgetary needs...

As we walked up Union Street from the passenger ferry we approached The Crown 'Hotel' and were really impressed by it's imposing (possibly Georgian?) frontage - and then you walk in.

It becomes abundantly clear you are most certainly not staying in a hotel - it's a pub with rooms as other reviewers have mentioned.

None-the-less, I echo other reviewer's comments on the helpful staff who showed us up to our room.

We were shown up to room 3 which was pokey and you'd have to 'do the shuffle' to get round the double bed. The member of staff left and my wife and I looked at each other, unimpressed. As the door closed, it... didn't.

The door bounced of its latch, and when I forced the door to close I noticed the catch was loose from the doorframe - so much so that when the door was 'closed' and on the latch you could give it a moderate tug and the door would come open, hardly secure.

I told my wife not to unpack as I headed downstairs and raised my concerns about our insecure 'hotel' room with the once again helpful staff. Before I knew it I was being led upstairs to the different (and far superior) room 12.

The first thing which hit our noses was the smell of the carpet - it could have been in a carpet showroom the previous day, that wonderful new carpet smell. It was abundantly clear there is some refurbishment going on here. The tired, poor, shabby look of room 3 could have been in a different establishment.

In room 12 you'll find a larger room, the newly purchased carpet, wonderfully comfortable bed and far better decor. Our only criticisms of the room are the freeview television with dubious reception and a shower which has a switch-on button saying 'power' which is hypocrytical (Ladies beware: My wife says it would be quicker to wash her hair in the... sink).

If you think you're booking a hotel, you may have got the impression already that you're most certainly not.

If you think you're booking a bed and breakfast, you're halfway there, for The Crown 'Hotel' does indeed offer bed or beds, many of them in fact - but not a single rasher of bacon in sight.

As I had booked a room in 'The Crown Hotel', I thought I was staying in a... hotel.

So when I asked for basic services such as an iron for a shirt in the morning, I was told to ask a member of staff the following day (who wouldn't be available until 9:30am (We needed to leave at 8:15am)).
When it comes to breakfast (surely available in a hotel from 7am?) you'll find it's not available until pub hours - not very helpful for 'hotel' guests.

All in all there is one main message here: You are NOT staying in a hotel. You are staying in a pub with rooms.

When we left at 8:05am on the Saturday morning we did so through a back entrance which is meant to be the 'hotel' entrance, and which probably used to be as it is equipped with a little (disused) reception desk with junk stored around it.

Throughout the 'hotel' you will see mattresses, bedframes and disused room furniture in the corridors and even the bar area where a pool table or dart table look like they should be located.

The first floor is full of self-contained bathrooms because that's how hotels used to be, but The Crown 'Hotel' hasn't moved on - but it is...

We enjoyed our room, but we didn't enjoy the much-to-be-desired bar (regardless of how friendly the locals are) with the wines which come out of a tap, not out of a bottle (highly indicative as to how things are perhaps). I am yet to visit a hotel which offers free nibbles at the bar, but The Crown 'Hotel' does, because it's not a... hotel perhaps?

This place has potential. It has friendly staff and when I raised the point about the loose catch on room 3, they sent a member of staff straight up to sort it out. This kind of prompt action I appreciate.

There's part of me which would come back in 6 months to see how it's improved because improvements, renovations and refurbishments ARE underway.

I do hope the establishment doesn't rely on it's bar business because the decor leaves much to be desired and is about as far away from 'hotel' standard as the sahara desert.

Do not think this is a bad review, but neither an excellent one. It's clear the owners are investing, but this will take time. We would return because we can see the investment is taking place. If they want to take 'hotel' guests, they need to open at 8am at least AND serve breakfast (something other reviewers have mentioned).

Offer beds but no breakfast??! Come on... - but please don't discount this place. Give them a chance, they're investing - but ask for room 12 at least...

Ask for breakfast before 9:30am too and see what reaction you get. My alarm clock works earlier than that, I'm sure theirs does too.

Room Tip: You MUST ask for room 12 or one of their renovated rooms. Get room 3 or similar and you'll be...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ConsumerBloke
Nemmis, Owner at The Crown Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2012
Firstly let me thank you for your balanced review which I hope you will accept my reply to in the same way as we have accepted yours.

I note your remark about the name The Crown Hotel ,if you had read the TA discription you would have seen that the first lines are as follows.
"The Crown Hotel is a old building that was built in 1849 and is now a large Public House with accommodation above".

So as you can see we do not try to confuse clients but inform them that we are a Public House with accommodation.

The Crown was built as a Hotel but was changed to a bar and accommodation some many years ago but has retained the name Hotel due to it being a class two listed building with the original name retained in a conservation area.

Your comment about the wine is also noted but we do sell a wide selection of bottled wine which im surprised you missed as they are displayed at the bar.

We checked the new LCD Tv and found that you had not set it to freeview a simple mistake.

You were correct the refurbishment is taking awhile to finish due to the Hotel being so popular.
We look forward to you returning in the future.
Portsmouth
Reviewed 16 August 2012

I stayed at The Crown Hotel with a friend for a weekend away. Can't fault the property itself, looks lovely from the outside, a nice local sports bar with a projector and 4 other LCD TVs surrounding the bar. All the locals seemed friendly and the bar staff were nothing but polite and helpful. We booked a twin en-suite and had room 9. Nice and quiet in the evening so a lovely nights sleep. The room had just been decorated so we had a nice new bed, big mirrors and a decent shower! Stayed and had a late brunch - and with it being 2 for £8 we felt we couldn't go wrong! Lovely food, and due to the staff, we ended up staying and relaxing in the beer garden and soaking up the sun for the rest of the day! We would definately stay here again!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Beckie C
Liverpoool
Reviewed 9 August 2012

We stayed for 2 nights in early August and found the bar, food and accomodation to a good standard for the price we paid. Would stay again. The service and staff were very good and most accomodating. There was a good atmosphere in the bar and friendly staff too.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jimbow1977
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2012

Stayed for 2 nights 2nd -4th August traveling down from London with my sister for our aunts 50th birthday.
Due to a train delay we arrived late but the owners son Simon stayed behind to open up for us and show us to our room, we stayed in room 9 which is one of the newly furbished and decorated rooms, sadly no view only of the flat roof but the room its self was very good new beds a double and single (I lost and had the single ) nice LCD tv ,all new carpets, as we were at the back of the Hotel it was very quiet and we had a excellent nights sleep.

The ensuite was fitted with a power shower and had plenty of room for two women to put on their war paint ,nice touch was having two large mirrors though the room lacked a hair dryer ,just a thought .
There is no breakfast included which was a shame as we would have paid extra for this but their chef doesnt start work untill 11.30am ,we went to Weatherspoons which is only 2-3 mins walk and had breakfast there.
We decided to have Lunch at the Crown as their menu is very good with a 2 for £8.00 pound main course offer the food was excellent .(think about putting breakfast on guys and your be on a winner).

In conclusion we couldnt really fault our stay, our family and friends all joined us for a drink and lunch,we ended up sitting outside at the Hotels tables and chairs as it was a sunny day we stayed for a couple of hours just relaxing.

With the refurbishment taking place im not sure the rates will stay so reasonable ,we booked this through Expedia so thank you for having the Crown on your list but try to get them to put a early breakfast on .

Room Tip: The Hotel is having a refit 9 the room we stayed in is totaly brand new but according to the Manager...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank 192sandraf
Gosport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2012

Has to be THE most horrendously overpriced, under maintained, unclean, health and safety free place I have ever had the misfortune to stay at! The ‘hotel’ title needs to be used very loosely indeed. ‘Dank, limp and inadequate rooms above a pub with beds in’ is more the required term. Can not even call it a B&B because, although our trip was booked for bed & breakfast, and overpaid at that we saw no food at all and ended up having to buy breakfast at a nearby place. When we were eventually shown to our rooms we discovered that there were not enough beds for us all and we would have to share! The rooms were unclean and very tired. The bathrooms were rather sad with the last residents’ used soap bar left in the shower. The tea and coffee making facilities were in the rooms only minus the cups and in the absence of a bin the tea bag removed from the paper cup, purchased elsewhere, tended to burn your fingers rather whilst you searched frantically for somewhere to put it! I suspect, looking at the carpet, this happened a lot and it usually ended up on the floor. The complete absence of reception staff meant that nobody was there to listen. The rotten window hidden behind the grey nets looked out onto a flat roof currently being used as a junk yard. I suspect this was necessary however as the entire premises seemed to be moonlighting as a junk store with rooms and even main areas of the bar being used to store piles of furniture and broken equipment. They were not totally lacking in health and safety however as out of date fire extinguishers were jauntily placed throughout propping open every fire door in the building including one which led directly onto the flat roof. Despite the original booking being paid in full the leader of our party, the hen, was then accosted by the incredibly rude, sweaty friend of the manager and was forced to pay an additional £200 ‘for the extra occupation of the rooms. The nearby establishments tell us this is habitual of The Crown who for reasons unknown seem to suffer from a complete lack of return custom! Stay away you WILL be sorely disappointed!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Tracie M
Nemmis, Owner at The Crown Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2012
It is sad when a Guest feels they have to write such a Review that is as untrue as it is unfounded .
Our Manageress worked very hard to fit this booking in, moving clients around so these women could have there hen party.
The rooms they were allocated were brand new they were the first people to walk on new carpets sleep in new beds and use the new furniture .
I can only put this down to the fact that allthough quoted a rate of £30 pound pppn they argued that they should only be paying £10 pppn .
I would like to take this point to praise my staff for their profesional handling of some very abusive behaviour from some very drunk guests.

Travellers are raving about these Ryde hotels

Gosport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Room very basic, not enough tea bags or milk, plastic spoons. No sheet on the bed just a throw not very pleasant to sleep under, dirty soap in the bathroom could have done with a good clean in the bathroom to be honest. Lots of items cluttering the hallways. Bar staff very pleasant and helpful especially Becky.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank kazwaz42
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ryde
Royal Esplanade Hotel
#8 of 29 in Sandown
Dorset Hotel
Dorset Hotel
#2 of 16 in Ryde

Been to The Crown Hotel? Share your experiences!