“Avoid!”
Review of The Crown Hotel

The Crown Hotel
Ranked #16 of 17 Ryde B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 July 2013

This is not a hotel. It is a loud Wetherspoon-type pub bang in the centre of town with rooms above, which doesn't do breakfast.

On arrival the noise from the pub was so great I asked to be transferred to a less noisy room. I as offered a triple with shared bathroom on the second floor, and decided silence was a fair trade for sharing a bathroom. It was quieter. The lady who handled the switch was pleasant, any negative inferences here are squarely directed at the owner, who clearly couldn't care less about his residents.

Then I saw the choice of two bathrooms! How anyone thought these were fit for travellers in the 21st century is bewildering! To top it off there was no hot water all of the evening and the same the following morning so I had a quick cold shower and fled as fast as my feet would carry me!

Yes, it is quite cheap, but trust me, it would be a false economy to even consider it! Ryde is not the nicest place on the island anyway. Couldn't find anywhere decent to eat and ended up driving a few miles to find a nice restaurant.

Room Tip: I don't believe there could be any good rooms here based on what I experienced.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank RCimino

Reviewed 28 June 2013

Stayed here for 1 night while cycling round the island. Arrived late and left early so didn't need much in the way of facilities. Room was ok with sink and plenty of towels available. Main problem was the bathrooms/toilets. Had to go along a coridor and down a flight of stairs to get to them. Only 1 bathroom had a shower connection. Seemed to run out of hot water later. Toilet on first floor didn't seem to lock properly so we went down another flight of steps to the pub toilets on the ground floor. Cheapest room we could find so I suppose we got what we paid for.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 January 2013

Staff was incredibly unhelpful and standards lowest of the lowest. We stayed there for 3 night, our trash and towels wasn't changed at all!The fact that we had to share common bathroom and toilets was a shock, although lady that accommodated us offered a replacement room for extra charge but it was available only for 2 night instead of 3. At least we had a sink in the room which was a plastic, cracked and full of cigaret burns. Absolutely disgusting!!
No tv remote or hangers for coats available. Nothing extra to make your stay special.
On a positive note, bed was comfortable, sheets clean!
Definitely put a negative mark on the isle of wight!

• Stayed: January 2013
Nemmis, Owner at The Crown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2013

Thank you for your review but I am at a loss to find any record of your stay .
We have cleaners who clean all rooms every day change towels,Sheets ,Pillowcases, empty rubbish bins and refurbish tea and coffee .
All our TVs are flat screen with ipod rechargers there are 50 freeview channels plus free Sky Sports ,there are no reports of missing TV remotes.
There is a extra charge for an en-suite room which if you did stay at the Crown would have been offered if available .
I noticed that your review and the one below were both entered using a mobile phone ,could you please contact us and inform us of the dates you claim to have stayed along with a room number or receipt of stay .
Thank you.

Reviewed 16 September 2012

we stayed in the hotel from the 7th sep to the 10th sept in room 12.. the bed was comfortable and clean we had 5 fresh clean towels every morning, the staff were friendly and helpful we had our own key to come and go as we pleased, would definetly stay there again....

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank lynne d
Reviewed 19 August 2012

My stay was a mixture of business and pleasure as my wife was travelling with me and the budget was tight - The Crown 'Hotel' fulfilled my budgetary needs...

As we walked up Union Street from the passenger ferry we approached The Crown 'Hotel' and were really impressed by it's imposing (possibly Georgian?) frontage - and then you walk in.

It becomes abundantly clear you are most certainly not staying in a hotel - it's a pub with rooms as other reviewers have mentioned.

None-the-less, I echo other reviewer's comments on the helpful staff who showed us up to our room.

We were shown up to room 3 which was pokey and you'd have to 'do the shuffle' to get round the double bed. The member of staff left and my wife and I looked at each other, unimpressed. As the door closed, it... didn't.

The door bounced of its latch, and when I forced the door to close I noticed the catch was loose from the doorframe - so much so that when the door was 'closed' and on the latch you could give it a moderate tug and the door would come open, hardly secure.

I told my wife not to unpack as I headed downstairs and raised my concerns about our insecure 'hotel' room with the once again helpful staff. Before I knew it I was being led upstairs to the different (and far superior) room 12.

The first thing which hit our noses was the smell of the carpet - it could have been in a carpet showroom the previous day, that wonderful new carpet smell. It was abundantly clear there is some refurbishment going on here. The tired, poor, shabby look of room 3 could have been in a different establishment.

In room 12 you'll find a larger room, the newly purchased carpet, wonderfully comfortable bed and far better decor. Our only criticisms of the room are the freeview television with dubious reception and a shower which has a switch-on button saying 'power' which is hypocrytical (Ladies beware: My wife says it would be quicker to wash her hair in the... sink).

If you think you're booking a hotel, you may have got the impression already that you're most certainly not.

If you think you're booking a bed and breakfast, you're halfway there, for The Crown 'Hotel' does indeed offer bed or beds, many of them in fact - but not a single rasher of bacon in sight.

As I had booked a room in 'The Crown Hotel', I thought I was staying in a... hotel.

So when I asked for basic services such as an iron for a shirt in the morning, I was told to ask a member of staff the following day (who wouldn't be available until 9:30am (We needed to leave at 8:15am)).
When it comes to breakfast (surely available in a hotel from 7am?) you'll find it's not available until pub hours - not very helpful for 'hotel' guests.

All in all there is one main message here: You are NOT staying in a hotel. You are staying in a pub with rooms.

When we left at 8:05am on the Saturday morning we did so through a back entrance which is meant to be the 'hotel' entrance, and which probably used to be as it is equipped with a little (disused) reception desk with junk stored around it.

Throughout the 'hotel' you will see mattresses, bedframes and disused room furniture in the corridors and even the bar area where a pool table or dart table look like they should be located.

The first floor is full of self-contained bathrooms because that's how hotels used to be, but The Crown 'Hotel' hasn't moved on - but it is...

We enjoyed our room, but we didn't enjoy the much-to-be-desired bar (regardless of how friendly the locals are) with the wines which come out of a tap, not out of a bottle (highly indicative as to how things are perhaps). I am yet to visit a hotel which offers free nibbles at the bar, but The Crown 'Hotel' does, because it's not a... hotel perhaps?

This place has potential. It has friendly staff and when I raised the point about the loose catch on room 3, they sent a member of staff straight up to sort it out. This kind of prompt action I appreciate.

There's part of me which would come back in 6 months to see how it's improved because improvements, renovations and refurbishments ARE underway.

I do hope the establishment doesn't rely on it's bar business because the decor leaves much to be desired and is about as far away from 'hotel' standard as the sahara desert.

Do not think this is a bad review, but neither an excellent one. It's clear the owners are investing, but this will take time. We would return because we can see the investment is taking place. If they want to take 'hotel' guests, they need to open at 8am at least AND serve breakfast (something other reviewers have mentioned).

Offer beds but no breakfast??! Come on... - but please don't discount this place. Give them a chance, they're investing - but ask for room 12 at least...

Ask for breakfast before 9:30am too and see what reaction you get. My alarm clock works earlier than that, I'm sure theirs does too.

Room Tip: You MUST ask for room 12 or one of their renovated rooms. Get room 3 or similar and you'll be...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ConsumerBloke
Nemmis, Owner at The Crown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2012

Firstly let me thank you for your balanced review which I hope you will accept my reply to in the same way as we have accepted yours.

I note your remark about the name The Crown Hotel ,if you had read the TA discription you would have seen that the first lines are as follows.
"The Crown Hotel is a old building that was built in 1849 and is now a large Public House with accommodation above".

So as you can see we do not try to confuse clients but inform them that we are a Public House with accommodation.

The Crown was built as a Hotel but was changed to a bar and accommodation some many years ago but has retained the name Hotel due to it being a class two listed building with the original name retained in a conservation area.

Your comment about the wine is also noted but we do sell a wide selection of bottled wine which im surprised you missed as they are displayed at the bar.

We checked the new LCD Tv and found that you had not set it to freeview a simple mistake.

You were correct the refurbishment is taking awhile to finish due to the Hotel being so popular.
We look forward to you returning in the future.

Reviewed 16 August 2012

I stayed at The Crown Hotel with a friend for a weekend away. Can't fault the property itself, looks lovely from the outside, a nice local sports bar with a projector and 4 other LCD TVs surrounding the bar. All the locals seemed friendly and the bar staff were nothing but polite and helpful. We booked a twin en-suite and had room 9. Nice and quiet in the evening so a lovely nights sleep. The room had just been decorated so we had a nice new bed, big mirrors and a decent shower! Stayed and had a late brunch - and with it being 2 for £8 we felt we couldn't go wrong! Lovely food, and due to the staff, we ended up staying and relaxing in the beer garden and soaking up the sun for the rest of the day! We would definately stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Beckie C
Reviewed 9 August 2012

We stayed for 2 nights in early August and found the bar, food and accomodation to a good standard for the price we paid. Would stay again. The service and staff were very good and most accomodating. There was a good atmosphere in the bar and friendly staff too.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jimbow1977
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ryde
Travelodge Ryde Isle of Wight Hotel
Sandown Hotel
Sandown Hotel
#22 of 29 in Sandown
Lakeside Park Hotel & Spa

Been to The Crown Hotel? Share your experiences!