“10/10 for the price paid”
Review of Yelf's Hotel

Yelf's Hotel
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Ryde
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Just one night for a swift visit to the Isle of Wight. Very convenient for the fast catamaran Portsmouth to Ryde. Double room included a lounge area as well! Decor perhaps a little tired, but absolutely no fault for the price that I paid, and with a good breakfast each. Good food was also consumed (along with an excellent pint of local beer) in the evening.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pete M

Reviewed 31 March 2012

It was really refreshing to have such friendly, helpful staff! My boyfriend and I arrived and had booked a double room, however housekeeping had made the room up as two singles. The receptionist was quick to get another room... The rooms were not the most modern we've been to, but it added to the quirkiness! When we arrived in our double room we had towels, soap pots, shampoo, cups, tea, coffee, biscuits, hot chocolate, hairdryer and a welcome kit- all the things you'd expect and more! The bed was a real comfy bouncy bed, room was all clean! The only thing is that the rooms are not double glazed as it is a listed building. I didn't really mind as an earthquake could not have woken us up!
The next morning we had a selection of breakfasts (all included) and the friendliest waiter!
All in all a lovely hotel! The staff made it for us! Would go back anyday! Xx

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 30 March 2012

My wife and I stayed at Yelfs in Ryde for 3 nights at the end of March. Due to some of the reviews I E Mailed ahead to let them know my concerns. They came straight back to me with an allocated room that was to be quiet, well appointed and with good service.
On arrival I am pleased to say that all of the above was met, although it could have done with a thicker mattress. As it was week nights I can not comment on the noise aspect apart from it is in a busy street with plenty of Bars and Restaurants, including a recently refurbished Wetherspoon.
An excellent breakfast, even scrambled egg with Salmon!
Please do not be put off by the negative reviews, it is certainly worth a try and is value for money.

Room Tip: Room 27 has a four poster and great views.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Phil P
YelfsHotel, Manager at Yelf's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2012

Thank you for your recent review of your stay at Yelfs. I am pleased that everything was to your liking and hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 30 March 2012

I stayed in Yelf's hotel for one night - March 17 2012. I was attending a black-tie event with my partner.

My overall impression of the hotel is that it needs a good scrub, some serious re-styling and more customer-focused staff.

I had made the booking for the hotel over the phone. The telephone conversation was friendly, efficient and welcoming. The lady to whom I spoke did warn me there were only 2 rooms available and both of them faced onto the main road which she commented could be noisy with late-night revellers. The telephone welcome was actually faultless and left me looking forward to a lovely stay in a hotel that I thought must really care about the guest experience. Unfortunately, the telephone booking was actually the best thing about the stay.

When we arrived there was a wedding going on in the hotel. This meant we had to wait outside whilst the photographer to pictures of the happy couple in the reception area. I didn't mind this at all as everyone deserves a special day. However, I did mind being ignored by the receptionist for a good 10 minutes although she had seen me patiently waiting outside.

The receptionist was efficient - not particularly friendly - no "welcome to Yelf's" or "I hope you enjoy your stay" or any pleasantries. The thing I remember most about the curt exchange was the "We do ask guests to pay on arrival - can I take payment now?" (not even a please!)

We went up to our room - the floorboards creaked horribly loudly in a way that made me wonder if a foot was about to go through one of them. After passingthrough the hideous security door, we entered our room.

Oh my goodness! The room was seriously hideous. Whoever chose the decor must have been hell-bent on choosing colours and fabrics that did not tone or compliment one another. It was such a shame as the actual room was a really good size - but it looked cheap, grubby and tired. There was a suspicious dent in the wall by the bathroom - presumably left by a patron who had tried to knock themselves out by head-butting the wall. There was flaking paint, stained curtains - it just was not nice.

The bathroom was particularly Broadmoor-esque. The blue lino wasn't fitted well, the sink wasn't properly clean, there was no bath-mat (my partner actually slipped and whacked the wall as a result of stepping out the deep bath which doubled as a shower). Again, it was just not a nice room to be in.

Drinks in the bar was another surly extravanganza of moody customer-service. The bar-man's shirt was creased and not tucked in and neither was the duty manager's. He took an age to fix our drinks - mainly because he was carrying on a conversation with somebody stood at the other end of the bar.

The duty-manager was particularly unhelpful, bordering on rude. My partner asked him about where a pre-ordered taxi would arrive. He didn't look up from his desk, he just pointed and said "they normally wait out there mate". I asked him if there was a different code for the front door than there was for the internal security door as we expected to be arriving back late. Again, he focused on the desk and said "Nah!". Charming!

In the morning, there was quite a nice breakfast. The people actually working in the restaurant were quite cheerful and helpful. They smiled. They looked appropriate for work and they were efficient.

We left the hotel - the receptionist didn't say goodbye (even though we were clearly leaving as we were dragging a suitcase). She just stared blankly at us.

Apart from the staff in the breakfast restaurant - this hotel is seriously lacking in all areas. The train to and from Ryde actually felt more comfortable and welcoming.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank bylco

Thank you for taking time to review your stay with us. As your review is very similar to the one called 'tired little hotel' I am assuming that you were all staying as a group here that night. Again I must apologise for certain elements of your stay, namely the customer service and the cleanliness of the room. Many people comment that the customer service is excellent and I am sorry that you did not experience this. As we had a wedding here it would have been quite busy but should not have affected the service. I am sure that the receptionist did not mean to be rude but probably did not think to come out into the street to greet you whild you were waiting out there.

Taxis do pull up outside the hotel but we usually advise guests to wait inside so that you can quite clearly see the taxi pull up through the glass doors. Yes our floorboards do creak but the building is over 200 years old and I think this gives the place some character. They are however completely safe. Security/Fire doors are I am afraid a necessity and none look particulary pretty but they are required to keep our residents safe and to keep non-residents from entering guest accommodation.

If you would like to phone me at the hotel I will be more than happy to discuss your complaints as we hope to make everyones stay at Yelfs an enjoyable one.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 28 March 2012

When I checked in on the bases of me maybe staying regularly my room was changed to a nicer one, I was concerned on what my other room would of been like as the room I was in was tired looking, the bathroom was not very clean and I had to wash my cup before making a drink as this was dirty too. My bed was comfortable. My eve meal was good and the reception lady was very friendly. I didn't complain to the hotel about my room as I felt it wouldn’t make any difference. I appreciate that the hotel is an older building and you can accept sometimes not everything will be new and shinny, however basic cleaning skills doesn't cost anything.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank tracey B
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Enjoyed 3 nights at Yelf. All very clean, tidy and apart from the 4 poster being a little short for my 6ft frame! very comfortable. Excellent breakfast and friendly/helpful staff.

Room Tip: Honeymoon suite was good as long as you're no taller than 5ft 10!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 March 2012

Jance & Jonathans wedding was thrown into turmoil when their venue, Ryde Castle Hotel burning down. They contacted Yelfs Hotel to see if they could at 2 weeks notice provide them with a wedding. What a result! These great people are duplicating the wedding already planned as best as they can. They are in control. Even better was they matched the price. We were frightened that a business could take advanatage of this situation by increasing prices, Yelfs did not!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
YelfsHotel, Manager at Yelf's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2012

I am so glad we could help and make the transition of moving your venue as simple and stressfree as possible. We are all looking forward to welcoming you, your family and friends to Yelfs, where I know you will all have a perfect day.

Kind regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ryde
Lakeside Park Hotel & Spa
#5 of 29 in Sandown
The Royal Hotel
The Royal Hotel
#1 of 9 in Ventnor

Been to Yelf's Hotel? Share your experiences!