“Service and quality always good”
Review of Yelf's Hotel

Yelf's Hotel
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Ryde
Reviewed 28 July 2012

I have stayed here on a number of occasions and always found the staff to be very helpful and friendly.

The food is always good value for money and the rooms are in a good condition, with everything that you would require. They do an excellent roast dinner and hunters chicken, with the bar staff being very polite and helpful.

In the morning the breakfast room is set out very well, with a buffet and a cooked breakfast to which they cooked to a very good standard. I love poached eggs and it is always a good bench mark to see how well a kitchen can produce these. I found them to be done just as required, which set me up for the day nicely.

During one stay we did have an unfortunate incident with a wedding party, with one idiotic person deciding to break a door that was next to our room. However, when we mentioned this the next morning, we were given that night for half price and the staff were extremely apologetic.

I would always consider staying at this hotel is in IOW, as location and facilities are good. Located right in the centre of Ryde only a short stroll down to the sea front, where you can hop on the train and explore the rest of the island.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Yelf's Hotel

Reviewed 23 July 2012

We booked two inter connecting rooms across the road from the main Yelfs hotel in the hope it would be a central,location from which to enjoy our long weekend on the Island. This is the apartments they own in Bromley House, not the main part of the hotel.
the first impressions weren't good. It felt very student like, awful beds and disgusting stains on the bed bases that didn't even have valances on to cover them up!
The main issue we had was the cleanliness of the tea and coffee making facilities. the tray had hairs and dried milk on it and the cups had this orange or red stuff on them that burnt our lips and fingers. the assistant manager was suitably embarrassed when we showed her and agreed it wasn't acceptable and even offered to clean the room herself for us! finally after around two hours of ringing around we found anothe hotel to take us at very short notice which turned out to be a little gem! top tip...don't stay at Yelfs! Drive a bit further out and stay at he Crab and Lobster in Bembridge. James (not sure if he is a manager or not, but he should be)
Was extremely helpful...but that's another review I wil leave!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
YelfsHotel, Manager at Yelf's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2012

As you will be aware from previous reviews, Yelfs' prides itself on high standards of cleanliness and customer service. Therefore, please accept my sincere apologies for the sub-standard cleanliness of your room facilities and furnishings.

I am pleased that our Assistant Manager acted so promptly and tried to rectify the situation immeditately but I am sorry that you decided to change your travel plans.

Please feel free contact me directly so that I can discuss this with you further.

Regards

The Manager

Reviewed 23 July 2012

We spent 5 nights at this hotel, the room we had (across the road from the main hotel) was very clean and spacious with a very comfortable double bed, large bathroom and plenty of hanging space for clothes and draw space for other bits and bobs. The staff were very helpful and informative about local places. Although we were out for meals during the evening the breakfast was good plenty of choice and what was supposed to be served hot was. The quiet room and bar area were good and the beer garden was clean and well presented. We would recommend this hotel and definitely visiit again. Ann & Adrian Piper

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Yelfs. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay and that everything was to your satisfaction. We look forward to welcoming you both back in the future.

Reviewed 16 July 2012 via mobile

At the reception and in the rooms Yelfs urge their guests to leave a review on trip advisor, so here's mine...

Firstly I didn't pay for my room as it is booked by my company so I cannot relate any of the following to value, rather it is based on what one would normally expect from a conscientious hotelier.

I have stayed in 3 different rooms here so I hope my review is considered fair. Given the size and styles of the rooms vary wildly there is a decent attempt to suggest some unity in the furniture and decor which on the whole is fine forgiving the age of the building. It's not the Ritz but I suspect the price isn't either. The tired beds need to be addressed soon - for me probably the most important thing in any hotel room.

The room TVs are rubbish. Old CRT screens with only 2 or 3 channels which work leave a big gap in the whole experience.

Curiously many rooms which were twin beds could have been made doubles which would have been nicer for the visitor experience, but maybe there are business motives for that.

The rooms each seem noisy in their own individual ways. The ones on the front subjected to local revellers and traffic, not much that can be done there, but others with creaky floors and rattly windows, all of which tend to hinder a good night's sleep. Clumpy occupants on floors above don't help but usually this is short lived.

The location is good for Ryde and plenty of choice for food right on he doorstep.

I think the main aspect of the hotel that struck me was the lack of staff in attendance. Almost every time I went to or past the reception or bar there was no-one serving, and often I found guests including myself waiting at the vacant posts often for minutes wondering which direction we were going to be surprised from, or when the receptionist was going to finish chatting with her colleague at the counter opposite to notice us.

We notice you.

Quite surprisingly this hotel boasts 4 stars (blobs) on this site - an above average score with an even more surprising contingent rating it excellent.

I have to be honest and say if I was looking to stay here I would hope to find a review like mine saying this a distinctly average hotel dragged down to 2 stars through clumsy and somewhat lackadaisical staff attitude and presence which costs absolutely nothing to address.

To the hotel, your darker haired lady serving breakfast of a morning was certainly an exception to my note about staffing and couldn't have been more pleasant and attentive.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Jim_Riddle
YelfsHotel, Manager at Yelf's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2012

I appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay at Yelfs. I was surprised to hear that our staff were inattentive and scarcely seen. As you will see from many reviews, Yelfs usually offers excellent customer service and so I will definetely address this matter. I will also pass on your kind comments to our breakfast waitress.

Yelfs is soon to have all of its televisions replaced with flat screen tv's with full freeview channels. Hopefully this will rectify one of your observances. If you would like to contact me directly I could discuss the other matters with you. This would enable me to investigate further.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed 14 July 2012

We recently spent three nights at Yelf's and felt we were thoroughly looked after. Staff friendly and helpful - basically they go beyond the call of duty to make your stay enjoyable. We actually got married at the hotel nearly two years ago, and the whole occasion was fantastic and we felt great value for money. Best assets include, friendly, helpful staff, good food and very comfortable accommodation. Would thoroughly recommend.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 July 2012

Spent one night here on business in a small but clean and very well prepared room. Hotel is a labyrinth of rooms and corridors mined into a couplecouple of townhouses on the street that descends to the pier. Staff friendly and welcoming. Restaurant in hotel looks pretty good, although I choose to east in one of the many places dotted around within a minute or two's walk. Did enjoy a well-appointed bar later. Really great choice of breakfasts, from full English through breakfast fish to continental. Staff very helpful, a great stay. Will definitely return.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 12 July 2012

We were treat like the most important people in their hotel, nothing was too much trouble, everything was brilliant but their most outstanding asset is the staff. They were faultless in every way. We had a slight problem and everything and more was done to sort it out. We would recommend Yelfs to anyone going to the I of W you really do not need to look any further for great value, incredible food and rooms with comfy beds

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ryde
Royal Esplanade Hotel
#5 of 29 in Sandown
The Royal Hotel
The Royal Hotel
#1 of 9 in Ventnor

Been to Yelf's Hotel? Share your experiences!