“Not quite so good this time !”
Review of Yelf's Hotel

and 1 more site!
Yelf's Hotel
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Ryde
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Go to the IOW monthly and usually meet friends for Dinner and drinks at Yelfs . I like the place as its in the main street, standards are usually good, staff nice and helpful, and I used to go there for lunch with my Dad 20 years ago. Anyway, food not so good this time, usually its 8/10, this time 3/10. Chef must have been off as main courses were not that hot. mine was pretty tasteless. Went for banana fritters for dessert. Yuk. more like potato fritters in mush. Should be 2 stars for the food, but beer was great, so were the staff, prices quite good, so 3 stars this time.
Hope socks are pulled up soon , as tempted to try elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank JackDorset
There are newer reviews for Yelf's Hotel

Reviewed 16 March 2014

The hotel is spread over two buildings and a third across the road. I was given a single room at the top of the adjoining building accessed by a kind of bridge. Even at the top of the building it was noisy and Saturday night there was thumping europop bass beats from the club below. I phone reception at midnight to be told that it was nothing to do with them.

I had specifically requested a room with wifi and when I arrived and couldnt hook up was told it would be OK. The wifi did not improve. Worked OK in the area near the office only.

The place seemed to be struggling, the wall paper in my room was peeling and generally decor was shoddy.

Breakfast coffee tasted like it had been stewing al night and the cooked food was in warming trays and was equally stewed. Nothing local, all the usual mainstream brands. Could have been a seedy hotel anywhere. Very disappointing.

Room Tip: Get a room in the man building...ask if you have to cross 'the bridge' to get to your room...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank rsw174
YelfsHotel, Manager at Yelf's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Thank you for taking time to review your stay at Yelfs. I am sorry that it did not come up to your expectations on this occasion. Unfortunately we do not have WIFI in all areas of the hotel although this is being updated and should be completed soon. The main building does have free WIFI as do all public areas including the guest lounge.

I did offer to move you to the main hotel on the first night of your stay, however, I appreciate that as you had already settled in, you did not wish to move.

Our breakfast is usually excellent and I can assure you that the coffee does not have time to stand for very long. The filter coffee we use is quite a strong blend and so I will look into some alternatives. I would like to welcome you back to Yelfs in the future and I hope that we can restore your faith in our usually excellent customer service. Please call us direct to ensure a room with full WIFI signal.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Got married yesterday in Yelfs and had a fantastic time. A good priced package, food was superb, the Wedding Breakfast was served quickly, was hot and delicious, the evening buffet was also a lovely spread combining platters and a mix from a set menu which gave USA good mix and the food was lovely, could not fault Yelfs for the venue, service and food but the rooms do let it down. We stayed in the Bridal Suite which was fine but other guests were not so happy with their rooms. One couple stayed in a room detached from the main hotel, they feel they should have been told this was happening and some the rooms need upgrading. Overall would recommend this hotel for a Wedding or any other celebration.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sylala
YelfsHotel, Manager at Yelf's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Dear Sylvia & Alan,

Thank you for taking time to write a review on Trip Advisor. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your very special day here at Yelfs. It was a pleasure to be able to provide you and your guests with some fond memories of an absolutely lovely day.

We have undergone a huge refurbishment of all of the outside parts of the hotel. This refurbishment is ongoing and we are working our way through all areas that need to be attended to.

We would love to welcome you both back again for your 1st Anniversary but hope to see you again in the meantime.

Congratulations to you both.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

Phoned to make a booking and spoke to a lovely lady who took my booking for the same night , Upon arrival I was booked in by the manager , he was quiet polite but keep calling me MATE !!
This really annoy's me and feel customers should be addressed as Mr or Sir not MATE !

I went to my room which I must say was quite large, but noticed the room was dirty with dust everywhere.

The bathroom was very small and the door wouldn't open all the way due to the basin in the way and the bath was chipped.

Went to the bar and the same person who checked me in was there and still calling me MATE !! Arrggggg

Went in for breakfast and found myself a seat , the waitress did acknowledge me but then some other gentleman came in and she served him first ignoring me.

I ordered grilled bacon , beans , mushrooms and poached Eggs , unfortunately the bacon had been fried and the eggs wasn't cooked properly (disappointing ) , the waitress did offer to ask the chef how he cooked the bacon, but with the oil running off it I declined her offer as it was obvious.
Menu states grilled bacon , the other items had be warmed up in the microwave

I checked out and the same gentlemen was there calling me MATE , he asked if everything was ok and I explained about the dirty room.

Would think twice about staying again , but must say how nice the lady on the phone was!

Room Tip: Rm 7 not bad but needs a clean
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
YelfsHotel, General Manager at Yelf's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking time to review your stay at Yelfs Hotel. We take all our reviews and comments both good and bad very seriously and I would like to apologise if we did not provide you with an enjoyable stay on this occasion. The duty manager who did not uphold our usually high standard of customer service, has since left our employment and all our staff know that it is very impolite to call customers 'Mate'.

Housekeeping have received extra training and have been made aware of this situation.

Our breakfast is usually of an extremely high quality and neither our bacon or sausages are fried. After having spoken with our breakfast waitress she apologises if you thought she was ignoring you, but infact served the other gentlemen whilst she thought you were looking at the menu.

I would like to be able to welcome you back to Yelfs on another occasion when I am sure we can restore your faith in us and so that you can experience the excellent service and hospitality we provide.

Please call me direct if you wish to make another reservation and I look foward to welcoming you back to Yelfs Hotel again soon.

Regards

Manager

Reviewed 20 January 2014

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights in early January - We got this deal with Groupon so were not expecting fantastic standards. All the staff we encountered were extremely pleasant and helpful. We had dinner on the first night and breakfast each day. The service and the food was of a very high standard. The dinner was exceptionally good. As for our room, apart from being really hot (we had to keep a window open all the time) the bed was comfortable, very clean, and we had plenty of clothes storage (wardrobe, dresser and tallboy). The towels and toiletries were superb. We will happily stay at this hotel again.

GW (Staffordshire)

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank George W
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Stayed at the hotel for new year party of eight it was fantastic
The food drink and and staff we're excellent could not do enough for us. it is a shame that some of the mainland hotels do not take a leaf out of their book with the professionalism that the staff showed
All credit must go to Rebecca the manageress for the way the whole place operates
We'll done to everyone for making our stay most enjoyable
Regards
Steve and the gang from Bedford
WE WILL BE BACK

Room Tip: All rooms are good
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 January 2014

I lunch at Yelfs in Ryde nearly every week so have a "Regular Diners Card" which is great...
The staff are so friendly & helpful always willing to adjust the menu for my needs as I am unable to eat some foods, today I had Sea Bass on Crushed potatoes with the Curry Sauce & fresh veg, which was delicious and suited me perfectly. Anything I request as a variation to the menu, is accepted without question... They also do the best Coffee I've found anywhere, which I have with a measure of Baileys, that I pop in the Coffee Delicious.
As a Disabled Person I find the rear door entry is almost right for a small mobility scoot but does need some attention but would be fine for a wheelchair.
I would like to see the outside area nearest to the building as a separate area, for non smokers so I could sit out in the summer sun, as the outside area is a sun trap. It is one of the few places in the area where I don't have to fight my way through smokers on the doorstep, which is a great bonus too... (I have an allergy to cigarette smoke)

Room Tip: I cant comment as Ive not used a room yet
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ryde
Royal Esplanade Hotel
#5 of 29 in Sandown
The Royal Hotel
The Royal Hotel
#1 of 9 in Ventnor

Been to Yelf's Hotel? Share your experiences!