“Unexpected stay”

and 1 more site!
Yelf's Hotel
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Ryde
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

You could say we were plonked at this hotel due to being let down by the one we had originally booked into being unable to find our booking!! However we were pleasantly surprised by Yelfs. The girl on reception when we first signed in was lovely and friendly but very professional as were all the staff there, the room was a good size and comfortable although slightly worn and could have done with a makeover it was still clean and tidy. The dining area is a lovely large room where we had a excellent well cooked breakfast.
We would definitely stay there again should we ever stay in Ryde.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Anna B
YelfsHotel, Manager at Yelf's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay at Yelfs. I am so pleased that we were able to provide you both with an enjoyable stay at such short notice.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Yelfs in the future.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

We stayed for three nights in a triple room on the back side of the hotel, so it was very quiet during the night (referring to what I read in other reviews..). Could be different in the summer, when the "smoker's garden" is busy. The room looked rather used, yet fairly clean, and the beds were not very comfortable. Everything would need to be refurbished (but keep the old style charm..). On our first evening we had, in a group of 10 people, a 3-course-dinner in the Dutch Room: tasty food, good service. Breakfast was o.k. with a reasonable choice of food and drinks on the buffet and from the kitchen. Not to forget the nice bar and lounge, where we had our 'nightcaps'.The staff were always friendly and helpful when needed. On the whole we enjoyed our very short stay on the Isle of Wight.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank tinoba
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Our room was above a nightclub which blasted music until the early hours. It was so bad that I can't believe it was offered as hotel accommodation. Nobody mentioned the noise levels when we checked in, being 7 months pregnant I would have thought that the reception staff would have mentioned it. On checkout I gave my feedback and was told that because I had booked via booking.com they couldn't take responsibility because I hadn't booked directly with the hotel. I said that I would make a note of this in my review and was told by the receptionist 'that there was in need to be spiteful'. This was pretty shocking and showed no level of customer care or empathy all. I wouldn't risk booking this hotel for a wedding or other events because if this experience, unless you are willing for your guests to have a tortious nights sleep! Really bad experience and £150 wasted! There are plenty of other hotels / b and b's nearby.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 95Sally95
YelfsHotel, Manager at Yelf's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2014

Thank you for reviewing your stay at Yelfs. I am so sorry that you did not enjoy your stay on this occasion. As you will see from many previous reviews, our customer service is usually of a very high standard and so please accept my apologies that we fell short on this account on the morning of your departure. We did not realise that you were pregnant when youchecked in, possibly due to the height of the Reception Desk and we are very sorry that your stay caused you so much distress.

We are located in a very cosmopolitan area in Ryde on a busy main street surrounded by popular bars and restaurants. Therefore, it can be very lively on a Friday or Saturday night, although I appreciate that on the night in question the noise levels from the bar next door were particulary extreme. I can only appologise for this and of course we have spoken to the bar management in order to try and reduce noise levels in the future.

We would be more than happy to arrange a room in the main building of the hotel overlooking the garden if you decide to return. Please contact our reservation desk directly to make a reservation so that we can meet your needs better.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

Recent weekend stay. Ideally located for rail and boat arrivals and then subsequent public transport expeditions across the whole Island. Good old fashioned standards. No overbearing false behaviour from staff who were always there when needed. Nice medium sized room suite with large, clean, well equipped bathroom at quite frankly a guest house type price. Superb Sunday lunch and the real ale in the bar was the best I had on the Island on every occasion I had some. Room had Union Street fronting so it there is a criticism (especially at weekends when the young of Ryde go on the prowl until late) it would be a need to double glaze the windows (secondary glazing so windows can still be opened for fresh air) facing on to Union Street and get the adjacent Black Sheep bar to tone down their music sounds after 2330 as these reverberate throughout the hotel. I always find getting out of the shower potentially dangerous so provision of a non slip mat or heavy obvious floor towel could be the panacea.

Room Tip: Ask for a back of hotel room to avoid streetnoise at the front
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank RealAleVoyager
YelfsHotel, Manager at Yelf's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2014

Thank you for your review. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay. I have noted the comment regarding the non-slip mat and there should have been one provided in your room. I have spoken with our housekeeping department to remind them that all rooms must have one.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Yelfs in the future.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

Stayed at Yelfs on 6/4/2014 for one night. Our room was at front of the hotel so very noisy late at night, could do with some double glazing. Heating seemed to go on and off sporadically. Bathroom was the smallest i have ever been in, couldnt open the door all the way due to sink, had trouble with turning the bath taps as they were almost flush to the wall. Plenty of hot water tho which was a plus. Bed not that comfy with some stains on the cover sheet. Wall paper peeling off the wall, half the lights did not work, huge brown stain on the ceiling above the bed. Tea making facilities good. Breakfast was not good, waitress kept trying to push smoked salmon, toast was very thin and cheap tasting, pastries hard. Tea and juice nice. Staff ok, not very friendly but not rude. Upside is there is free parking and hotel is central and near the beach. Didnt try the bar or restaurant. Overall quite poor, but what can you expect for £75 a night for a double room???

Room Tip: Rooms are front are noisy, room 7 isnt great
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Laura F

We appreciate your comments and take all of our reviews very serviously. We have undergone a major refurbishment on the outside of the hotel and our refurbishment programme is still continuing within the hotel itself. I am sorry that your room did not meet your expectations on this occasion. Mattresses are replaced as necessary so thank you for bringing this to my attention and I will speak with our laundry supplier regarding the quality of our bed linen.

We aim to provide good quality ingredients for meals served in the hotel including our breakfast menu. We use Kingsmill thick sliced bread for our toast and I did offer you and the other guests nearby the smoked salmon, but only so that you knew that other options other than the full English breakfast were available.

Our aim is to give every guest a enjoyable experience and I would like you to accept my apologies as we did not achieve this on this occasion. Please call me direct to discuss this matter further as we would love to welcome you back to Yelfs again in the future.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

We just got back from staying at yelf's hotel from Friday 28/03/14Sunday 30/03/14 this hotel is perfect for a good old relax. Rooms very clean and comfy .restaurant food is very good we had a birthday party for our daughter on Saturday they served all 17 together and all very hot . Breakfast in the morning they have it all and the staff very helpful and friendly.For the ale man I surge sat the Isle of Wight ale on tap and at only £3 a pint that's great . The bar menu is not over priced at all In fact it about the same price as most restuarants .but if you fancy a good meal and a little drive go to the foresters pub in gods hill this has a fantastic atmosphere but do book So a big thank you to all the staff at yelf's for making our daughters birthday go without a hitch and making us welcome

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Go to the IOW monthly and usually meet friends for Dinner and drinks at Yelfs . I like the place as its in the main street, standards are usually good, staff nice and helpful, and I used to go there for lunch with my Dad 20 years ago. Anyway, food not so good this time, usually its 8/10, this time 3/10. Chef must have been off as main courses were not that hot. mine was pretty tasteless. Went for banana fritters for dessert. Yuk. more like potato fritters in mush. Should be 2 stars for the food, but beer was great, so were the staff, prices quite good, so 3 stars this time.
Hope socks are pulled up soon , as tempted to try elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank JackDorset
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ryde
Lakeside Park Hotel & Spa
#3 of 5 in Newport
The Wight
The Wight
#5 of 29 in Sandown

Been to Yelf's Hotel? Share your experiences!