“helpful and good for weddings”
Review of Yelf's Hotel

Yelf's Hotel
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Ryde
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We attended a wedding and reception at this hotel. It doesn't look that impressive on the outside, but it was lovely inside. You could see the staff working hard to ensure that the wedding and reception ran smoothly. An example of this was checking the wedding cars had water for the happy couple after the ceremony as it was a very hot day. The decor and the room for the wedding and reception was very good and I would recommend the hotel for weddings based on this experience.

2  Thank S B

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Myself, my mum and my 4 month old baby stayed here along with 2 other groups that attended a family members wedding on the island .

When we arrived recently in July on a very hot day, we asked for the hotel car park. Reception gave us directions , when we found the car park we realised that is wasn't located very close to the main half of the hotel.
It wasn't until we attempted to get across to the main hotel we hit our first hurdle. Yes there was a ramp to the first door and a mini lift down to the bottom level. Only to find once you'd got to that level , there were 3 steps to go up and then another 35 steep steps to go down- not easy when pushing a pushchair and carrying luggage!
Then to cross the main road 3 more steps into the main hotel itself.

We were welcomed by a lovely member of staff at reception , who then went on to tell me there was no lift facilities in the hotel.
So again up another 20 -25 steps to get to our bedroom. Once in the bedroom it was very basic and quite dated decor.

Our first night sleep wasn't to bad, we thought the receptionist had mentioned us being at the back of the hotel as it was quieter. Well I wouldn't of liked being at the front because the noise that came from the main road was so loud we could hear every drunken person I think in a bar.
Another hurdle we faced was that there was no mini fridge - which for a budget hotel we didn't expect of. My problem was when I asked could I store 2-3 bottles of baby milk in a one there fridges, they happily said yes but I wouldn't be able to collect it myself . Again not a problem as assuming the fridge would be in kitchen area of some sort. Little did I know that I'd have to call the night porter several times during the night to get the milk. For when I said pleAse may I have boiling water- I didn't mind having to stay with the boiling water as I no business's with health and safety ect that my response was no. When I asked well could you pop it into the microwave they also said no.
So the only other Option was well are there tea facilities for the rooms which could include a kettle. We eventually got the milk situation sorted.

The morning of the wedding arrived so we obviously needed 2 adults and baby to get ready. With only 1 window that half open the room was boiling got, and to top it off our shower was only either boiling water that dribbling out or freezing cold wAter that dribbled out. We resulted in having to have a bath so we could alternate between the hot and cold. No windows in the bathrooms either!

To then have the annoying journey getting the pushchair down the stairs again.

Overall a very basic hotel. With a very low satisfaction regarding there facilities. Would never recommend for people using pushchairs and even wheelchairs. Baby changing facilities were non existent, mind you baby facilities all together we're non existent. Rooms and decor very basic and dated. Everywhere needed some TLC.

What I will say is the staff were brilliant they tried to help with certain issues we had, and the staff service around breakfast was also great .

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank JJLP23
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

Really enjoyed our stay here,nice and clean. Great atmosphere, friendly staff. Will be staying there again. Slightly dated decor in room. Location is brill, you can walk down to the oldest pier in the UK and watch the hovercraft. Train station is also on the sea front. Recommend Hotel for families and couples. Good breakfast. Nice seating area outside and conservatory.

Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Everything was absolutely superb. The reception room and buffet was excellent, the room was very spacious and comfortable, our friends and families who stayed alaso were very impressed. All the hotel staff could not have been more helpful especially Rebecca, Sarah and Harriet who all went out of their way to do as much as possible to make our stay so enjoyable. We would definitely recommend the hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Go for a lower floor as the stairs can be tiring
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jgood190
Reviewed 20 July 2014

A friend and I stayed at Yelf's on July 17th 2014 and found it very good value for money. The staff were extremely pleasant and helpful. The room was clean and fairly smart in appearance. The bathroom was very clean with a fantastic shower and the cooked breakfast was excellent. It was a Friday night and there was a fair amount of noise from the street but it didn't stop either of us from sleeping. We would definitely go back to Yelf's.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room.
2  Thank Geoff16839
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We stayed one night at Yelfs en route to another destination. It is located halfway up Ryde's main street in quite a busy location, but very convenient for the hovercraft terminal. We were allocated a room in the annexe. It was clean but very basic. The wardrobe door was broken, the bathroom freezing (and tile grout mouldy) the windows draughty and the lighting very basic with no bedside lights. Also, be aware that this road is well populated with pubs and bars and the street can be noisy with revellers at night. All in all more like student hostel accommodation than what we expected, but it did the job for our overnight. On the positive side the staff were friendly and the breakfast in the main building was very good.

Room Tip: I'd suggest you check which room you are getting before you book - looks like the main building...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 July 2014

This is the third time we have been to Yelfs, and as a party of 12 all of us can do nothing but say it was excellent, from the breakfast which was always fresh and hot and to the evening meals which were really special and such good value the Chef really has our praise. The management and all the staff are so helpful with nothing too much trouble. Will certainly be going again next year, thank you Yelfs.

Room Tip: We had room 27 which was on the top floor and had a great view.
2  Thank bob and chris y
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ryde
Lakeside Park Hotel & Spa
The Royal Hotel
The Royal Hotel
#1 of 9 in Ventnor
Luccombe Manor Country House Hotel

Been to Yelf's Hotel? Share your experiences!