“The feel of England proper; as it used to be.”
Review of Northbank Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Seaview
Northbank Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Seaview B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“The feel of England proper; as it used to be.”
Reviewed 10 June 2013

I have spoken about the Northbank before, the evening Dinner on Burns night.

I have returned to Seaview over the summer and so thought I would have Dinner on a gloriously sunny evening, overlooking the Solent, at the Northbank Hotel. The garden is now blooming with plants and flowers, and I sat by the sea wall at the end of the garden watching the small boats bobbing up and down at their moorings, the ferries arriving and departing, and longingly awaited the "Queen Mary 2" as she made her way, past Cowes, Ryde Pier, and on to "No Man's Land Fort", just off the Northbank Hotel. Ideal! Check if your favourite liner is to pass that night!

Dinner tonight listed "Fillet Steak" as the main course. I could not miss this! After the "Queen Mary 2" passed, in all her glory I ajourned from the "Nautical" bar with all it's pictures of the ships that had passed the Northbank over the last 120 years, to the cosy restaurant which looks out over the Solent. I started with "Seafood au gratin" served in a piping hot dish with the most incredible cheese sauce. Well, I had to apologise to the waitress for mopping up the sauce with the delicious bread provided. I would not normaly be so "un-English" but the sauce was simply far too good to waste by leaving it on the dish. I accompanied the first course with Pinot Grigio (£3 for a large glass) and ordered a large glass of Chillean Red (the same price) The wonderful fillet arrived (Isle of Wight meat) with a delicious gravy. The chips were absolutely perfect - large thick cut - and three vegetables - as much as one wanted. An absolute delight, and what a taste. I did not think I would taste such a perfect piece of fillet ever again. One can so often order a fillet steak for £20 or so and it is a lump of tasteless meat. Here, it is obviously "organic" and lovingly cooked to one's particular taste. I had to have a rest now, and watched the boats to and fro outside while the prospect of "pudding" loomed. I chose home made profiteroles - two - with chocolate sauce, again home made. No need for cream; absolutely delicious. I was tempted by the lovely cheese board on offer, but resisted; the lovely chocolate taste pervading in my mouth. Coffee and mints in the spacious lounge with views over the Solent, as the light faded and the blue sky darkened. What a way to end a sunny day. The Dinner was at the standard price of £25 and the drinks were, of course, extra.

They do not do dinner every night, only when ordered by the guests present - there were 10 that night, plus myself. If you are accompanied by children they do a child portion or a child menu, as well as earlier "teas" for the children. For the family, this is the perfect place on the Island. The wonderful gardens down to the sea, the beach and rocks beyond are ideal for "Crabbing" at low tide. The bar is perfectly stocked, the lounge comfortable and spacious, and the food - well I can only say that to dine at the Northbank is an experience of delight and pleasure that you will remember for a long time. This is a village of "times past" and this perfect "Hotel and Restaurant" will remind you of wonderful times spent in your youth. People have been coming here for generations time and again - they always come back to re-live the experience and it never fails to delight and please. I would not choose to dine anywhere else when on the Isle of Wight - and remember - they do not do dinner every night so it is best to ring and check if it is on when you are visiting, as well as check what ships are passing that evening. This is England proper; as it used to be.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view. There are no en-suite rooms, but, who cares! This is the England of the 50'...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank D C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Malmesbury
Reviewed 4 June 2013

Just spent three nights at this excellent hotel. Having read various review we were intrigued to find that this hotel was everything we had hoped, quirky, clean and fun. A room with a view across the Solent and a garden leading down to the sea. If you are after minibars and ensuites this is not for you but if you like something a little more characterful this is the place to come. Great breakfast too, we didn't need to eat all day after one! The owners are delightful and vey much like the hotel, quirky and fun and with a deep knowledge of the Island so very helpful.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank William A
Warwickshire
Reviewed 12 May 2013

Just returned from a lovely weekend on the Island that culminated in a superb value for money 4 course Sunday lunch in this idyllic little institution. Our first visit . . . but it definitely won't be our last. The Northbank is delightfully different. The eclectic bunch of staff were refreshing efficient and keen to interact. The dining room was full but the service was both slick and quick. Top quality food at a really reasonable price. The Bar was cozy and inviting and the fabulous garden with a view over the sea was enchanting. The Owners son is a pretty good angler too.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Kenyoga
london
Reviewed 7 May 2013

You'll love it or not want to come back ever!
We love it and come back every year (twice if we can).

Large, clean, comfortable rooms, with stunning views.
Delicious home-cooked meals. Home made marmalade that won Silver in the World Marmalade Awards!
Old-fashioned charm and service.
Family-friendly but not overly so - all the other guests were couples or singles.
Lovely garden with tables and chairs overlooking the Solent.
Direct access to the beach through a gate in the wall.

When you travel with young children you too often feel like you are 2nd class citizens in snooty hotels. A trip to a hotel shouldn't be like Sunday service and at the Northbank we've always been made to feel welcome and the children have enjoyed it too.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank EatPlayL0ve
Southsea
Reviewed 21 April 2013 via mobile

I just had a lovely homely three course Sunday lunch, cooked by the owner's wife on a thirties range - really, I'm told - served by lovely staff - silver service, followed by bottomless coffee in the delightful drawing room by the fire watching the Solent at the bottom of the garden... Get the picture?

We sat unmolested for ages after lunch, eventually dragged ourselves away from the fire, had to track down someone to pay the bill, and had a thoroughly great Sunday lunch. The bad news - they stop doing Sunday lunches in the high season so when it stops next month I'll have to wait a few months to eat there again.

The hotel is delightful and beautifully situated in a classic island location. I haven't stayed yet but I have no doubt the rooms will carry on the faded 50s theme. Love it!! The little hotel bar is fab also as is the dining room and drawing room. There is even a little cupboard in the hall with a door and an old Bakelite pyramid phone you can sit by. If you expect to actually call anyone on it then this is probably not the hotel for you.

My one regret is I was not there to witness the fracas unfold reported by the previous trip advisor! I can't wait to stay there. I might take a jumper. Basil!!!! Oh, evening major...

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank An_Experienced_Diner
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 January 2013

We stayed here while attending a wedding in sea view. The rooms are tiny, we couldn't get our suitcase into the room without moving the bed, and the headboard was dirty and stained with a cracked mirror over the grubby hand basin. The tea cups were chipped and the room was dirty. The owner was unfriendly and unhelpful when we asked for directions. Breakfast wasn't bad!, we will never return!!,

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ljh186311
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 January 2013

Last Friday I attended the "Burns Night" Dinner at the restaurant of the Northbank Hotel, on the water front at Seaview, Isle of Wight. I frequently have Sunday Lunch there and the food and service are absolutely wonderful week to week. I had hesitated about the Burns "do" because I thought that, perhaps, the food and service might be a bit down from the usual. Not a bit of it! There were over 60 people present, the tables were beautifully laid out, there was even a piper to bring in the Haggis! The menu for SUNDAY LUNCH from week to week is proper English food! None of this "two peas and a carrot" with a bit of sauce drizzled over - the inevitable "half empty plate" of the "Nouvelle Quisine" restaurant. Proper Island Beef, Pork, Lamb, Chicken alternates from week to week, wonderful garden vegetables - from their own allotment - perfectly prepared and served by the staff from silver dishes; not only that but as much as you desire. This business of bringing the main course out with a few tatty vegetables spread around the plate to make it look decent does, I am glad to say, not exist at the Northbank. Lovely crispy roast potatoes, always a selection of three vegetables, and wonderful sauces and gravies accompany each choice. There is always a fish and vegetarian item on the weekly menu.The desserts and Cheese Board are quite a delight. This is a Sunday Lunch not to miss out on if you live on the Isle of Wight, or if you are here on holiday over the winter. It is always the delight of my week when I am here. Mary, wife of the owner, prepares and cooks the food to such perfection, it is as if each guest is a member of her own family, she does it with so much love. I bet you will never want to "Sunday Lunch" anywhere else - and all for £15. This is a must and I cannot shout too loudly the myriads of praise I heap upon the Northbank Hotel!!!

Room Tip: The Hotel is open from Easter - October only and the rates are most reasonable - the food is absolut...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank D C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Seaview
Seaview Hotel
Royal Esplanade Hotel
Hotel Ryde Castle
Hotel Ryde Castle
#3 of 6 in Ryde

Been to Northbank Hotel? Share your experiences!