“Taster experience”

The Island Room at Priory Bay Hotel
Ranked #5 of 11 Restaurants in Seaview
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Priory Bay is the Isle of Wight’s leading country house hotel. Set within a 60-acre estate, it's period buildings have spectacular views out to sea, with gardens and woodland running down to the bay. It inspires our chefs to use the finest seasonal ingredients, whether foraged, farmed or fished we are passionate about local produce. James Trevaskis and Oliver Stephens have both returned to the Isle of Wight to run the restaurant and kitchen at the Priory Bay Hotel. James and Oliver started their careers at Priory Bay and then went on to hone their skills in London, Paris and Copenhagen.
Woking, United Kingdom
“Taster experience”
Reviewed 25 January 2014

I'll say right away there is nothing to dislike. The whole memorable experience it's very hard to find the right words that give it the praise it deserves. My best advise, you just need to try for yourself to see what I mean. Front of house service from James enhanced every mouthful of food with his very knowledgeable descriptive details accompanying each course. Everything was cooked to amazing high standard by Oliver back of house. A master craftsman cooking from his heart. Thank-you both for making our 25th Anniversary dinner the perfect occasion!

Visited January 2014
1 Thank RoyOz

Fleet, United Kingdom
“Beautiful room for New Year's Eve dining!”
Reviewed 8 January 2014

We had booked for the set lunch at the Priory Bay Oyster (Brasserie) but when we arrived were shown into the Island Room, perhaps as it was 2 o'clock and there was only one other table occupied at the time. I really is a beautiful room with frescoes all around and complete with an enormous Christmas tree in the alcove. Unfortunately we were unable to enjoy the views as it was rather wet and misty, but we thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere and experience for a good couple of hours as we ploughed our way through three courses and a bottle of wine. A perfect end to 2013!

• Visited December 2013
“High tea - lovely”
Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

I took my mum here for her birthday and we had high tea. Really lovely assortment of cakes, scones, savoury pieces. The waiter was lovely and really helpful. We came on a Saturday and it was so lovely and quiet and peaceful that we sat in the drawing room and ate it near the fire. It was special and just what I wanted for my mum. Would definitely come back. We even took some of the food home with us which they were happy to wrap up. Presentation great - high praise to the chefs too.

brighton
“Noma on the Isle of Wight!”
Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

It is interesting to see how polarised the reviews are for this restaurant. I know that this 'foraging' type experience is not for everyone, but I wonder how many of the diners who gave this restaurant one star would give Noma the same rating. I have dinned at Noma, and now, happily, at the Island Room, and I can tell you that the experiences are very similar. This is not surprising given that the chef, Oliver, has worked at Noma.

Perhaps I'm biased; I love the whole taster menu thing - but I thought the food was excellent. I will not bore you with every course (about 15, I think), but the ones that stand out are (1) the potatoes ("I dug them up 20 minutes ago; I thought they'd taste nice"). They were amazing. (2) the Dover Sole, the whole fish was brought to the table cooking in its juices. (3) the sirloin beef, which was again brought to the table having been hung for 48 days, coated in something amazing and cooked with burnt hay. (4) a truly unique desert that combined frozen yoghurt and warm runny mash potato (sounds revolting, but was amazing. Can't explain why!). (5) the milk lollies at the end. I see that one reviewer thought they were revolting; he/she had clearly never enjoyed them in the 80s.

Oliver was a brilliant host, and we will definitely be back. If the Michelin inspectors who loved Noma come to the Island Room the restaurant will secure one star minimum, possibly two.

Oliver - keep it up and I look forward to seeing you soon!

Visited October 2013
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“We ate in the large scrubbed tables room at the Priory Bay, I'm not sure what its called - maybe it wasn't the Island Ro”
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Terrible!! The "Heritage" tomato salad at £7.95 was simply quartered tomatoes without even the stalk cut out with a bit of dressing, thrown on a plate. Then I had Dover Sole which was not cooked, so I sent it back. The c bef sent the waiter out with the message that the fish was perfectly cooked and I was wrong but he was prepared to cook it some more! Incredible! When it was eventually returned it had barely been cooked any more and when I cut into it it had not even been gutted properly and there was a lot of blood. Disgusting. Wont go there again!

• Visited September 2013