“Very, very disappointed”

The Island Room at Priory Bay Hotel
Ranked #6 of 11 Restaurants in Seaview
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Priory Bay is the Isle of Wight’s leading country house hotel. Set within a 60-acre estate, it's period buildings have spectacular views out to sea, with gardens and woodland running down to the bay. It inspires our chefs to use the finest seasonal ingredients, whether foraged, farmed or fished we are passionate about local produce. James Trevaskis and Oliver Stephens have both returned to the Isle of Wight to run the restaurant and kitchen at the Priory Bay Hotel. James and Oliver started their careers at Priory Bay and then went on to hone their skills in London, Paris and Copenhagen.
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Went to Priory Bay for afternoon tea and wish we had not bothered. The pot of tea (no hot water supplied to top up) was brought 20 minutes before the food. By then the tea had gone and I had to go and request some hot water.

The food was dumped unceremoniously on the table with no explanation on what anything was and we did not see any member of staff again. No one bothered to come and see if everything was okay or even if we wanted anything.

The cucumber sandwich (don't know where the juniper mentioned on the menu was) was awful - no flavour at all. Salmon sandwich was okay.

Scones were alright but did not really have a great deal of flavour.

There was a slice of some sort of cake with some spread on it but I could not identify what it was as again it lacked any sort of flavour. There was a glass with chocolate mouse in the top with something at the bottom but I could not detect what it was. The individual victoria sandwiches were okay but the shortbread again lacked flavour. There were cubes of some jelly but I could not tell you the flavour.

All in all, I was very shocked at how bad the tea was and how bad the service was.

Will not be going again. It's a shame as I have tasted a wide range of afternoon teas in places such as the Ritz in London and this is probably the 2nd worse one I have ever had!

1  Thank KatieKillerQueen77
There are newer reviews for The Island Room at Priory Bay Hotel

Reviewed 12 February 2014

Wonderful lunch - please see my comments on the general page for the Priory Bay Hotel.

Had a splendid, locally sourced meal in splendid surroundings!

1  Thank Mike D
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

Celebrated a family member's birthday here with High Tea- what a fantastic experience! There were 14 of us though the staff were still extremely attentive and provided excellent customer service. The building itself and surroundings are beautiful and the High Tea was divine- delicious treats, tea and coffee, which included locally sourced produce! A big thank you to the manager Caroline and her team. Would definitely recommend!

1  Thank xXloulabelleXx
Reviewed 25 January 2014

I'll say right away there is nothing to dislike. The whole memorable experience it's very hard to find the right words that give it the praise it deserves. My best advise, you just need to try for yourself to see what I mean. Front of house service from James enhanced every mouthful of food with his very knowledgeable descriptive details accompanying each course. Everything was cooked to amazing high standard by Oliver back of house. A master craftsman cooking from his heart. Thank-you both for making our 25th Anniversary dinner the perfect occasion!

1  Thank RoyOz
Reviewed 8 January 2014

We had booked for the set lunch at the Priory Bay Oyster (Brasserie) but when we arrived were shown into the Island Room, perhaps as it was 2 o'clock and there was only one other table occupied at the time. I really is a beautiful room with frescoes all around and complete with an enormous Christmas tree in the alcove. Unfortunately we were unable to enjoy the views as it was rather wet and misty, but we thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere and experience for a good couple of hours as we ploughed our way through three courses and a bottle of wine. A perfect end to 2013!