“One of the best of the Island...”
Review of Priory Bay Hotel

Priory Bay Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Seaview
Reviewed 12 February 2014

A filthy day at the beginning, thrashing with rain, blowing a gale, to step into the reception today was definitely joyous! There was a warm quiet about the place, unhurried, relaxed, calm and very delightful.

We had come to the Priory for a celebration lunch, we wanted something special, we were looking forward to it and WOW! how it delivered!

The chef's lunch menu of the day featured a number of locally sourced or foraged items. The staff went to great lengths to explain what everything was, which is very helpful to non-Island folk in particular who might be worrying if Gallybagger was catching! (Its a type of pure local cheese).

The first thing to appear was some complimentary home-baked toasted bread, complete with locally made butter. What an epicurean experience that is!

Our starters involved a medley of fresh vegetables and Island truffle plus for me some aged ham which was exquisite. Mains with the tenderest, rarest duck, triple fried chips, crisp greens and a whole plaice garnished with tender mussels, provided a total gourmet experience in itself.

There was more - much more. Possibly one of the best apple crumbles around and for me, a burnt custard, well that's what it was called. It was actually a crème Brule style custard, definitely made by angels, with a huge quenelle of the most intense chocolate mousse I have ever encountered.

Relaxing afterwards with beautiful teas, impeccably served in crisp white china, the sun had come out, we could see the angry sea and proceeded down the hill to walk off the excess of this wonderful meal.

Mike Drinkwater (from Ryde)

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mike D

Reviewed 7 February 2014

We took advantage of the winter break offer and were not disappointed. Booking was prompt, helpful and accurate. The ferry crossing was covered. We received a friendly welcome from reception; offer of help with bags to our room; comfortable accommodation with spectacular views. All whims catered for - silencing of background music; prompt attention to open fire. We had three dinners and breakfasts: ample, varied and delicious. All staff were pleasant and attentive. A well earned and enjoyed short holiday.

Room Tip: We had a south facing room (4) with a panoramic, 180 degree view.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank TLC6491
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I would recommend this hotel to anyone. The room, staff, food, location are all superb! It's a little off the beaten track, but it's very much worth going that extra distance. It even has a lovely private beach.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MarkPrince
Reviewed 25 January 2014

With our 25th anniversary coming up January 2014 I decide had to make it a special memorable trip away so I'd be honest and say my first thoughts were to fly off to some topical location. However I find that my wife's passport was out of date and quickly realized my romantic dream of a nice walk along a sand beach simply may not happen.

Then I stumbled across Priory Bay Hotel positioned on scenic hill top overlooking the ocean with it's own private sandy beach. Can't get anymore prefect and than that staying in the UK. The icing on the cake for me was to discover how genuine friendly and professional all the staff at the hotel are. Never stayed on the Island before so it was so very reassuring when Johanne called me back to confirm right booking choices and help me arrange flowers for our room. So before we even arrived and had total confidence I'd made the right choice.

The Superior double room I choose was fantastic, I love the warm charm of the building enhanced with the very stylish period furniture. Breakfast was included and I noticed the attention to detail taken by Richard to preempt the need to make any requests. The Taster dinning experience arranged and served by James, cooked masterful precision by Oliver was "out of this world" and with both agreed was a very memorable evening meal just right for our occasion.

Room Tip: With any type of booking or package you choose, it's worth asking if you can pay upgrade fee for...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RoyOz
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Arrival 31 December 2013 for the New Year Package did not really live up to the advertised mini break. Various buckets were strategically placed to catch the leaking water coming in through the roof. The smell in reception was awful and first impressions were not good. The weather was appalling which was unfortunate and the hotel could do little about this, however, the room was fabulous, overlooking the sea and garden. Cream tea was disappointing and we waited too long for this to be served. Apparently, the scone (a single huge scone each) was given to other guests by mistake and had to be re-ordered. "Boogie into the new year " suggests a dance floor and dance music. The Dining area was too restrictive, there was no dance area.The music was very good but not dance music.
The package included a New Year Day's traditional hunt meet, however, no further information was given apart from this event being on the advertised programme. The staff didn't seem to know what was happening about this but since the weather was bad it was assumed that this had been cancelled. There was no alternative planned. In summary, disappointing. The whole advertised package, in our opinion, was misleading. This hotel is trying hard but not really hitting the spot.

Room Tip: Room 6 overlooking the gardens, golf course and sea.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 January 2014

my sister and i arrived on a cold winters day - almost within moments of arrival a fire was lit for us - tea was brought to us - we had decided to escape london for a couple of days - and immediately the warmth and kindness of all those at the priory bay worked its magic - we realised we had found an absolute paradise - beautiful grounds complete with a magical glimpse of wandering pheasant and a red squirrel to add to our delight - dinner was truly five star - the informed and attentive staff made our choices of wine to accompany our meal a joy - we know we will go back - a short trip from london - but an idyllic world apart -

Room Tip: we were at the top of the house - stunning views - a little balcony - spacious room -
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Jane S
Reviewed 8 January 2014

We visited the Priory Bay Hotel to celebrate my 40th birthday, with the children safely delivered to their grandparents beforehand.

We arrived slightly early for check in but this was no trouble, there had been some water damage to one of the stair areas leading up to the room we booked but the staff had booked us a different room in case it was not something we were happy with, it wasn't so bad and so we stuck with the gorgeous room we had initially booked.

The room was beautiful, clean and airy. Sumptuous and sultry, it was a perfect room for a weekend away, we loved the maroon roll top bath in the room, and used it lots over the weekend.

My partner's Dad had paid for us to have a meal in the restaurant on the Friday night along with champagne as a birthday gift and whilst we aren't keen on the foraged food, the main menu delivered yummy goodies!

After dinner we moved to a lounge area and my partner had arranged a beautiful birthday cake to be brought to me with 40 candles on, the staff sang Happy Birthday and the cake they had made was delicious.

The rest of the weekend was the same, the champagne (lots of it) was drunk through the weekend, in our room, in the restaurant and one of my favourite times was in The Drawing Room whilst reading our books. I felt thoroughly spoiled and totally relaxed, as a busy Mum of three boys, that's what this weekend was about - total indulgence and relaxation.

Thank you all so much, you really did make my birthday special.

I wont name the lovely staff in case I miss anyone off, but all of you that we encountered were completely perfect, polite and capable.

We will be back soon as we plan to make it a regular thing :)

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Anna H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Seaview
The Royal Hotel
Lakeside Park Hotel & Spa
The Wight
The Wight
#5 of 29 in Sandown

Been to Priory Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!