“Oh dear - a very tired”
Review of Seaview Hotel

Seaview Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Seaview
Reviewed 23 July 2012

We haved stayed at the Seaview several times before and after a 3 year absence were really looking forward to our return visit. First we were shown to room 3 which we stayed in on our last visit, room looked slighty shabby and now rather dated, and then we remembered about the sound from the kitchen extractor, however the lovely receptionist managed to find us another room (12) which we took. However the bathroom smelt slightly damp and was very dated, the bedroom soft furnishings and carpet look as though they've been there for 20 years and the walls repainted with whatever colour was to hand. We were attending a family reunion on the island so had a light lunch which was very nice and up to standard. The 'little touchs' in the room were just as sweet as ever, a turn down service (rare these days), horlicks and mug at the bedside, slippers waiting and a daily news sheet and crossword. The young staff were delightful,and tried their best, but suffered from a total lack of training, there was only one young man looking after both bars late (sunny) afternoon on Saturday and he didn't know how to make a Pims, it took 30 minutes to get scrambled egg at breakfast on Sunday as there didn't seem to be a proper chef around and we had to have children's cartons of apple juice as proper stuff had run out. We asked to see the manager when we checked out - we were told he was in London for the weekend and there was no duty manager either - and this was the first weekend of the main summer holidays. We were told that the manager would call us today on our return - we're still waiting.Please Seaview management - get your act together, and stop liviing on past glories.
This is a disgrace at quite a high price.

Room Tip: Book the the rooms in the 'new wing' by the car park.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank RayandJenny
There are newer reviews for Seaview Hotel

Reviewed 23 July 2012

We have stayed her regularly over the last 5 years. Whilst the ownership of the property has not changed the management has and this year they far exceeded my expectations. The receptionist who greeted us was second to none and the overall feel of the hotel staff was so much better. It was lovely to see Phillipa again at breakfast She is so much in control carefully guiding and instructing her young team.

The rooms were lovely we stayed in the new block this time. Nice quality shampoo etc and dressing gowns and even an Iron and a fan in the room!!!

The Isle of Wight is really like stepping back in time 30 years its beautiful. Good old fashioned service.

Well done Seaview this year your service and atmostphere overall was so much better - I would give you *****

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank WOODWARDS1
Reviewed 21 July 2012

A delightful hotel with pleasant bedrooms and excellent food. Very close to the sea.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank drwinbow
Reviewed 17 July 2012

My weekend at the Seaview was also a birthday gift for my 80-year-old friend. The room for the friend was not the one I thought I was getting (it was actually half the size of the one I had been shown when checking out the accommodations on an earlier visit) and my room had a beautiful view of the carpark, but the interiors were clean and comfortable. The water in the bath was instantly hot and free flowing which was great; the toilet didn't flush without taking the lid off the cistern and fiddling which was not great. The reservation process (conducted by email) seemed to be focused on my obligations to the hotel rather than what they could and would offer me. A £50 non-refundable deposit was taken up front and I was informed to get travel insurance because even illness would not justify having it returned. The hotel offers in-house parking but again I was told that it fills up quickly and to expect to park on the street--my room view of the parking area confirmed that it did, in fact, fill quickly being so small (which was good since there were few cars coming and going to disturb my peace and quiet at night). I stated in passing that we would be leaving the Island sometime in the afternoon and I was immediately warned that I had to be checked out by some time in the morning or I would be charged extra. Morning newspaper came sometime around 8.0 which meant that I read it over breakfast rather than in my room as I would have liked. The second day there was no newspaper and when I asked at reception got the feeling that I wasn't believed. I was asked if I had actually asked for The Telegraph and not some other paper--I had given the receptionist my Telegraph tokens on arrival. They did finally manage to find someone else's newspaper--I wondered if that person had to go through the same question-and-answer session. The breakfast staff were completely different both days but both groups were equally pleasant and helpful. A cup of coffee ordered with three separate staff the second day took 45 minutes to arrive and actually came as we were leaving the table. The wine person (don't remember her name) was genuinely pleasant both in the restaurant and on the street when we passed each other the following day by accident.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 July 2012

What an incredible place. I can't really find much negative to say so let's go through what was good. My room was in what can best be described as the rear gate house and was superb. A good size, very new with good modern fittings and a real stylish character. The view may have been of rooftops, but I wasn't here to loaf and look out of the window so i didn't mind. The bathroom was also great with a brilliant huge bath and TV set over it, not my normal combo but good fun after a hard day's exercise. The towels were the size of bed sheets so you barely needed the bathrobes they also supplied. The bath "tap" in the ceiling was different, stay there and find out!

The food and bar were also both good, the bar with real character and great real ales. The food served in a friendly way where it felt that the staff couldn't do enough for you, it was more like being looked after by a friend's doting mother than a member of staff.

I will say the room was £180, so not cheap, some of the older less well equipped rooms cost less, but as the stay was so good I still had to give this place 5*.

Room Tip: Gate house rooms are expensive but well appointed, main hotel rooms are cheaper, but MIGHT have a go...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 June 2012

I cannot beleive the previous review and having just returned from a trip to seaview hotel I can confirm what a great hotel this is.The food is as ever great,we had the fish pie and it was yummy !
The staff from Lauren on reception,philipa in the morning and laurence at dinner are a credit to the hotel,the location is perfect despite the current weather and I would highly recommmend a stay here.To the previous reviewer to compare the food to a service station is a discredit to yourself !

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 June 2012

We had a "superior" room number 16 and to be honest at £160 per night this was not great value. The carpet was frayed and the bathroom was in need of modernising since the toilet was heavily stained. The room was dusty and made me sneeze and the furniture looked like it had seen better days with the bed throw also being stained....not what you would expect for £160 per night......The location was great and most of the staff treated us in a friendly way. The food (I put this down to some staff issues) was not great....it took nearly and hour to serve our food and I had the home made chilli that did not contain chilli nor any sauce...there was also a complaint about the fish pie from two of our table and they did take the three meals off the bill. The breakfast had a nice selection but again was slow. The sausages had not been great quality (more service station) and was overcooked. We had been part of a wedding party so you do not want to make a fuss at the time. If the room had cost around £80-£100 this would be more in line of what we received and therefore all of these other issues would not be rated in this way.....I hate to leave a place feeling like you have been a little fleeced...

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Seaview
The Royal Hotel
Lakeside Park Hotel & Spa
Luccombe Hall Hotel
Luccombe Hall Hotel
#7 of 51 in Shanklin

Been to Seaview Hotel? Share your experiences!