“Second time visit”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Seaview
Poole, United Kingdom
“Second time visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

We recently stayed for our second time, my parents' first, and were not disappointed. I was able to request the two outside rooms which are lovely and sunny and my parents were really impressed by the decor and the bathroom. (We were anyway). This is where we stayed last time with our dog which was really handy with the outside seating area.
Really like the bar, quite cosy and full of interesting memorabilia.
Lovely evening meal, really tasty and full of flavour. Attentive staff.
Nice breakfast, good choice of food.
Hopefully we will be back again sometime and this time we should try and stay in the main hotel and see one of the rooms there!
Very helpful and friendly staff throughout the hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Seaview-Hotel A, General Manager at Seaview Hotel, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
It was lovely to read your review and we are glad that you had an enjoyable stay.

Many people comment on the nautical memorabilia and over the years we have had many kind donations to our display.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Kind regards

Tracy Mikich

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Polish first
Paraty
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

The Seaview Hotel in Seaview, Isle of Wight has been a popular destination for visitors and locals alike for many years. Changing hands a few years ago has meant many changes to the look and feel of the hotel. Diners have been disappointed with the quality of the food, long wait to be served and lack of warmth and greeting. Now with a new Chef and under a new management, the hotel seems to be getting back to its old self. New decor and new themed evenings are helping to encourage diners back. Lunched there the other day and had delicious fish and chips served promptly with a smiling and helpful service. Other diners have reported similar experiences. Let's hope this improvement continues ..... good value for money in a not cheap area!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Seaview-Hotel A, Manager at Seaview Hotel, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for noticing our improvements.

We have all worked very hard this year and everyone is dedicated to making our small hotel the best it can be.

Kind regards

Tracy Mikich
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

We have just spent two nights at the Seaview Hotel. The hotel staff were all welcoming and helpful. The room was classed as a 'Modern Room' and was in a separate building at the back of the hotel. The room was very comfortable and quiet. We dined in the hotel on one evening and this was delicious. The breakfast was really very good and better than some we have eaten in four/five star hotels. The breakfast is freshly cooked to order and there is an excellent choice for the cooked breakfast from smoked salmon and scrambled eggs to the most delicious pancakes and the staff were very attentive and courteous nothing was too much trouble. Location is great. A lovely place to stay and relax.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Traveller T
Seaview-Hotel A, Public Relations Manager at Seaview Hotel, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
I am very pleased to hear you had a relaxing visit and enjoyed the location and thank you for taking time to post a review.

Very best, Tracy Mikich
Suffolk, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

The hotel:
This is a beautiful hotel, our room was number 15 which has a view of the sea out of it's two windows, (out of one you can see the sea from the bed) it is beautifully decorated, the bed was luxuriously comfortable and it was the perfect place to spend our first wedding anniversary. The hotel is also perfectly located, very close to the seafront, not far from a bus stop, and if you don't mind a small walk there are plenty of roads to park in which are free of charge just up the hill.
The hotel is steeped in history, we spent a long time in the hallways and on the stairs admiring all of the old photographs, letters from the Titanic, and other snippets of history. The reception staff were friendly and helpful.
Breakfast........
I have to say it was perfect but for the service at breakfast. We'd checked in advance they had porridge and soya milk as my husband has difficult dietary requirements. The breakfast room was obviously busy but they had around 5 staff serving which would have meant maybe 4 tables each which is perfectly manageable. However they were all running around like headless chickens!!! No one was allocated to clearing tables, or taking orders, so we were ignored the majority of the time, and had to really push to have our order taken. We were told to 'stay' when we entered the breakfast room which the waitress went into the kitchen, she then lead us to the table. The attitude from the waitress was over efficient and rude she seemed very hurried, but it was unnecessary they just lacked organisation. I was also informed that if I wanted a hot drink which wasn't tea or coffee (I don't like either) I would have to pay extra for it, which I wasn't happy about as when you spend nearly £200 to stay for 1 night you would expect a bit more choice of drink for breakfast! This wasn't added to my bill when I checked out, so I assume they either decided against charging me or weren't organised enough too...
I had the full English breakfast which was lovely, but the toast was cold when delivered to the table, and at no point was I offered any sauces such as ketchup to go with it, and nor would any of the waiters stop bustling around so I could ask them. My husbands porridge was delivered separately, so he had finished long before my breakfast arrived, and it was quite simply pathetic. Less than you would give a baby for breakfast, he'd finished within about 4 spoonfuls. But with it being so difficult to get anyone's attention we gave up trying for another bowl, and he left hungry. It was really disappointing after such a wonderful experience with the room. We weren't the only ones in the breakfast room left waiting and frustrated. A large party arrived as we were leaving, they too were ordered to 'stay' and didn't look to happy about it!
So all in all, it's a lovely hotel but the breakfast experience really let it down, and I feel they really need to focus on their customer service there especially as people are paying so much to stay there. As a result I don't think I'd want to stay again, as I got better service for breakfast when I last stayed in a premier inn on the cheap!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Claire G
Seaview-Hotel A, Guest Relations Manager at Seaview Hotel, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
I am sincerely sorry about the breakfast service during your visit. Sometimes we do get things wrong and over that busy bank holiday we were fully booked. Breakfast is served between 7 and 10am and on that morning nearly 60 guests came down altogether which caused operational issues and as a result service fell short of the mark. Our management team did speak to guests individually about this and I am sorry we did not get an opportunity to hear your frustrations before you left. We will work harder to resolve these type of issues as we only want you to have the best possible time.

Thank you for choosing the Seaview Hotel and I do hope that you will return.

Best wishes, Tracy Mikich
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

Have just returned from a one night stay at the Seaview Hotel. We arrived Sunday, late morning and were shown to our room immediately. Fantastic modern room, well decorated in the "Farrow and Ball" style with large funky bath complete with in tile TV and drench head shower.
We had lunch on the terrace at the front of the hotel in the beautiful weather, this was marred slightly by a couple of locals who were enjoying the excellent bar within the hotel a little too enthusiastically.
We had a superb dinner in the restaurant that evening The crab starter is to die for and the Sea Bream with samphire sublime. All washed down with a good Sancerre at a reasonable price. Breakfast , again was very good, great choice and most ingredients sourced from the hotel owners farm.
The staff were, without exception excellent. Friendly, helpful and smiling. Special thanks go to the young lady who looked after our bags and then showed us around several rooms in the hotel to compare softness of mattress for my wife.
Will we return?
Absolutely.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank IndecisiveOttaman
Seaview-Hotel A, General Manager at Seaview Hotel, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
It was a pleasure to read your review and getting things right so you have lovely and relaxing stay is our goal.

Some of our fish are caught within sight of the hotel - our head chef can even tell you the name of the boat!

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Best wishes, Tracy Mikich
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and I popped over to the Isle of Wight for the bank holiday weekend. We had read many good reviews about this hotel (award winning and a book has been written about it) so we were looking forward to our stay.

Unfortunately, it did not live up to expectations. The room was OK but the shower curtain had mildew on it and the bed was small (although I realise a standard double is what most hotels use). At £160 per night, I expected a lot more for my money. Had the room been £60 I would have written a very different review, as the price would have been more reflective of the service and facilities.

We did not eat at the restaurant, so cannot comment on that. The breakfast though was very average, nothing to run home about. The mushrooms were rubbery and overcooked and hash browns seemed to have come out a packet. For an award winning restaurant and kitchen I would have liked freshly made and prepared.

Hotel staff were friendly, polite and helpful, so I cannot fault that. Just a shame about the rest. I welcome feedback from management and my advice would be to substantially lower your prices; unless you decide to significantly improve your facilities and food etc to reflect the current price.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Retro_Robyn
I am very sorry that you had a disappointing time and I believe one of my colleagues will be contacting you about this.

Our breakfast offering is cooked fresh to order. I have passed on your comments to the breakfast chef. On a recent AA inspection we narrowly missed 2AA rosettes - I had a long chat with the inspector who was very impressed with our food offering, saying it was 'food he wanted to eat' and the unique and independent feel of the hotel.

The last 18 months have been somewhat of a rebirth and we have invested in refurbishments and in particular our kitchen offering. We are as a team dedicated toward preserving the individual spirit of the hotel and giving us feedback can only help us along this path.

Very best regards, Tracy Mikich
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

We had a 4 night stay over the easter weekend. we couldn't have been made to feel more welcome, the staff were helpful at all times. The room had basic disabled facilities that more than suited our needs, The bed was comfortable and we both slept well, The toiletries in the bathroom are from damana range, I wish I could buy them for use at home. We ate in the hotel for lunch and dinner, the quality of the food is excellent, my other half should know he worked in the catering industry for 15 yrs. There is Goddards beer on tap in the bar (brewed on the island) It is too drinkable! We had a relaxing time and will be back

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank greenshamba
Seaview-Hotel A, Manager at Seaview Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Thank you for your review and for spending Easter weekend with us.

It is particularly nice to hear praise from an industry professional and the chef was delighted with your feedback.

Goddards is not just for drinking, we use it in our beer batter as well :)

We do hope to see you again.

Best regards, Tracy Mikich
Also consider these accommodations in or near Seaview
The Royal Hotel
BEST WESTERN New Holmwood Hotel & Restaurant
The Hambrough
The Hambrough
#2 of 9 in Ventnor

Been to Seaview Hotel? Share your experiences!