“Lovely”
Review of The Needles

The Needles
More attraction details
Owner description: Large chalk rock formations off the western tip of the island.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We first visited here in the summer but couldn’t get on the car park. We returned in November and there was hardly anyone around. We walked down to the beach and got the chair lift back. The blue sky, ocean sounds and little arcade were enjoyed by us all. Perfect visit for families

Date of experience: November 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (3,783)
All reviews
in 84 reviews
"chairlift ride"
in 76 reviews

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I was really looking forward to seeing the Needles as a natural rock formation on my first ever visit to the Isle of Wight (from Australia) but was really quite disappointed.
First there's a big red and white structure right at the end of them (I've since learned that it's The Needles Lighthouse), but as it's a navigational safety device, I can't quibble with that - it serves an essential purpose as doubtless they would be a danger to shipping when visibility is poor, and blending it in with the rocks rather defeats the object of the exercise.
But I can quibble about the £5 parking fee. Admittedly, it is for all-day parking, but if you're only going to see the Needles themselves (because you're not into amusements - you just want to walk up to the cliff and soak up the the natural beauty - less then an hour), it's an overkill, price-wise.
Plus when you walk up to the cliff overlooking the Needles, you have to pay more to go into the old battery, though there are free views from the old rocket testing facility.
There is also a free lookout from the amusement park, but naturally enough, you have to pay for the chairlift from which it would appear you get good views.
It just seemed that I was putting my hand into my pocket all the time, and there were only a couple of points where you got a view without having to pay extra.

Date of experience: October 2018
Reviewed 7 November 2018

We took the bus here after visiting Osborne House. Would have been enough time for a visit except someone told us it was a 20 minute walk to the needles. More than 1 hour each way, unless you're a runner, in my opinion. Getting there is all uphill, but not a bad incline. By the time we got to the battery, it was closed. Walked back down, and shops, etc were shutting down. We missed the next-to-the last bus, and were the only ones left. It would have been an expensive Uber ride, for sure, but one last bus came. It was dark by the time we got back to Ryde. Our fault. We should have checked. The area had a few little shops, and restaurants/snacks, but my biggest surprise was the monument and plaques about Marconi. Interesting!

Date of experience: September 2018
Reviewed 6 November 2018 via mobile

The views are lovely and the lift to the beach is great but the rest is just a poor touristy rip off. Restaurant very expensive and more like a canteen would be nice to have different tea rooms and choices.
Car parking was pricey too
Much nicer places on isle of wight

Date of experience: October 2018