“Thoroughly recommend”

Weston Manor Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 11 Totland Bay B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 December 2013

This is a B&B with character. Ticks all the boxes for the fundimentals, clean, comfortable, good breakfast, but what really makes it stand out is the friendly welcome and unique Pugin Chapel which is part of the origional manor house and can be entered "Narnia fashion" though an unassuming door on the upstairs corridor. Vicky gave an insightful 20 minute tour of this amazing gem of Pugin's decorative genius.

All in all, something above what you would expect from a normal B&B.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank J0hnn07

Reviewed 11 November 2013

We drove up on a very wet dark night to find two static caravans out front, were slightly concerned at this. However, our concerns were quickly resolved as we received a very warm welcome from Vikki and Mike. The room we were lead to was beautiful decorated with lovely amenities, and the bathroom was really well equipped with a really nice hot shower. That night Vikki helped with a reservation at a local pub and the food was amazing.
The breakfast the following morning was equally to a high standards as well as being made to feel homely. Vikki has so much knowledge of the local area and local pubs. We really enjoyed our stay and would thoroughly recommend it. I would also Highly recommend the bed is was so comfortable didn't want to get up in the morning!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Karina H
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I stayed at Weston Manor for 2 nights (29th/30th October 2013) which turned out to be another sound accommodation choice made off the back of the positive reviews I had seen on Trip Advisor.

When I arrived I was greeted by Vicky who was very apologetic about the work being done on the property (they were having to have some doors replaced) but to be honest, I didn't actually notice - it was that unobtrusive.

My room cost £50 per night on a B&B basis and I admit to being somewhat taken aback by how spacious it was for a single. Aside from a calming pastel colour scheme, a lovely open fireplace and a few other subtle touches in keeping with the room's style, it also had a comfy tub chair big enough that I could curl up in when I got back from my days' walking rather than having to lounge about on my bed as can sometimes be the case. The bed...OMG ...really comfy and I slept like a log on both nights. The en-suite shower room was fresh, clean and had a sense of being spacious.

Breakfast comprised a selection of cereals, fresh fruit and juice as well as the usual cooked options. I had (an almost) Full English which was well cooked and tasty - more than enough to see me through my day's hiking.

After breakfast on my first morning, myself and the other guests accepted Vicky's offer of a tour around the chapel which forms an integral part of the manor house and separates the B&B business and the self-catering side on its other side which is run by Vicky's brother. I'm about as far away from being religious as it is possible to get but I found the chapel a really interesting place to view/wander around - as was Vicky's narration of its history and various uses over time. Also of interest was the photo album in the breakfast room which shows the work that has been undertaken by Vicky and her husband to get the building from where it was 3 years previously up to the standard it is today.

As far as location goes, it is less than 10minutes walk to the car park at the start of the 7mile Tennyson Down trail. The Needles and the Batteries are a relatively short drive away and to round off your day there is reportedly a very good local pub within a 5minute stroll from the manor although I never made it there myself. Vicky had very kindly sorted me out some "local walks" booklets which was helpful as I had been undecided as to what to do to maximise my last day of my trip.

I would recommend Weston Manor to anyone visiting the Isle of Wight. Although it is off to the west side, the island is comparatively small and easy to get from A to B with very little journey time in between. Personally, I think it was £100 well spent.

There are loads of the usual "tourist" type sights if you like that sort of thing along with a range of places of local interest/history and no end of walking/cycle route options. Although I spent my time on the island striding purposefully along sections of the southern coastal path which was brilliant fun, I intend taking my bike over with me for an extended stay next time.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank jackie_robinson2
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I totally agree with all previous reviews of this excellent B&B. I stayed recently as part of a walking group and VIcki and Mike made our stay one of the most memorable ever. The rooms are superb. Spotlessly clean, soft beds and pillows and some of the best bathrooms I've seen outside a 5* hotel.

If ever you're in the Isle of Wight, stay here!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank londontraveller445
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Excellent B&B with comfortable, very clean, well decorated, ensuite rooms - and a hearty breakfast. The grounds are a delight (and I imagine more so in the summer when you can sit out in the garden) and a visit to the private Chapel within the manor house is a special and unusual treat. Nearest ferry port is Yarmouth (from Lymington Pier). If on foot you will need a taxi to get from Yarmouth to the B&B. Tip - phoning ahead for a taxi is advisable. Vicky who runs the B&B with her hubby is an excellent hostess and a wealth of information.

Excellent walking can be found near the B&B - a walk up to the Tennyson Monument cross at the top of Tennyson Down is a must with great views. From there you can enjoy a cliff-top walk to the infamous Needles.

Tip - if you do go to the Needles and want refreshments, go to the National Trust tea rooms at the Old Battery - avoid the tourist tat at the top of the Needles chair lift at Alum Bay like the plague!

Enjoy!

Robin & Joao

Room Tip: The double room (with an adjoining twin room if required) is particularly nice.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Robin A
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Found this B&B on tripadvisor and we were pleased with our stay. Owner was very helpful and friendly. We had 2 adjoining rooms--perfect for a family. I agree with plast reviewer that the rooms are stylish but not fussy and extremely clean and the en-suites are modern, with great showers.
The full English breakfast was very good. Would have liked real butter and some baked goods (but wouldn't have had space in my tummy anyway).
Chapel is unique and special but not of particular interest to us so we didn't have the full tour.
Highdown Inn pub is a short walk from this B&B and food there was super.
Tiny niggles: rooms could use blackout lining on the curtains; tvs are quite small; noise from corridor was loud but occupancy seemed low so not an issue - might be an issue with a full house; 8:15am breakfast start time was a bit late for our early-rising child.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank HKYoung
Reviewed 17 September 2013

This place is in an idyllic position. Set amidst woodland and hills it is peace and tranquility itself.
The rooms are stylish but not fussy and extremely clean. The bed comfy yet supportive. The en suite modern, shining and with clean lines. Fab shower! Breakfast was just great, I'm not usually one for a full English (having experienced in the past ....plates full of grease) but this breakfast was the exception. We were invited to view the chapel adjoining the manor and what we saw was exquisite, definitely worth a visit for that alone!
Just two gripes....there was a red light on the ceiling in the room which stayed on all night, presumably a fire indicator. It was rather too bright and being a bit light sensitive it did disturb my sleep. I guess it's something that's a regulation. Secondly, pancake pillows! My own interpretation of very flat, thin pillows!
Otherwise all quite lovely for us to wake up to a brilliantly sunny autumn morning to climb the downs to view Tennyson's monument, which was within an easy walking distance.
Will definitely return.

#3 of 31 in Sandown
Keats Cottage B&B
Keats Cottage B&B
#5 of 51 in Shanklin

Been to Weston Manor Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!