“What a wonderful stay”
Review of Sentry Mead

Sentry Mead
Ranked #1 of 11 Totland Bay B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We have just returned from a 3 night break staying at the Sentry Mead. I endorse all of the other positive reviews about the Sentry Mead. The property is run by a wonderful family who work so hard to make your holiday with them a great experience. The hotel is over the road from Totland beach, it also has a great area for us dog walkers, Turf Walk. We stayed in the Totland Room which was a lovely room at the top of the hotel. Great breakfasts were provided, all freshly made to order, what more can I say? If you want a nice friendly and relaxed home from home atmosphere look no further than the Sentry Mead, thank you everyone, we had a great time xx

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jkalondon
SentryMead, Owner at Sentry Mead, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2013

Thank you so much for your review of Sentry Mead and your comments were so lovely to read - it makes everything worthwhile! It was a real pleasure to meet you and we are very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. It was lovely to go online this morning and read such a lovely review - you have got my day off to a fabulous start! Thank you!

Reviewed 19 August 2013

Mine was a sentimental journey to the place I first stayed at with my beloved partner who died in May. To be honest it hasn't moved on much since I was there with her a few years ago and my room at the top of the house was breathtaking - only because you're out of breath by the time you get up there! A lift is a must in the future for guests who aren't mountain climbers. But let's not be churlish, the location is lovely, the hosts equally so and overall it's good value money.

Room Tip: Insist on a first floor room - unless you really do need the exercise!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
SentryMead, Owner at Sentry Mead, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review Sentry Mead. It was a pleasure to see you again and I'm sorry for your loss. I hope very much you were able to re-visit all the places that had meaning to you and your wife.
On the points you have raised - unfortunately, we aren't able to install a lift in this Victorian building due to the layout. Therefore guests who are booking should be aware that rooms will be on either the first or second floors. Our website describes the rooms and the floor they are on. The first flight of stairs is quite easy, the second flight is a little steeper - but we're here to help with bags!
I'm surprised that you don't feel things have moved on in the last few years. We've been changing things quite fast! We've enlarged four bedrooms, decorated eight of them, changed the breakfast room, changed from being a hotel to being a relaxed and friendly guesthouse and we will be sprucing up the main hallway and stairs over this winter, as well as decorating two more bedrooms! And it won't stop there! Follow progress through our website.

Reviewed 14 August 2013

Wish we could have stayed for more than one night. I have to say service was excellent and a really friendly family who welcomed us with warm hands.
•Location is very close to Yarmouth Ferry and short walk to Totland beach.
•A Victorian house with many rooms branded with their own names and very big and spacious.
•Delicious english breakfast and nice evening complimentary hot beverages  for all.

Overall a really pleasant place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2013
SentryMead, Owner at Sentry Mead, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2013

Thank you very much for reviewing Sentry Mead. I'm so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, despite it being a very brief one. Perhaps next time you will be able to visit for longer. We would be delighted to welcome you back.

Reviewed 9 August 2013

We had a very pleasant stay at Sentry Mead. The staff could not have been friendlier or more accommodating and made all of us, including my dog feel very welcome. They even set-up a table in the conservatory so that the dog could eat with us. The location is across the street from a nice park for dog walks and just a short stroll to the beach. I particularly appreciated that the information in the room on things to do and places to eat also noted which are dog-friendly.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank May Hem K

Thank you very much for reviewing Sentry Mead. We're pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that we may see you again in the future. I agree that Totland, and this whole area, Is extremely dog friendly and makes for a stress-free holiday for those coming away with their dogs.

Reviewed 7 August 2013

Jean-Pierre, the hotel owner, met us on arrival and was incredibly pleasant, friendly and helpful. We could not criticise his welcoming manner. However, we stayed at 5 different establishments on the Isle of Wight this week and this emphasised how Sentry Mead is expensive for what it is.

The hotel is clean and comfortable but this is what we would expect of any hotel, just because it is clean doesn't mean that makes it 5 star. The design of the hotel is old-fashioned, which we didn't really like, but we understand this is a matter of personal taste. Our grandparents wouldn't have any concerns, probably would even like the hotel interior design. Realistically, it is expensive for what is offered. We don't mind paying a higher rate for a hotel but it should be worth the money; Sentry Mead is out of touch relating to competitors.

Aside from the old-fashioned decor, Jean-Pierre recommended a local place to eat (The Waterfront), which was awful. It was a like a teenage hangout, grotty and run down. The hosts need to know the establishments they are recommending because what they promote as quality reflects on them.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank TimRuth24

Thank you for taking the time to review Sentry Mead and I'm sorry we didn't meet your expectations. I would like to point out that we are not a hotel - as this would appear to be your basis for saying that we were not worth the five stars. The criteria is, obviously, very different for guesthouses compared to that for hotels. We are currently rated at 91% within the five star category for guesthouses. We are competitively priced compared to other, similar, guesthouses.
Your comments on the décor of the establishment must relate mainly to the ground floor as the bedrooms are mostly updated now. We plan to refurbish the main hallway this coming winter as we know it is a little dated, but we felt the bedrooms were more important and, unfortunately, money dictates the speed at which we get round the building! But, I do feel that I am in touch with what guests today are looking for and I am trying very hard to deliver this as quickly as possible.
Apart from the light suppers that I can provide for residents, there is a list of local eating places. The Waterfront is listed, but it is not one of our top rated places. If it was suggested to you, it would have been dependent on what you were looking for. We are very aware of the restaurants around us and what our guests are saying about them.
I'm sorry you were disappointed with your stay as we do try to deliver a good service to our guests. I am particularly saddened that the first I am aware of your unhappiness is via the online review system. I'd like to mention to future guests that they mustn't be afraid to talk to us when they are here if there are any issues, however small.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

Very pleasant place to stay. Lovely rooms and gardens all to a very high standard. Bedroom and public rooms excellent and good views over the Solent.
A pity the restaurant was out of action during our stay, but there were good places to eat not too far away and Jean-Paul was happy to book them for us.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review Sentry Mead. I took two days away from the guesthouse and I think that was when you were staying so I am sorry about that. This would be the only explanation as to why there was no food available in the evenings. For future guests - the guesthouse does not have its own restaurant but I can offer light suppers and snacks six nights a week. The menu can be found on the dining page of our website. I can also promise you that I am rarely away, so it is nearly always available! If in doubt, please contact us and we can discuss options.

Reviewed 3 August 2013

Sentry Mead is situated in a road leading from the Totland roundabout down to the pier. The hotel is in a splendidly maintained typical older house, with extensive and beautiful gardens, from which in one corner there is a lovely view of the sea over Totland Bay. The proprietors clearly take great pride in the hotel and do everything possible to maintain a good standard and a very pleasant environment. The hotel has a range of rooms - we were in one of the smaller ones, but it was still perfectly adequate with all the necessary facilities. However in addition it has a large and comfortable lounge, leading on to a spacious terrace and thence down steps to the garden.
Breakfasts are everything you might want, served efficiently and cooked to order.
While the immediate area of Totland is a bit run down (as far as the pier and immediate waterfront is concerned that is something of understatementl - especially for one such as myself who can recall walking out on the pier in former days). However the turf walk just opposite the hotel is delighful, and it leads to Headon Warren and the coast path to the headland from where there are dramatic views of the Needles.
It is difficult to find any criticism of this lovely hotel - except maybe that parking is a bit tight when the hotel is full.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for reviewing Sentry Mead and for the detailed comments. I can report that the pier was bought last year and we are hoping that it will be renovated soon. The supporting structural work has been done, which is a good sign, I think! There should be a new café springing up too. I think the seafront will grow from there. The walks, though, are great. I'm glad you mentioned Headon Warren - my favourite.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Totland Bay
#3 of 51 in Shanklin
Keats Cottage B&B
Keats Cottage B&B
#4 of 51 in Shanklin

Been to Sentry Mead? Share your experiences!