“Home away from home...”
Review of The Golf House

The Golf House
Ranked #5 of 11 Totland Bay B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 June 2011

We have just come back from having such a wonderful, restful time with Sue, John and their beautifully behaved labradors Harry and Jimmy. We enjoyed exploring the more rural side of the Isle of Wight on foot and by car. The walking around The Golf House was spectacular. The rooms were spotless, comfortable and cosy. We are trying to work out when we can return..... soon!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank roopaws

Reviewed 30 October 2010

I stayed at The Golf House with my mum as visited the Isle of Wight too see my brother who lives there but his house was full due to the arrival of 1st baby!
I was blown away with the welcome from John & Sue - they were so welcoming and showed us to our room. It was like home from home - 2 double bedrooms and a full sitting room with Sky TV - movies & everything.. Tea/coffee & biscuits in room - replenished regularly. Own front door so can come & go as you please. Charlie & Jimmy - 2 golden labradors are adorable and I just have to have my morning cuddle with both of them. We didn't have a car as I had just had shoulder surgery - Sue & john hepled as much as possible - even giving us a lift into Newport & down to my brother's house. So welcoming I was so thankful to meet 2 such lovely people. They gave us advice on which way to walk to beach the nicest way.
The breakfast was to die for - a varied menu and all freshly homecooked. Filled us up for the day till evening. Homemade jams too - I even bought some to bring home. You can also eat there in the evening too - superb sandwiches.
The grounds around The Golf House are beautiful - so relaxing, great for walking and to get away from the town.
I would definately recommend this place to anyone who wants to stay on the Isle of Wight.
I will definatley be staying here again when I visit my brother. We even got invitd to go for a cup of tea even if return and stay with my brother.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Babsybo
Reviewed 6 July 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Golf House while we were on the Isle of wight running a race this May. Everything was exemplery, from the fantastic, home-cooked breakfast from local suppliers in the morning, to our great suite over the game room, and the lovely reception from our hosts, John and Sue. They were extremely accomodating, from start to finish, and really made us feel at home. We can't wait to come back.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ThreeSeat
Reviewed 25 May 2009

My friends and I spent lst weekend on the Ile of Wight. 10 of us.... As we couldn't book the same B&B, it was decided that the 4 of us would stay in the Golf House and the others more in town. Right from when we first met Sue and John, we realised how great our stay woul be. Theyy both made us feel very welcome. The rooms were very nice and clean. The food..........probably the best!!! We all loved it and even bought Sue's jellys.
I highly recomend!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank lefrancais
Reviewed 7 September 2008

What can I say about Sue and John. I had left my last B&B in a huff because it was appalling so was driving around looking for somewhere to stay. I saw the notice 'no vacancie's but whilst I had heeded these notices in the past, I chose to ignore this one and pulled up. Sue also pulled up at the same time, I explained my situation and she said her guests had just left but I was welcome to view the room. Well, I fell in love with the Tennyson as soon as I saw it, gave Sue a hug to confirm my thoughts(sure she thought I was mad..) and moved in to spend 4 tranquil days there in the discrete company of Sue and John, a well trained company of Charlie and Jimmy (labs), top quality brekki, hours in the garden walking barefoot on the grass and the most breathtaking waterfront of Totland Bay...Oh! not to forget Sue's excellent cream tea, wild mushroom soup and gorgeous fruit crumble...

If you want a restful unwind, then the Golf House is your answer - I will most certainly be returning.

Thank you Sue and John (and Charlie and Jimmy of course!)

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled solo
3  Thank Shrimati
Reviewed 3 July 2008

Memories of our mid week stay at the Golf House will stay with us forever for all the right reasons.

John, Sue and thier wonderful labradors make superb hosts providing good local knowledge as well as an outstanding breakfast in the conservatory overlooking their well tended garden.

The property is in a fantastic location to provide excellent views and to explore and enjoy the local area. Great walks are to be had along the coastline without needing to set foot in the car. The room was incredibly clean and beutifully maintained, with excellent facilities including a lovely bathroom, TV and DVD player and a very comfy bed.

The Isle of Wight, and west Wight in particular, are well worth a visit, but for us the Golf house provided the icing, the cherry and a little bit more on top! I am told I have quite high standards when it comes to holiday accommodation and I can't recommened this place highly enough. We will be back!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lizzie999
Reviewed 28 June 2008

We stayed over the Easter weekend in the Tennyson Suite. John and Sue and their 2 labradors are friendly and helpful hosts. The breakfast could be the best I've ever had ( hats off to anyone who can finish it ). My parents-in-law liked the homemade marmalade so much they bought some to take home. The rooms are clean and comfortable. I couldn't have slept better. Finally, location, location, location. For people who don't know West Wight; just go, it's gorgeous countryside. The Golf House is one of the last houses before the Needles, and you walk out of the house and straight up onto Tennyson Down. My only regret - not managing to get a frame of snooker in with John. One more reason to go back.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
#2 of 11 in Totland Bay
The Highdown Inn
The Highdown Inn
#7 of 11 in Totland Bay

Been to The Golf House? Share your experiences!