“Terrible.”

Price range: US$10 - US$15
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 16 March 2014

My husband and I, visited this Pub passing through.
The food was awful
My red Thai curry was the worst I've ever had. there was nothing Thai about it.
Tasteless apart from very acidic lemon, no heat no flavour.
My husband's steak and onion pie just looked a mess floating in gravy.
I've never seen him leave half a meal.
It was just disgusting.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

Such a waste, lovely location, guilty of no thought. Rubbish by outside gents, food below school meals. No change over last two years.

Reviewed 14 January 2014

We'd been staying in the Isle of Wight for New Years, and on the first non wet day of our holiday we ventured to the Needles and Alum Bay. The horrid theme park by the Needles was all closed (which according to their website is open all year?!?!), and the footpath to the beach was cordoned off for some reason.

Kids needed their lunch, we were hungry so we drove towards Freshwater Bay (looked good on a map) to find a pub, nothing was open or looked any good there. Then my wife remembered this pub we'd passed on the way to the Needles.

The best way to describe the garden and carpark is ramshackle. But I like it. The pub itself is very clean and nicely decorated, with a log fire to greet weary travellers.

This was the 2nd January, the friendly barmaid explained that they'd had a busy New Years day and a few things were in short supply. But it was a great menu and my wife lamb shank and my moules marinere were both excellent. Kids loved playing in the garden, and we'd love to go back when we're next on the Island.

It's a great pub, with excellent food, good pub grub and with friendly staff. It would be fantastic on a spring or summers evening to sample more of their beer whilst the kids enjoyed the climbing frame.

Reviewed 31 December 2013

First visit to highdown and found it most enjoyable. After a lovely walk with our dogs settled down to an excellent lunch in very nice cosy bar. Had roast dinner s that came with plenty of lovely vegetables. Very dog friendly.

Reviewed 17 December 2013

We hadn't been to the Highdown for several years, and having heard that it had had a makeover, decided to go, luckily, for just a drink on Saturday lunchtime. We didn't notice any difference..the place looked grubby and I appealing. There were shelves with all sorts of 'tat' for sale, postcards and leaflets. The door opens directly into the bar, so every time someone came in, there was a gust of cold air. Won't bother to go back again..very average