“Little Gem in Yarmouth”

Ranked #4 of 26 Restaurants in Yarmouth
Price range: US$4 - US$15
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, View
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
London, United Kingdom
“Little Gem in Yarmouth”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Just back from a 4 day break in Yarmouth. Had a super time and this cafe was one of the highlights. I have been a bit shocked to read some of the other reviews because we had such a lovely time. Our waitress Jade was very friendly and gave just the right amount of attention, and even remembered what we had drank when we went back another evening! Everyone else was also very friendly. We had evening meals which are waiter served - in the day it did seem very busy and then people queue to order so I wonder if that was the issue for some people?

The food was lovely - a home made lasagne one meal and a home made quiche at another - with lovely salads... the sort of food that feels as is whoever made it actually cares about food. We rarely drink wine but my red and my partners White were delicious, and for pudding we had a lovely apple cake followed by the best coffee I had in Yarmouth....

Oh and I forgot ... where else can you sit and watch the ferry come and go, or have some live music... all in a friendly relaxed atmosphere?

So to summarize great staff, great food, great views and great atmosphere - we will be coming back!

• Visited August 2014

• Finnish first
Redditch
“Very disappointing, go somewhere else”
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

I'm not sure how this place gets any 5 star reviews.

This is our first trip to the Isle of Wight and the first restaurant on this trip.
It looked so promising, the decor and atmosphere looks great and they had a crooner singing 50's hits, which was nice.
The food on the menu sounds great, but that's where it all ended.
Our first clue should have been that we weren't greeted by any one and had to grab a member of staff and was told to sit outside. The second clue was when one of the kids wanted a burger, the waitress telling us ' we don't do chips'.

Anyway, I ordered a very promising sounding crab salad at a cost of £11.50. The portion size was very poor and tasteless, the amount of crab must have been about a table spoonful.

The bit that turned my stomach was when I put one of the potatoes in my mouth and found it very chewy. I took it out of my mouth to find that it was rotten. It made me heave. As the potatoes were already cut in half, the cook should have spotted this.

I showed the elusive waitress who just said that she would let the 'chef' know. There was no apology or discount on the meal. It turned the stomach of everyone at the table.

My daughter and wife had the burgers, £7.95, which they found to be inedible and left most of them. My two other daughters had pizza and found them very unappetizing and my mom had prawns in the shell at a cost of £7.95, which were no more special than anything you could buy from Tesco.

What I don't get is, that the waitress saw the uneaten meals and didn't even question it. We paid a hefty £52 for this unpleasant meal and wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Our night saved when we took a 4 mile journey to Freshwater to find a chip shop and paid £4

Visited August 2014
5 Thank NigelBaller
“You can't eat here between 5pm & 6pm”
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

Nothing special here really, nice view, staff are poorly trained and bit rude but that's just typical Yarmouth I found. But the weird kitchen is closed thing they've started on Thursdays to Saturdays between 5-6 pm is silly.. Lots of people coming in say food please!!! Staff getting pissie as they want you to either sit outside or go away.

Tables, cutlery and glasses were dirty too.

Staff members arguing behind the counter was interesting..

I've heard this place used to be great, not so much these days folks.. Just be aware of how much you're spending on what in fact is just mediocre.

Ice creams in shop opposite, cost a bomb too beware I think they are joined..

4 Thank Tvrcars
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lovely cafe”
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

Wow what a stunning location! Beautiful little cafe and I loved the decoration. Couldn't really comment on the food as just had tea and coffee but my 5 year old enjoyed his millionaire's shortbread and walk along the pier afterwards.

London
“All fine but nothing special”
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

We popped in for lunch today and it was fine but nothing more than that. A couple of little details that would have made a big difference to us: our 2 yr old had the "kids lunch bag" which had a sandwich, drink, crisps and toy in - it could have done with an apple or some grapes (really anything fresh!) in too. Also I had the cheese and ham Ploughman's which came with grated cheese! Not good!

Looking out at the boats during lunch was fun and the service was prompt.

1 Thank SmileyTraveller79