“Food much better than expected but spoilt by unprofessional staff”
Review of Boat House Pub

Boat House Pub
Ranked #12 of 26 Restaurants in Yarmouth
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Thought we'd give this a try as it was nearby to where we were staying although had low expectation of food given other reviews. The place is a bit shabby (in my opinion would benefit from modernising) but the front of house was very friendly. Placed our food order and sat in a decking area with our drinks. Great views of the sea so good start!

The starter arrived and wow it was amazing! I had the salt and pepper squid which was really well cooked and a little spicy, not rubbery at all. Hubby enjoyed his whitebait too. This is where the problem starts. Whilst we were still eating the starters our main meal was obviously ready and we heard the front of house say in a raised voice to the chef a few times: "i've just checked and they're not ready!". We also overheard a bit of an argument between the two. Hmmmm very unprofessional.

The main meal was also really well cooked and tasty. I had the tuna steak and it was perfectly cooked according to how I had asked and hubby had the seafood pasta which he thought was great.

So what would make this lovely little place a really great place? Make sure that customers don't overhear things that they shouldn't have to hear between front of house and chef, and just from a personal preference, the decor could have been a little less shabby. This place has so much potential to be really great. Give it a try though - in our experience, the food is much better than we thought it would be.

1  Thank countryretreat938

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We decided to pop in here here when we needed something to eat after visiting nearby Fort Victoria.It doesn't look much from the road but the view from the other side must be one of the best on the Island,you literally sit feet from the beach and can see right across the Solent.
We decided on burger and chips and it must rate as one of the best I've ever had but to be honest it all looked very good.
We couldn't fault the service either,especially the lady that served us,very chatty and friendly,with the free wifi as well it's the perfect place to spend a few hours on a sunny afternoon

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We had two fresh crab sandwiches and a creases sandwich all three for less than £8 each. The bread was nice and fresh and the food was great for a light lunch, served outside by two very friendly member if staff. The coffee was good too. I can't comment on the loos or the inside or main meals as spent my time sat on the beaches edge in the sun. But I'd go back again.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

When the previous owners Charlotte and Mike ran the Boathouse we went often, taking friends, enjoying the Curry Nights , fabulous Sunday lunches and 25 of us celebrating my partners 60th birthday. It was super.
Last year I took a friend for her birthday, I was saddened by the changes the new folk had made. Tatty décor, hideous curtains, gone the beach themed pale blue walls and tasteful pictures. The quality of our food was poor.
Last week family went for drinks and said what a lovely position on the beach but not great food. We decided to give it another try in case things had improved. We only managed drinks....we sat outside as the place stinks of old frying fat. I went to the loo to wash my hands..it smelt so bad I couldn't bear to close the door. I couldn't finish my coffee as it was unpleasant. The lovely cabinet that used to have homemade cakes and deserts had an old cloth thrown over it.... The waitress was pleasant and the view continues to be wonderful......Such a shame.

1  Thank VACrawford
Reviewed 20 March 2014

We visited Isle of wight on 15-17.3 and decided to have lunch at this place on the first day. The location is amazing, at summer this place must be very busy.
Staff was very nice but ordering was very confusing on paying etc. We were allowed to have a small breakfast as our lunch which was very nice. Chocolate brownie was very lovely too.
No apple or orange juice left so decided on tea. So few things to improve but I would definitely go back!

1  Thank Aino L