“No Sunday Roast”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Heathfield, United Kingdom
“No Sunday Roast”
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

My fault really and the place is everything I said in my last post. But just want to warn you. Don't drive halfway across the island and expect a Sunday lunch with fantastic views, sat outside in the garden, the sea not 10ft from you. As you drink a glass of wine watching the wold go past. As I did. As you'll be very disappointed. My fault I should have checked I guess. But I'll still go back. R

Visited July 2014

“Great location but misses the boat”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We enjoyed the walk along the beach to near Fort Victoria where the Boat House Bistro is found. It has a wonderful location overlooking the Solent and on a glorious day there are few better places to be.

The menu in the window is fairly shabbily presented, a couple of tired looking A4 pages of options and no description of what you might be served, however with such a beautiful location we decided to try it for lunch.

Having made choices we sat down outside with a bottle of over priced Chilean Sauvingnon Blanc. My wife's Caesar Salad was OK but my salt and pepper chilli fried squid was soggy and disappointing as were the chips which arrived some minutes after the main dishes. I think it might be time to change the oil in the deep fryer!

It was beyond the staff to enquire as to how our meal was and I could only describe the service as very amateurish and disappointing and I could not recommend a return trip.

• Visited July 2014
Tewkesbury, United Kingdom
“Food much better than expected but spoilt by unprofessional staff”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Thought we'd give this a try as it was nearby to where we were staying although had low expectation of food given other reviews. The place is a bit shabby (in my opinion would benefit from modernising) but the front of house was very friendly. Placed our food order and sat in a decking area with our drinks. Great views of the sea so good start!

The starter arrived and wow it was amazing! I had the salt and pepper squid which was really well cooked and a little spicy, not rubbery at all. Hubby enjoyed his whitebait too. This is where the problem starts. Whilst we were still eating the starters our main meal was obviously ready and we heard the front of house say in a raised voice to the chef a few times: "i've just checked and they're not ready!". We also overheard a bit of an argument between the two. Hmmmm very unprofessional.

The main meal was also really well cooked and tasty. I had the tuna steak and it was perfectly cooked according to how I had asked and hubby had the seafood pasta which he thought was great.

So what would make this lovely little place a really great place? Make sure that customers don't overhear things that they shouldn't have to hear between front of house and chef, and just from a personal preference, the decor could have been a little less shabby. This place has so much potential to be really great. Give it a try though - in our experience, the food is much better than we thought it would be.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank countryretreat938
Bath, United Kingdom
“Good food,great location”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We decided to pop in here here when we needed something to eat after visiting nearby Fort Victoria.It doesn't look much from the road but the view from the other side must be one of the best on the Island,you literally sit feet from the beach and can see right across the Solent.
We decided on burger and chips and it must rate as one of the best I've ever had but to be honest it all looked very good.
We couldn't fault the service either,especially the lady that served us,very chatty and friendly,with the free wifi as well it's the perfect place to spend a few hours on a sunny afternoon

• Visited June 2014
Heathfield, United Kingdom
“Great for views and your lunch”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We had two fresh crab sandwiches and a creases sandwich all three for less than £8 each. The bread was nice and fresh and the food was great for a light lunch, served outside by two very friendly member if staff. The coffee was good too. I can't comment on the loos or the inside or main meals as spent my time sat on the beaches edge in the sun. But I'd go back again.

• Visited May 2014