“Relaxing and quiet hotel.”
Review of The George Hotel

The George Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Yarmouth
Reviewed 5 March 2013

The hotel is very quiet (our visit was out of season) and therefore very relaxing. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. The room was comfortable and overlooked the sea which was great. The bed was nice and soft yet supportive so we had a good nights sleep.

Breakfast and lunch were excellent with a focus on good quality ingredients.

From central London to the hotel door it takes about 3 hours 30 minutes by public transport but is well worth the time as the hotel, the town and surrounding area feel a million miles away from working life.

Highly recommended, particularly for a short break.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TerryMinuit

Reviewed 26 February 2013

We (three couples) went on a weekend trip to Yarmouth and had booked into The George.......When we went into the Hotel we were welcomed and taken to our rooms by the receptionist, who insisted on carrying our cases for us....The rooms were lovely, spacious and bright....I have never slept in such a comfortable bed, the room overlooked the Solent (room 19) and you could watch the ferry coming and going........The staff couldn't do enough for you, which was great....The weather was terrible, very cold and windy, and the log fire in the lounge was very welcoming....We had dinner in the Hotel to celebrate my Birthday and it was absolutely delicious every course was just perfect...The Hotel organised flowers from my Husband to be delivered to my room, which was a lovely surprise!... The only downside for me was not having tea/ coffee facilities in the room although tea was offered in the mornings served in your room, which again was a nice touch.......We all agreed that we would defiantly want to return to such a wonderful Hotel...Thank you to all the staff for making my weekend very special!

Room Tip: Rooms 15 and 19 had large Balconies over looking the Solent
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 February 2013

We visited the IOW during the half term break and due to the weather headed to the nearest place for lunch. The hotel was warm and inviting and the food delicious . The menu catered for the wide range of tastes in our party . The veggie option was outstanding and although its label of carrot salad did not instantly appeal the dish itself was one of the best I have eaten. Our party also ordered chicken, lamb and fish dishes and based on the comments and clean plates were equally delicious .
The service was prompt but not rushed and the staff friendly.
We entended to explore Yarmouth and the pier but instead settled for coffee and hand made chocolates in the wood panelled lounge on a comfy sofa by an open fire.
We will be going back in the summer if not sooner

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 February 2013

We stayed on one of the special £120 b&b nights which is very good value. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The building is amazing and the Hotel makes you feel relaxed straight away.
Our room was pretty cold on arrival but we dumped our bags and headed to the Kings Head opposite where they had a roaring fire and the rugby match on.
The bed was very comfy and we had a great nights sleep. Morning tea is extra but I guess you could take your own travel kettle and tea etc.
However breakfast was delicious, scrambled egg & smoked salmon, hubby had a full english. It filled us up for the whole day until our evening meal.
Its nice that you don't have to rush to check out the next day, 11am I think.
We took the car this time and parking is in the long stay a short walk away, though there is a short stay car park next to the Hotel. Traffic wardens definitely operate in the area so its not worth the risk.

Room Tip: We always like a sea view room, its therapeutic and mesmerising.
Reviewed 11 February 2013

We lived on the IOW for many years and had no reason to stay here until now. We booked a last minute night away so see friends and were not disappointed.
As a late deal we paid £99 for two for one night B & B and had intended to book dinner. However the veggie option was carrot risotto - which we did not fancy. So we walked to the Red Lion at Freshwater and had a lovely meal.
Our room was very clean, comfortable and had a lovely a sew-view, we had booked a standard room and that is what we got on the top floor even though the hotel was very empty. Nice robes, towels and toiletries. We arrived around 3pm and asked for some tea & cake, but could not believe that there was nothing for guests to ear. We were told that lunch had ended at 2.30 and dinner was from 7pm I think - I did say we did not want a full afternoon tea, but tea & scone or a toasted tea cake would be fine - but there was nothing available other than a tea or coffee. This shocked me for a hotel of this caliber as surely many people arrive around this time on a Friday afternoon.
Our breakfast the next morning was lovely, helpful staff, lovely view and all in all a very nice place to stay – would certainly stay again – but whether its worth £200 - 300+ a night is another matter

Room Tip: Go for a sea view
Reviewed 5 February 2013

I spent a lovely weekend at Yarmouth in the The George.

Good: I can not fault the B&B service we received: Great location for Yarmouth and exploring the I.O.W., superb breakfast over looking the sea and bed room finished to a very high standard.The staff were all very friendly.

Bad: I decided to splash out and have dinner at the hotel. Although the dining area is beautiful, unfortunately, for me this meal let the hotel down. Let me explain.

Before our meal we thought we would have pre dinner drinks. The seating next to the bar is lovely but very small. I found the other lounge a bit scruffy and cold. Where are the cocktails? Room information states cocktails are served in the bar, yet when asked about cocktails we were told they did not do them! The ontap beer was also warm. We felt disappointed with our pre-meal drinks and both said we should have gone to the pub.

Sample menus: The website shows sample menus that look incredible however the prices on these are far cheaper than in the restaurant ( e.g.the cheapest meal is under £14 when we were there the cheapest was £17).

The vegetarian evening menu (shown on the website) is not currently available, which means vegetarians only get one (uninspiring) choice per course. I paid almost 20 pounds for a main course which was very bland.Rice with lumps of carrot does not match the standard of the rest of my experience at this hotel. I suggest the chief be more adventurous when planning meat free options as I heared the other choices were lovely. Also, our selection of breads, as stated in the menu never came.My tomato and basil salad was sadly mainly lettuce and I had to ask for dressing. I felt disappointed with this meal as it cost me over £70.

Overall, a lovely hotel with beautiful rooms. I would recommend this hotel (already have) but thought it would not be a balanced truthful review without mentioning my dinning experience.

2  Thank loveshotsunnydays
Reviewed 8 January 2013

As we were visiting the area we decided to stop for lunch at The George. We had a lovely
lunch with very attentive staff that saw we wanted for nothing. We thought the menu was very good . The presentation and every course we ordered was just wonderful . We really enjoyed our lucky find. The views from the restaurant overlooking the solent were beautiful only bettered by sitting outside which unfortunately was not possible as the weather was very cold and wet.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mems529
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yarmouth
The Royal Hotel
9 mi away
The Wheatsheaf Hotel
The Wheatsheaf Hotel
#3 of 5 in Newport

Been to The George Hotel? Share your experiences!