“Location, location......poor service”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Yarmouth
Sandhurst, United Kingdom
“Location, location......poor service”
Reviewed 21 May 2013

We stayed here in May 2013 for two nights, having already stayed elsewhere on the island for the previous two nights. We were impressed with Yarmouth itself - the place is unspoilt and by far the nicest, well looked after place we visited. The hotel really does look the part and we were thrilled with our room (22), which was very spacious, with side views of the sea and the pretty pier. The poor water pressure in the shower was the only disappointment with the room, all else being excellent. We enjoyed brilliant sunshine in the walled garden in the afternoon with a few glasses of wine from the bar. So enamoured were we by our first nights experience that we opted to stay on for a further night. We were unable to stay in the same room as it was already booked, but were offered a premium, balcony room overlooking the garden for a reduced rate of £150. This room (15), whilst a little smaller than room 22, was equally well equipped but the views much better. We didn't eat dinner in the hotel, opting, instead for Salties , a seafood restaurant, almost next door. We did however frequent the hotel bar, the service at which was sparce - there were inadequate numbers of staff to meet the needs of guests. On the morning of our departure, the sun was shining and we asked to take our breakfast on the lawn tables. this request was met with a response of "are you joking!" from the young,eastern European waitress; "we don't have enough staff to be running around the garden". This despite the garden being already occupied by several couples drinking coffee. Despite this, our request was honoured and the breakfast was enjoyable. Only other slight niggle was the cobwebs in the corners of the room (15). In summary, the location is great, the building is lovely but beginning to show signs of wear, but the standard of service from the inadequate numbers of staff was disappointing, bordering on insulting. If we had paid three star prices, we would have still been annoyed with the inconsistent service, though delighted with the room; however, we paid a lot of money for the 2 rooms and would hope for service that matched. But hey, it was sunny and we had a good time.

Room Tip: Rooms on North side overlooking the solent are quiet, but pricey. The 2 balcony rooms actually share...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 482RogerC482

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Odiham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2013

We (myself, wife and 5yr old son) stayed here for a weekend. We had room 17 which was a four poster room with windows on three sides. The room was well finished and what I would describe as traditional english old fashioned, but very tasteful finish. Welcome at reception was nice and effective and the public rooms around the hotel were good for relaxing in. Though the rooms don't have tea and coffee machines the reception offered to bring early morning tea and coffee, this coupled with the supply of cookies outside the room meant we didn't miss having facilities in the room. We ate in town (next door at Salty's) for dinner, but have to say breakfast was very good - fresh buffet but even better was the cooked english breakfast particularly as we looked out over the sea as we ate.
We will return, and I would high;y recommend as a weekend break location as the hotel is a very short walk from the ferry terminal...

Room Tip: ask for a sea view room, we had 17 which was OK but I am sure there are others with what would be an...
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2013

This is a very smart pub/hotel in the middle of Yarmouth, so expect it to be noisy if you plan to stay in the middle of summer. That said, the walled garden which also fronts the sea, gives the most stunning ambience to sit and enjoy a meal and/or drink, whilst admiring everything the Solent has to offer.

The Restaurant area is very stylish in its decor, and the food is perfectly nice, but very overpriced for what was on offer.

5 Thank Rachel H
North Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 21 April 2013

I loved the George! I must first qualify that I am American, and therefore tend to find most all of the places I visit in the UK to be most charming. As I have said in my other reviews, one just doesn't find this type of place in the States. I am always fascinated with the history and culture of England, and tend to consider any opportunity to visit to be a privilege.

With that said... I found the entire area to be breathtaking. This little place, with cobblestone streets, tucked in a seaside town...is a real jewel. I have been to two other "pub" type hotels and this is the nicest by far. The interior, while historic, is modern and clean. It has been very well kept through the years. My room had a fireplace and very large and bathroom. The garden was amazing and had a nice view of the water. This is a great place to eat or have a drink, while enjoying the view of an historic caste wall next door. I wanted to see the castle but was there on business and did not have the opportunity.
I had room service for breakfast which was prompt. Dinner was quite nice. The restaurant was however very modern, which was a little disappointing for me. I really enjoy those old places with squeaky floors that have been around for 300 years. But, it really was a nice restaurant, very upmarket. The hotel was also clean and comfortable. My room was a little quirky, but still lovely. The quirks don't bother me too much. For instance I could not get my closet door open all the way without hitting the bed, and there were not enough outlets for a lamp, iron, and curling iron to be plugged in at the same time, but that is my experience everywhere in the UK. What is up with that, by the way? Come to the States where we love our outlets! That said it was a lot nicer than the hotel where I stayed in Rye, and I even gave that 5 stars. The experience overall was more than positive, it was a bucket list item for me. I don't understand how anyone, even those who live in England, can ever get tired of such scenic, historic beauty.
I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the water!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank SusanM202
Kendal, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2013

I am not one to bother writing reviews but thought this meal was worth the effort. We did not book and although the restaurant looked busy staff were happy to accommodate us. After a short wait in the lounge we were shown to our table with outstanding views of the solent . We ordered the rib of beef to share which was perfectly cooked exactly as requested. The sauce that accompanied the rib was so tasty I found myself using my finger to remove the last remnants from the dish ( not something I nornally do ). Although very full we agreed on cheese and biscuits to share and again was pleased we did .
Our waitress was friendly and made us feel nothing was to much trouble.
We were not staying in the hotel so can not comment on rooms etc but the lounge was full of character while the dining area was more contemporary and I expect at its best in the summer.
We visit the island regularly to visit family and now we have discovered The George we will undoubtably stay here next time

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
France
Reviewed 16 April 2013

I stayed in this hotel at the beginning of April and cannot begin to understand how anyone could find Room 24 warm at that time of year. It was absolutely freezing and I am not somebody who normally feels the cold. Even with the radiator full on the wind came through the windows which was not properly insulated. I spent a lot of time choosing the room as it was supposed to be a birthday celebration and although I originally chose a single room I was persuaded to take this room as a "treat" because it had a sea view. While it is true that if you stand at the side of the room you can see the sea,the pier and the ferries coming and going, from the bed all you could see is the roof of the building next door. The food was very poor value for the money, on one might we chose the sole which cost £21.95 without vegetables and nobody even bothered to fillet it so that I was lucky that the person I was with did not choke. Everything costs extra including a so-called gratin potato dish which is served in the tiniest ramekin dish with virtually no potato. When I asked where the potato was I was told it was cooked in cream by a young man who was the only unhelpful member of staff in the hotel. If you were a vegetarian you would have not been very happy as the only possibility was a dish of various carrots in a puree which cost £16.00 Unbelieveable! And we paid £8.00 for a starter which was a soup with one scallop in it. I don't know how they have the nerve. But if some people enjoy this and think it good value I suppose they must not have much experience of good value accommodation with enjoyable food. Having said that the UK is known for expensive accommodation which is a shame but will make me think twice about staying in a British hotel again.

3 Thank amateur2urist
Poole,Dorset,UK
Reviewed 12 April 2013

All of the staff are friendly and very helpful.
The meals were of a very high standard, with well presented food.
We found our Room 24 was comfortable and warm. Much appreciated in this cold weather !
There was a good view of the pier but best of all we saw the Lymington ferry coming and going.
Overall this is a quiet, relaxing hotel which offers a very high standard of service.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank J0hnandAngela
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yarmouth
The Royal Hotel
Lakeside Park Hotel & Spa
Hillside Hotel
Hillside Hotel
#3 of 9 in Ventnor

Been to The George Hotel? Share your experiences!