“By George - the cost”
Review of The George Hotel

The George Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Yarmouth
Reviewed 31 May 2013

Good location, but can be noisy and expensive. Beside semi-quaint characterful buildings and town has lots of charm. Good yachting harbour and very convenient for ferries. West Wight is best area to see.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank Rover099

Reviewed 24 May 2013

We had a very nice dinner in the George last Sunday. You pay for the beautiful setting, which is completely understandable. The waitress was pleasant and efficient. The problem came at the end of our dinner, as we were sat at our table breakfast was set up around us......Weetabix and every thing! It wasn't late, about quarter to ten. So.....go early.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 May 2013

Both as a family and a couple we have stayed at The George on numerous occasions and always love it. The location is superb and the interior has a warm and welcoming feel with bowls of sweets, fruit and loads of magazines and coffee table books. We had a suite (22) which was perfect and very nicely furnished. The only niggles we would have is that the early morning tea was seriously undrinkeable - how can you make a cup of tea so disgusting. Please can we have a kettle, some mugs and some tea bags. The other problem was with the receptionist. One was absolutely charming, the other very much a 'cant do' rather than a 'can do' person. She was incredibly rude to my husband who never really takes offence over anything but was given no help over where he could keep his incredibly precious bicycle. We dreaded her being on duty if we needed to ask anything! Otherwise lovely as always - especially when cycling 78 miles in the round the island race.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Angie D
Reviewed 21 May 2013

We stayed here in May 2013 for two nights, having already stayed elsewhere on the island for the previous two nights. We were impressed with Yarmouth itself - the place is unspoilt and by far the nicest, well looked after place we visited. The hotel really does look the part and we were thrilled with our room (22), which was very spacious, with side views of the sea and the pretty pier. The poor water pressure in the shower was the only disappointment with the room, all else being excellent. We enjoyed brilliant sunshine in the walled garden in the afternoon with a few glasses of wine from the bar. So enamoured were we by our first nights experience that we opted to stay on for a further night. We were unable to stay in the same room as it was already booked, but were offered a premium, balcony room overlooking the garden for a reduced rate of £150. This room (15), whilst a little smaller than room 22, was equally well equipped but the views much better. We didn't eat dinner in the hotel, opting, instead for Salties , a seafood restaurant, almost next door. We did however frequent the hotel bar, the service at which was sparce - there were inadequate numbers of staff to meet the needs of guests. On the morning of our departure, the sun was shining and we asked to take our breakfast on the lawn tables. this request was met with a response of "are you joking!" from the young,eastern European waitress; "we don't have enough staff to be running around the garden". This despite the garden being already occupied by several couples drinking coffee. Despite this, our request was honoured and the breakfast was enjoyable. Only other slight niggle was the cobwebs in the corners of the room (15). In summary, the location is great, the building is lovely but beginning to show signs of wear, but the standard of service from the inadequate numbers of staff was disappointing, bordering on insulting. If we had paid three star prices, we would have still been annoyed with the inconsistent service, though delighted with the room; however, we paid a lot of money for the 2 rooms and would hope for service that matched. But hey, it was sunny and we had a good time.

Room Tip: Rooms on North side overlooking the solent are quiet, but pricey. The 2 balcony rooms actually share...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank 482RogerC482
Reviewed 9 May 2013

We (myself, wife and 5yr old son) stayed here for a weekend. We had room 17 which was a four poster room with windows on three sides. The room was well finished and what I would describe as traditional english old fashioned, but very tasteful finish. Welcome at reception was nice and effective and the public rooms around the hotel were good for relaxing in. Though the rooms don't have tea and coffee machines the reception offered to bring early morning tea and coffee, this coupled with the supply of cookies outside the room meant we didn't miss having facilities in the room. We ate in town (next door at Salty's) for dinner, but have to say breakfast was very good - fresh buffet but even better was the cooked english breakfast particularly as we looked out over the sea as we ate.
We will return, and I would high;y recommend as a weekend break location as the hotel is a very short walk from the ferry terminal...

Room Tip: ask for a sea view room, we had 17 which was OK but I am sure there are others with what would be an...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 April 2013

This is a very smart pub/hotel in the middle of Yarmouth, so expect it to be noisy if you plan to stay in the middle of summer. That said, the walled garden which also fronts the sea, gives the most stunning ambience to sit and enjoy a meal and/or drink, whilst admiring everything the Solent has to offer.

The Restaurant area is very stylish in its decor, and the food is perfectly nice, but very overpriced for what was on offer.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Rachel H
Reviewed 21 April 2013

I loved the George! I must first qualify that I am American, and therefore tend to find most all of the places I visit in the UK to be most charming. As I have said in my other reviews, one just doesn't find this type of place in the States. I am always fascinated with the history and culture of England, and tend to consider any opportunity to visit to be a privilege.

With that said... I found the entire area to be breathtaking. This little place, with cobblestone streets, tucked in a seaside town...is a real jewel. I have been to two other "pub" type hotels and this is the nicest by far. The interior, while historic, is modern and clean. It has been very well kept through the years. My room had a fireplace and very large and bathroom. The garden was amazing and had a nice view of the water. This is a great place to eat or have a drink, while enjoying the view of an historic caste wall next door. I wanted to see the castle but was there on business and did not have the opportunity.
I had room service for breakfast which was prompt. Dinner was quite nice. The restaurant was however very modern, which was a little disappointing for me. I really enjoy those old places with squeaky floors that have been around for 300 years. But, it really was a nice restaurant, very upmarket. The hotel was also clean and comfortable. My room was a little quirky, but still lovely. The quirks don't bother me too much. For instance I could not get my closet door open all the way without hitting the bed, and there were not enough outlets for a lamp, iron, and curling iron to be plugged in at the same time, but that is my experience everywhere in the UK. What is up with that, by the way? Come to the States where we love our outlets! That said it was a lot nicer than the hotel where I stayed in Rye, and I even gave that 5 stars. The experience overall was more than positive, it was a bucket list item for me. I don't understand how anyone, even those who live in England, can ever get tired of such scenic, historic beauty.
I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the water!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank KCLondonGirl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yarmouth
The Royal Hotel
9 mi away
The Wheatsheaf Hotel
The Wheatsheaf Hotel
#3 of 5 in Newport

Been to The George Hotel? Share your experiences!