“Wightlink and Goerge hotel lunch break”
Review of The George Hotel

The George Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Yarmouth
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Very easy to book. Staff very hospitable. Food excellent and lovely atmosphere. Value for money to include the ferry crossing from Lymington and back. Very relaxing crossing and had time to enjoy a visit to Yarmouth as well as relaxing meal and wine with friends.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for The George Hotel

Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

We booked here after seeing an offer online which made a single night for two with breakfast £89 instead of the usual £190. As such, my first bit of advice would be to shop around!

I've been going to Yarmouth for years and always wondered what this place was like. As I walked in for the first time I was very pleased! A lot of original features mixed sympathetically with all the modern things you'd expect and require from a hotel of this type.

For whatever reason we were put in a disabled room, which is no bad thing as the room was HUGE. Massive floor to ceiling windows with a view over the square, two very large bathrooms with good quality fittings and excellent toiletries. A nice touch was the bowl of extras in the bathroom, comprising of razor blades, sewing kit, make up removal pads, cotton buds and a few other bits that are often forgotten.

The bed was large and very comfy, with one of the biggest TVs I've ever watched on a table at the end.

There was a lovely bone china tea set with lots of tea, coffee and got chocolate as well as still and sparkling water.

The hotel, and Yarmouth as a whole, was very quiet for our stay, so there were only two other couples in the hotel, so we had no problems with service. The bar is lovely with wood panelled walls, comfy chairs and an open fire, and it was empty so we had the run of the place. Drinks prices very reasonable given the surroundings.

Breakfast is served over looking the sea. We had none of the problems with service others have mentioned, and the food was lovely, with lots of choice. Can't find fault other than the dead rose that was in the vase on our table.

One point to bear in mind is that there is no dedicated hotel parking, although parking is available else where for a charge, although the only stuff nearby is short stay.

Nothing to fault the hotel, would very happily return

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sussex373
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Head Chef, Austin, really excelled when I asked him to produce a Vegetarian treat for my lovely wife: tasting menu was terrific. We had a great lunch with relaxed service in a lovely spot. Austin's passion for food and good cooking is vey evident. (Carnivores need not worry either: my slow cooked blade of beef was superb.)

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I booked a last minute stay at The George for a short break. I contacted the hotel by phone and was advised that for the first night we would be put into a small room but they would move us to a bigger room for the second night. I was slightly apprehensive thinking we would be staying in the cleaners cupboard!

Upon arrival a friendly girl greeted us on Reception who showed us to our room (how often does that happen nowadays?) Yes the room was small however was very nicely decorated, clean and modern. I was already impressed! When I spoke to reception regarding being moved they couldn't have been more helpful, they said to leave our cases in our room and they would move them to our new room during the day.

The hotel is perfectly situated and the area is absolutely stunning. There are several places to eat and drink despite it being a very small area. The hotel has complimentary fruit in the public areas for guests to take, a very nice touch. We moved rooms the next day even though I was quite happy with the room we were given and I am so pleased that we did. We were moved to room 15, which is an extremely impressive room with doors out to a balcony with patio furniture and stunning views out to sea. You have easy access to the garden via a set of stairs, perfect for sitting out in the evening looking out to sea with a beer in hand!

The bar is expensive but aren't all hotel bars? The barman was very friendly, and knowledgeable about his trade offering suggestions on drinks.

I have to say that this is the best hotel I have stayed in for a long time. The location, facilities, rooms and staff are amazing and I have recommended The George to several friends since returning home. Whilst sitting out on the balcony on the second night we thought about staying another night but our room was booked up so we had to go. We hope to visit again soon, we will be requesting room 15!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I have stayed here several times now bur this stay did not have have the same quality experience. The room as always was excellent and food was generally of high standard but was of insufficient quantity. Breakfast staff were poorly trained. On the occasion I ordered boiled eggs, they were served in small dishes and I was advised that there were no eggcups. The breakfasts (excepting the boiled egg incident) were first class.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank kp0vey
Reviewed 12 October 2013 via mobile

We've been staying here in the winter months for years - typically when it is too cold to stay on our boat

Beautiful spot, staff are very friendly, but operating on idle of wight time, rooms are tasteful, clean, some with a great sea view, and food is good.

Overall very worthwhile and good, but some of the old touches, such as shortbread in the room and logo'd towels/ bathrobes are no more, and some things are a little tired. Suspect there is still hangover from the credit crunch...

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 7 October 2013

The hotel is well located a few moments walk from the ferry but not disturbed by it. It is worth asking for a Solent sea view room as these are also quieter than some of the street facing ones. We had an unfortunate welcome, or lack of it due to an initially unfriendly receptionist lady and some confusion over our payment. But eventually that was resolved and the hotel manager and receptionists then recovered the situation by making every effort to ensure our stay was enjoyable. The restaurant food was good. Breakfast service was friendly and willing but perhaps a bit amateur with long waits between rounds of toast (one round per person then five minutes wait after asking for the next one) and very weak individual cafetiere coffee. Served with a smile though and put right the following morning. Yarmouth itself is an attractive little town. Our room had a massive balcony overlooking the sea and in good weather this would be a real plus. We found the mattresses a touch on the too soft side but the generous supply of white fluffy towels and bathrobes as well as L'Occitane toiletries were a nice four star touch in this three star hotel. I would recommend The George for a two to three day break and we would happily go back.

My tip would be check out the various offers before booking as the rack rate is a bit steep and the hotel does offer better value for money discounts subject to availability.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sophie83
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yarmouth
The Royal Hotel
The Hambrough
The Hambrough
#2 of 9 in Ventnor
Lakeside Park Hotel & Spa

Been to The George Hotel? Share your experiences!