“Unexpectedly Great”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Turned up here on a whim as it was getting late and needed something to eat, seeing this place I halted my hunt for some fish and chips and went for a curry. I will admit I had my reservations about this place, a curry restaurant in a traditional town on the Isle of Wight doesn't exactly bode too well but I was to be wrong.

The food is a mixture of the standard curries we all know and love but there is also a large selection of specials. I went for a pretty standard order of a popadom, chutney's, a 660ml Cobra, pilau rice, peshwari naan and one of the special mid-hot chicken dishes cooked with onions and capsicum (I forget the name of it). All of it was really good, the beer was cold, popadoms crispy, chutneys were of good quality, naan was just right and lightly buttered and the rice fluffy. The curry was a real treat, well balanced with heat and earthy flavours combining well.

Service was quick, efficient and the waiters were very friendly and chatty.

Atmosphere is good, it was pretty empty when I was there but in the warmer weather the outdoor terrace overlooking the yachts could be fantastic. Worth a visit.

1  Thank vonman88

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Having recently moved to the island from near Manchester, with its famous curry mile, we were concerned we wouldn't find a decent Indian restaurant here. We are takeaway regulars now, and find the lamb shanks so delicious, we just keep ordering those! The naans are good too, and the staff are friendly. It has the perfect setting for summer meals on the balcony, with views of the ferry port.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Totally different flavours. The waiters make it clear if you would like food hotter or things changed, they are happy to accommodate. I love chillies and dominant spices but also love fish, and on advice didn't have spices added to the Monk Fish and, it was to die for, I didn't want it to end. The Madras was much more flavoursome than the usual Madras so don't go thinking this is us your usual Indian. Even the Pickles and Chutney's are similar style but with a big flavour differences. I can't wait to go back. It was very busy but we were happy with the speed of service, booking is advisable. Do try the Chef's Specials as they are really special. Its not good for people with disabilities as its upstairs then the toilets are down stairs again. Great with the outdoor terrace in the summer months. (pompadums pickles etc, beer and two mains came to £50)

1  Thank poroger
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Four of us booked a table at Yarmouth Spice for last night. We were shown to our table, offered drinks and popadoms, so far so good-we chose our dishes, ordered and waited, and waited. Bearing in mind there was only one other table occupied, the service was very slow. It always seems to be the same here. The food was very good, but they really should get their act together before the season starts. Having said this, we'll probably go again!

Reviewed 27 March 2014

Went here following reviews and was disappointed. Food when it came was nice, but had to wait a long time and it was very over priced. Wouldn't visit again.

1  Thank Hodgsonfamilyfun