“In need of modernisation”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Yarmouth
Warner Leisure Hotels Norton Grange Coastal Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Yarmouth
Selsey, United Kingdom
“In need of modernisation”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

I had a very enjoyable stay at Norton Grange. The weather was hit and miss which is to be expected at this time of year, there lies one of the problems. All the accomodation is dotted around the grounds and means walking in the pooring rain to get to the main building containing the resteraunt and bars, hence umbrellas provided in the chalet. I am 55 and felt very young compared to most of the guests but boy could they knock the all inclusive booze back. The food was generally fine although our table for four people was tiny and we ended up using an adjacent window seal to stand things on, our Polish waitress informed us one night that the soup was 'Mince Pie' (actually Minted Pea), Hilarious. Im not really a group entertainment person so will only say that the other guests generally seemed to enjoy it although I thought the comedian was very average. Our Chalet was clean although certain aspects paticularly the bathroom that was very dated needed upgrading. When we arrived on the Friday night it was raining and we struggled to find our chalet which was a fair way from the car park to carry all our luggage. We had a problem with the cleaning of our room that was resolved fairly easily. The staff with a couple of exceptions were very friendly, helpful and cheerful. The Christmas decorations everywhere and Festive music was a bit depressing in early November. Norton Grange has a stunning quite waterfront location looking across the Solent to Lymington from which the ferry docs about a quarter of a mile away for easy access. We toured the Isle of Wight on the stormy Saturday it was stunnig and had a nice pub lunch. If you visit this Warners venue Im sure youll have a great time but the things I have mentioned will be apparent.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
SCOTT_KING_NG, Guest Liaison at Warner Leisure Hotels Norton Grange Coastal Resort, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent break with us, I am so pleased you had an enjoyable stay. All of your comments will be carefully considered.
I am glad you spent time appreciating the stunning views from our Waterfront Lounge, and managed to see some of the Island too, indeed it does have many charms, in all weathers!
We do now offer a porter service to have luggage taken to your chalet when you arrive. All you have to do is park up, and make yourself at home! If you arrive later in the evening, we can offer this service from our main reception area, and a member of our friendly team will even come and assist you in the car park should you require it. Please don't struggle again!
I hope you will return to experience this, and the exciting improvements that we are making to Norton Grange through 2014. It promises to be a very exciting year for us, and for all our loyal guests.
Guest Liaison

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
Watford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013

This was my first stay at a Warner resort. It is a very warm and welcoming hotel very close to Yarmouth ferry port. We got our room keys straight away on arrival.

Our room: We stayed in a premier lodge which we were really happy with. Plenty of room, clean and modern decor. No complaints on the accommodation. Strangely wonky bedside lamps though...

The Restaurant: We loved having our own dedicated table in the restaurant for the duration of our stay. It takes any stress out of where you are going to sit every meal time. The food was fantastic and I enjoyed every meal and walked away stuffed each time.

The Mariners Bar: this was the main bar where the nightly entertainment was held. It was a decent size room with just about enough tables for everyone but, if you want a good view of the shows, I suggest going to dinner early and then get a table straight after. We enjoyed the interactive quizzes and bingo. The entertainment team and their shows were very good quality.

The coffee bar: This was a nice and relaxing area that serves fantastic deluxe hot chocolate. The view from the windows across the sea is amazing. It must be awesome sitting out and looking across the channel on a beautiful warm sunny day!

Games room: We loved this room as it had a snooker table, darts boards, table tennis, shuffle board all free without the hassle of hiring all the equipment. We do think the pool table should be free too though. It was never busy in there, which was great.

Pool area: We were a bit disappointed with the pool area. I didn't like the fact anyone could look in from outside (a bit of a fish bowl). A steam room would be nice and the bubble pool was disappointing as they are normally very warm but it was the same fairly chilly temperature as the swimming pool. The overall decor and the changing room areas need updating.

Outside: There were lots of outdoor activities like tennis, boules and golf to take part in and ther are some good walks up and down the sea front and in the woods out the back of there hotel. A great way to burn of some of those great and filling meals.

Overall thoughts: this is an informal resort where you don't feel you need to dress up. We did feel a bit too young for this hotel at 37 and 39. I think the overall average age was around 50 but that didn't stop us from enjoying the activities and entertainment. We had a great stay and would definitely go to stay at a Warner hotel again but perhaps somewhere different next time as so many to choose from.

Handy Tips:
1. Leave your towels at home - They provide ones in your room and also ones at the pool.
2. As mentioned earlier, if you want a good view of entertainment, go to dinner early and the go straight to bar.
3. Take decent walking shoes/boots as uneven ground on the walks from hotel.
4. Don't forget your bingo pens!
5. Don't feel you have to finish all the wine you ordered at dinner. They will cork it and serve the rest up the next night if you wish.
6. Go to breakfast early or they run out of croissants and rolls!

1 Thank HolidayHev
'Warm and welcoming' is a lovely way to describe your stay with us, and I thank you for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor.
Great advice for new guests to Norton Grange too. We look forward to giving you a warm welcome to any of the wonderful Warner resorts that you choose in 2014. If you would like assistance and advice when making your booking, please call our friendly team on 01983 760323.
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I honestly thought I had written about Norton Grange and our wonderful experience, so sorry this is a bit late We stayed Mon - Fri 4nts 19th - 23rd Aug 2013. We managed to get to travel to the IOW from Southampton to Cowes, and road directions were good, never got lost once!! The resort is set back on a corner, and first impressions made us both feel excited and relaxed at the same time. The Reception staff were so attentive and kind as I SOMETIMES have to use a wheelchair. Our chalet was a Standard one in BRADING block, not in the centre of things, but not too far to walk even for me! We found it to be exceptionally clean and tidy, with lovely comfy beds lots of room and everything to a good high standard. The food as always at Warners was delicious, good choices for everyone, hot as it was meant to be, overall fantastic (and I'm very fussy with food), I even tried things I thought I didn't like, and was pleasantly surprised! I especially liked the Waterfront Bar, where you could just sit, relax with a nice wine and watch the world go by, or come the evening, quizzes and light entertainment and such were held here, with lovely soft deep furnishings, you couldn't help but to relax and talk with new found friends. The swimming pool was a bit cooler than I had expected, but it wasn't a disaster especially as we had a beautiful week of constant sunshine. The Games Room was also a point of excellence, with a good choice of activities for all tastes. I only found one thing missing from Norton Grange and that was the lack of a Salon for nails, hair, massages and other light beauty treats. Overall definitely one to go back to. Already booked same time next year for 7 nights.

Room Tip: Our room was facing towards the back of the resort, so had sunshine all afternoon.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Come back soon!
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. I am thrilled that you had such a great experience and will be returning in 2014.
I am pleased you found your accommodation met your needs, indeed our Brading rooms are well suited to anyone with mobility difficulties, and I am happy that you found our friendly reception team helpful too. Thank you for your lovely comments.
We can't wait to have you back with us,
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Warner's advertise this as adults only holiday resort, what they mean is over 65's, or at least that is what 90% of the client base is. It's great to see older people getting out but I'm afraid they swamp the venue, it would be nice of Warner to warn you of the age group mix before you book. The dining experience is awful with your meal taken in an over crowded dining room ( it's not a restaurant by any means) with barely 10" between tables. The first night they ran out of food on one selection at the carvery, Chicken, even the most inexperienced chef would know given the option of lamb or chicken that chicken would be the most popular. Unit costs on the meals would be low given the choice and variety GP would be high. The entertainment is not for everyone, that's fine, we're all different. Some like Bingo and karaoke, not me. Drinks are top end pub price so to be expected.

On the positive side, staff are very accommodating and friendly, chalets ( at least the premium) are good with reasonable amount of space, the walls however are paper thin and conversations, coughing and toileting can be heard from your neighbours.

The main complex is in need of a make over with the outside looking particularly tired, a lick of paint would make such a difference.

The acid test for me is would I be taking advantage of the constant offers to book early for 2014. I'm afraid not, I will not be back. For the client base it's aiming at it makes business sense to Warner's . There is plenty of grey pounds out there to spend. Is it a sustainable business, probably for a few years but beyond that no. The demise of occupational pensions and the increasing cost of living is likely to curtail the spending of OAPs of the future. This is definitely the 60's baby boomer venue, but they are a finite resource.

Room Tip: Book premium chalet. Cars not permitted in the complex so take case with wheels.
1 Thank asl1956
Thank you for the rather 'mixed' review of your recent stay at Norton Grange.
Whilst all of your comments are appreciated and will be carefully considered, I would like to reassure you, and any other readers, that we do not cater only for the over 65's.
With a varied programme of entertainment and activities including archery, shooting, spinning classes, aqua fit, dancing, karaoke and shows which include 'Boogie Fever' and visiting artists presenting tributes to bands including 'Take That' and 'Westlife', I think we can confidently boast a programme to suit all ages.
I am sorry that Norton Grange fell below your expectations on this occasion, and I hope that you will return to an alternative Warner resort in 2014 which may better suit your particular tastes. There are plenty to pick from, all with their own style and character, and our friendly team would be happy to help you make a decision on 01983 760323.
Hampshire, UK
Reviewed 17 November 2013

We travelled in by ferry to Yarmouth, the resort is a very short drive from the ferry or a 10 min walk. First impressions were how clean and tidy the resort looked. Once we'd parked up we headed for the main area where we were met by the reception staff who were lovely.

Although the chalet was a short distance from the main area, and a brolly provided (oh it rained most of the weekend lol!) it was clean, well maintained and warm. Our waitress for the weekend was the lovely Beatriz, very petite, polite young lady but boy could she move, she was brilliant, she looked after everyone so well and always had a smile on her face. The food was excellent - hot with plenty of choice, the chefs really know how to spoil people.

We'd decided on this weekend as it was an all inclusive drinks package (from 6pm - midnight) plus a Michael Buble Tribute weekend (Saturday) - sorry but we felt that this was more of an insult to the main man and the guy we thought was terrible, his backing track was too loud and he was trying too hard to be something he wasn't - quite a few people even walked out!!!

The entertainment on Friday was Tank Sherman, comedian, we'd seen him before and he's hilarious, such a change to hear jokes that were clean yet funny, well worth seeing. As for the main entertainment staff - words fail us, they were brilliant, sang, dances, mixed with everyone, always smiling and as for the 'boss' Ricky, he really is passionate about what he does and brings the best out of his staff - keep up the good work Norton Grange, you've a fab crew.

Room Tip: Apart from the disabled chalets most are a short walk from the main area and a brolly is very useful...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us,
I am so pleased that you had a great weekend break, and that although some disappointment with the 'Michael Buble' tribute, you did enjoy our own talented team, and the fabulous Tank Sherman!
Beatriz is a great member of our talented restaurant team and I will make sure that she is aware of your comments, and 'The Boss', Ricky Lee too, I am sure he will appreciate your feedback.
We look forward to giving you a warm welcome back in the future,
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 November 2013

We had a great 4 day trip to Norton Grange for Turkey and Tinsel. The site was clean and well maintained and is smaller than some of the others we have visited. The food was good and there was plenty of variety. We had a premier room that was good but the bathroom wasn't great.The seperate seating area in the room was smaller than we thought. The pool was good but the bubble pool wasn't heated. The entertainment was good and the entertainment staff worked very hard but the visiting entertainers weren't so good. The drinks inclusive offer made it a good value stay and the staff were hardworking and polite. We got a free christmas present and sweets. The fireworks were a nice touch but some didn't work.We won 3 quizzes! There was only 1 car park in use but the staff offered to carry our bags. Overall a big effort was made by all the staff to give us a good time. Generally I think that the hotels are posher than the villages but Norton Grange is nice and in a stunning location, far better than Lakeside on Hayling Island. I would recommend Norton Grange.

Room Tip: The premier rooms are ok but the bathrooms aren't that good with noisy showers and ill flushing...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for recommending Norton Grange as 'nice and in a stunning location' for a great value holiday.
We do hope that you will return in 2014 to experience some of the improvements that we will be making to our parking and our accommodation. As always, you can be assured of an enjoyable dining experience every night of your stay, followed by fabulous entertainment and a varied programme of activities in the daytime. And, we will always make that 'big effort' to make sure you have a good time.
Thank you for your feedback, we look forward to seeing you again soon,
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Just got back from this venue and had to tell you all about it.
This was our fifth holiday this year and by far the best.
Booked it late but still got a free upgrade.
Room was very warm and the bed was large and comfortable, towels changed each time you left them in the bath, shower was perfect.
So who was the best member of staff, now thats hard.
Maybe the reception lady that had a badge on offering free hugs. I had two.
The guy that was Father Christmas who remembered my name from the night before.
Our waitress Marta who had a smile that lit up the room.
The youngsters that ran the swimming pool that were so helpfull, I used it every day.
The boys and girls behind the bar that worked flat out but still had the time to natter to you as they poured your drinks which in my case were very many as this was an all inclusive break.
Not one sad face did I see the whole time I was there.
Must just say a word about the animation team who were fantastic, as good as any I have seen on Cruise ships.
Thanks one and all see you again soon I hope. ROY

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Roy, your review was quite simply a delight to read, and I am so grateful that you chose to share your thoughts on Trip Advisor. Thank you!
I sincerely hope you will return in 2014. I am certain that our friendly team will be very happy to make your holiday extra special once again.
Have a great Christmas and New Year,
Guest Liaison
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yarmouth
The Royal Hotel
Luccombe Manor Country House Hotel
The Clifton
The Clifton
#2 of 52 in Shanklin

Been to Warner Leisure Hotels Norton Grange Coastal Resort? Share your experiences!