We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Yarmouth
Warner Leisure Hotels Norton Grange Coastal Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Yarmouth
Bristol
“Good time”
Reviewed 20 November 2008

After reading some negative views for this hotel we were wondering what we would find.

All in all the experience was good, lovely clean and warm chalets. Staff very helpful. Food excellent and plentiful.

The entertainment was excellent from the resident band to the two shows on Sat and Sun.

My family pre-paid for the "birthday treat" for me on Friday, which should have been placed in the Restaurant at Dinner but was overlooked, this was soon attended to and was waiting for me in the ballroom later.

The only downside for me was the age group of other visitors, average 70+, the Sequence and ballroom dancing was not my cup of tea but the older generation loved it. I guess you have to cater for all age groups.

• Liked — Entertainment
  • Disliked — Sequence Dancing!
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
Essex
Reviewed 3 November 2008

I am the stewardess of a members social club and organise two weekends away every year for our members. This October we went to Norton Grange for a sixties weekend (all ninety five of us). This is the first time we have been to a holiday camp with chalets usually opting for a hotel but I have to say that this is probably the best weekend we have ever had.

The entertainment was superb on all three evenings. The chalets were all clean and comfortable, some of us had the premier ones and other the standard ones but both were in excellent shape, clean sheets and towels, plenty of hot water and hot radiators. The food was excellent and there was plenty of it, nothing was too much trouble for the waiters and waitresses, even on the first evening when trying to seat us all in the restaurant with another three coach parties there was slight confusion but all was sorted and complementary wine was offered to those who were inconvenienced.

The games room and swimming pool were both used by our members who had no complaints.

The staff on the reception desk, at the bars and in the shop were all cheerful and helpful.

I can honestly say that we all had a great time and for the first time in ten years since I have been taking members away on these weekends I have had no complaints from any one of them, we definately will be doing this again

• Liked — Warm friendly atmosphere, great entertainment, chalets and food
  • Stayed October 2008
Coalville
Reviewed 9 September 2008

This has to have been the worst experience of my life, the only good thing I can say about this holiday was the entertainment which was first class. Everything else forget it, if you can, unfortunately that's easier said than done.

This is a copy of the letter I wrote as soon as I returned home on the 29th July 2008

Norton Grange, mid week break 21st – 25th July 2008

Dear Sirs,

It is with regret that I find myself writing this letter with regard to the above-mentioned break.

First may I say that we had an enjoyable mid-week break at Nidd Hall the previous week and were exceptionally pleased with everything, showing the contrast between that and Norton Grange was very noticeable indeed. The only thing that we can say with all honesty was that the entertainment at Norton Grange was first class. We enjoyed every evening and the band was very obliging and did their best to accommodate everyone.

Reception
Its difficult to know where to begin so I suppose the Reception would be a good start. We were given an envelope which said on the outside that all relevant information would be inside – only keys inside, no details of meal times etc. Reception was not covered after 8pm at least one evening while we were there, as there were no contact phones in the chalets I don’t know what we would have done in an emergency. There was also no one on reception the morning we departed, so I was unable to settle our bar bill.

Chalets
We had booked a Premier room and that is what we expected, we were very disappointed with the room. The carpet was so filthy that we could not walk barefoot on it, there was spillage stains down the walls and on the drawer fronts. A chair was so badly soiled with stains that we would not use it. Wallpaper was peeling of the walls and the general look of the room was very drab. I have to say that we have experienced much better chalets and cleanliness at Butlins when we have gone on their adult big weekend breaks.

The standard of cleaning was non-existent; the only thing done everyday was the beds being made and tea/coffee facilities replenished. The washbasin was never cleaned, glasses never changed even though they had lipstick marks on them, surfaces not wiped down in bathroom, even though there was water splashes and make-up powder on them. Towels left on the floor (which were obviously dirty) were just re-hung on rail. If the cleaner arrived when you where in the chalet, she would knock and enter without waiting for a reply, very embarrassing on one occasion.

The Bar
Some of the bar staff had no idea how to make a cocktail and when they attempted a Pina Colada it was awful, all I could taste was cream. A Britvic Orange and Soda was first made with Orange Squash!! Prices varied each evening for the same drinks.

The Restaurant
We found the opening times of the restaurant very restrictive, only 1 hour morning and evening. 6:30 to 7:30 in the evening. If you arrived at around 7:15 most of the salads and main courses had been cleared away. You felt like naughty school children arriving late and having to make do with leftovers. You then became surrounded with staff cleaning up and resetting tables, not very conducive to a relaxing and enjoyable meal, you felt very pressured to get on with it and not linger over your wine.

Which leads nicely on to the bar in the restaurant, twice out of the four nights our wine was delivered to the wrong table. One night we did not get it until we have nearly completed out main course. Each evening the wine was delivered (eventually) with no finesse at all. It was just dumped on the table. No “Would you like to try the wine”, or asking if it was the correct wine; no pouring of the wine. Where have all the little luxuries gone that we expect from a hotel break of this standard?

First may I say that I am not a racist, we have experienced Polish waiters and waitresses at Nidd Hall and they were very polite and obliging, in very big contrast to Norton Grange where the standard was unbelievable. I have been abroad many times, to many countries and I can honestly say that I have never had a language problem until last week in my own country.

Before we even managed to sit at our table we were asked which bread we wanted, not politely I might add but in pigeon English i.e. white or brown; the same when it came to ‘tea or coffee’.
The waitress did not introduce herself or greet us in any way, there was no attempt at casual conversation as would have been the norm. We were given no time to assess the menu and enjoy deciding what we would like to eat, she would keep coming back every minute and say “which starter”.

The tables were often not set correctly with a full complement of cutlery, they ran out of tea spoons on more than one occasion and people were having to using soup dishes as side plates for toast etc. Tables were not cleared on the previous courses plates before bringing the next, and then you would experience a juggling fiasco. Courses were delivered without appropriate cutlery i.e. knife with cheese and biscuits and of course you have to try and make them understand what you wanted, easier than you think when they do not understand basic English i.e.
Ask for Mints you get Milk
Order Macaroni Cheese – Mashed Peas
Asking for serviettes were an absolute no, no. All she could do was shrug her shoulders and grin.
Lemon Slices, Cream, and Marmalade – it was like asking for the impossible.
And try asking for Marmite, it took five people before someone understood what was meant.

All in all very frustrating, it made every mealtime just another fiasco and left you wondering what would be the next problem. You even had to point to the menu to order something as she cold not understand what we wanted. I have never done so much miming in my entire life, it was like something out of Faulty Towers, in fact I was beginning to feel as if I was in the middle of it.
And last but not least waitresses chewing ‘CHEWING GUM’ even the receptionist was chewing gum. I have this problem all day at school without contending with it on holiday.

In conclusion a very disappointing break, especially after our visit to Nidd Hall the week before which was so enjoyable in contrast. Speaking to other guests only emphasised that what we were experiencing was not normal for Warner Leisure Hotels. One couple we spoke to had visited Norton Grange in April of this year and they could not believe the difference. It will make us certainly think twice before we use your company again and we will not be recommending you to any of our friends and relations who were waiting to see how much we enjoyed Warner Leisure Hotels.

We look forward to hearing your comments.

As at 9th September, I'm still waiting a reply from both Head Office and Norton Grange. That says it all doesn't it!!!

• Liked — The Evening Entertainment
  • Disliked — Everything else, Chalets, Restaurant, Staff
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank LoobyLooCoalville
Nottingham
Reviewed 14 August 2008

My husband and I have returned home from Norton Grange on 7th August one day earlier than scheduled due to the standard of the property. (a Mon - Fri break)

The chalet was disgusting, it smelt 'fusty' it was very dirty and the maintenance of the chalet was non existent. The cleaning of the chalet while we were there was pathetic. One towel change and the bed was only made twice, the bathroom was not cleaned at all during our stay. We complained along with a number of other guests some of who demanded to be put in the Bembridge Hotel.

This place definately needs a full refurbishment.

To be honest the worst holiday we have ever had, couldn't wait to get home to my clean house!!! A weeks holiday ruined by the bad standards and annoying that Warners think their guests should accept these standards. Not acceptable.

• Liked — Absolutely Nothing
  • Disliked — The total lack of standards in the chalet and other parts of the main building
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LorraineNottingham
Hayling Island
Reviewed 30 July 2008

This is a copy of the letter that I will be sending to the Customer Care, complaints department and only rates a 1 as there is no zero:

Last year we visited the Isle of Wight and had a wonderful time, both at the establishment we chose, and in exploring the area. Our favourite part of the island is the South West: Yarmouth, Freshwater Bay, Colwell Bay, Ventnor etc. and we decided that Norton Grange would make the ideal base to revisit these areas.

We live near Sinah Warren and were aware of the esteem in which it is held, we also trawled your website and decided that you could provide the resting and luxurious 4 day break that would work especially well with my husband’s limited vacation time.

Expecting to be greeted at reception, we were told to go through to the patio – prompting us to say that we weren’t part of the arriving coach trip! However, registration was quickly done and we went and unpacked. The chalet was shabby but we were willing to give the Resort a go and went for a drink.

It wasn’t until after the drink that we had a really good look at the chalet and, had had we not had that drink, we would have left immediately.

Chalet (Premier):
• There was a crack running across the lounge and into the bathroom
• A large crack with unfilled holes on one side of the door frame
• Botched painting and repairs to the walls were very obvious
• The shower curtain was bent with a broken bracket holding it to the wall
• Four unfilled holes in the wall where the curtain rails had been moved
• The outside security light shone onto the bed all night as the curtains stood proud of the window and therefore let in light. This ensured a bad night’s sleep.
• No information pack – not even the times of dinner and breakfast

Chalet Surfaces:
• Obvious surfaces had been wiped but the lower shelf of the bedside tables, pipework and beside the toilet were dirty and dusty.
• Mould around the bath

• A big chip in the bath
• Remnants of substances, eg coffee powder/sugar, in the hostess tray
• All reflective surfaces, including picture glass, showed smears from incomplete cleaning
• The kettle had dirt marks from unsuccessfully removing a sticky label near the handle. But especially disturbing were the dirty spout and lid.
• The drinking glasses in the bathroom were also dirty
• External window surrounds and sills were all dirty

I have photographs to substantiate most of these complaints and can e-mail them to you, should you so desire.

Surroundings:
• Outside tables were left with a large number of used glasses.
• No ashtrays were provided for smokers
• Dirty glasses left in the pool/darts area and an empty drinks bottle on the floor.
• I have no objection to it’s being an “80-100” club but would not have booked had I known. In consideration of this age group, and given the state of the resort, I have contacted Environment Health on the Island.

Other

I was expecting a complimentary bottle of sherry but instead found a litre bottle of Schloer which is “best served chilled” and to “refrigerate after opening” – there is no fridge in the chalet.

Staff

I do expect your bar staff to have a reasonable knowledge of common drinks, especially as you serve cocktails in the Mariner’s bar. Ordering a Bloody Mary from the general bar was difficult until we switched to Spanish.

Equally, I’m sure that our waiter’s level of English would easily cope with a less stressful and chaotic dinner service. Again, I was able to communicate easily with him in Spanish. He was very distressed and was working as fast as possible, navigating the very limited space available.

I am not at all complaining about the service that the staff provided but I question management not ensuring that staff are trained to, and supported at, a suitable level.

Meal

Deciding to wait a bit to allow the dinner queue of people packed into the foyer to clear, we found that the dining room was heaving with people packed in like sardines, noisy, with fraught waiters running backwards and forwards, and a very close, hot atmosphere. Nominal ventilation was provided by open doors and windows. It is clearly a “canteen” as opposed to a fine dining experience.

I was disturbed to notice soap containers on the wall, displayed very publically, and a recommendation for use in preventing infections – not very auspicious.

We were given a table number but had to find the rough area and then ask fellow guests what their number was as there wasn’t one on our table. The next diners were no more than 8 inches from our table. After a while, we were given one menu between us. 15 minutes later the waiter took our order and eventually brought 2 plates of disgustingly watery pate which, after a mouthful or 2 we left.

The people beside us were as distraught as we were, especially as the main fish dish was barely warm, they had previously stayed at a variety of Warner sites and had had a super experience, totally unlike this - they only just beat us to talking with the duty manager.

However, their leaving the dining room, not waiting for their dessert and leaving most of their meal, meant that their table could be used by the people beside them to put on their dirty starter plates as their main had arrived before the table had been cleared.

While still waiting for our main course, I went to see if our bingo tickets could be refunded as it was clear that we wouldn’t be able to attend the start at 8:00pm as we hadn’t finished being served and would be further delayed by seeing the manager immediately after the meal. During this discussion, my husband appeared by my side saying that his main course was inedible. While waiting for the duty manager; the client beside us at reception was demanding a “deep clean” of his chalet as it was filthy.

The duty manager was relatively helpful but not particularly bothered and we made an appointment to see the Sales Manager in the morning.

The Sales Manager was available at 8:00am and immediately stated that she could authorise the refund in full. There was neither an attempt at an apology nor any show of concern to two clients who were obviously upset about the experience and I am not happy that the refund will be credited to my credit card within 10-15 days, meaning that I cannot now use the money in any other way.

As the reception desk is right near the entrance to the restaurant and breakfast service was presumably starting (we still haven’t found out when it should be), I can only presume that she wanted us out of there as soon as possible to hide the event from other guests. Diplomacy would have indicated waiving our drinks charge card amount of just over £10 but she happily stood there whilst another employee processed it.

Tired, hungry and upset (in more ways than one), we changed our ferry ticket and left that day as we wanted to get home as soon as possible even though it meant our holiday was over.

My lasting memory of this trip will not actually be the state of the resort or the food but the bouts of explosive diarrhoea and vomiting that I am still enduring. My husband has also had a stomach upset, but minor, but then I do have a weaker immune system.

Finally, what do I expect as an outcome to this letter? I am not asking for compensation but feel very strongly that you should:
• take this very seriously
• immediately assess and clean the resort.
• ensure that no-one else has a similar experience
• send a cheque refund for the full amount

In the hope of achieving a better stay for future clients,

Yours faithfully,

• Liked — There are a lot of sweet wild bunny rabbits running around
  • Disliked — Everything else - it was a truly awful experience
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank Vix2000
Sussex
Reviewed 7 April 2008

Our friends really liked their Warners break on the IoW so we booked up. Sadly we booked the wrong resort! They stayed at Bembridge and looked horrified when we told them we were going to Nortons Grange. Let me say it's pretty cheap for a 3 night stay DBB plus ferry crossing especially with all the entertainment included. We don't 'do' entertainment so i can't comment.

The evening meals were OK, plenty of food but like an upmarket school dinner, just. We only ate one breakfast out of the 3, it wasn't very good so we didn't make the effort. The coffee and fruit juices are appalling. I went in the pool every day. Not big or deep but OK. Very shabby though and the water didn't look too clean. The chalet: we booked a premier and it was very clean but dire. They painted the ceilings nicotine brown despite it's non smoking status! The walls were peach and blue and the dated bathroom a grey/sludge colour. The lights, although unpleasant and glaring gave off very little light, most odd. However the bed was something else. I have travelled the world from £5-£900 per night rooms and this was the WORST bed ever. 2 singles pushed together, all springs with a dash of nylon over the top.

I checked out a vacated newly refurbed chalet, new mattress, still cheap and nasty in the extreme.

Good points were the staff were friendly and the grounds very nice. Seems there is quite a bit to do if you want to stay on site and only a five minute walk into the small town - pretty harbour. Great base for touring round the island. Wouldn't go again but you get what you pay for. They do need to spend quite alot on improving the fabric of the buildings but is that possible when the rates are so low?

• Liked — Clean
  • Disliked — The decor. and the bed, TERRIBLE!
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gillian S
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2007

We've just returned from the annual Blues weekend @ Norton Grange & were pleased to find they have been doing some renovating since our last visit in October 2006. New flat screen TV's in the Premier Chalets, & some general maintenance with trellis between each chalet (maybe they are going to add climbers in pots next year) plus some new fencing. Our chalet had not been redecorated at all, so it would be nice to see a new colour scheme by next October.
Sadly, the catering was a let down as usual. I know that the site was virtually full so the catering is on a large scale but Warners should listen to their patrons in general & try to make the food more appetising & ring the changes a little with the menus. The full English breakfasts are fine & really fill you up for the day. Our waitress must have been having a bad weekend as she looked very disgruntled most of the time & didn't seem to be very welcoming.
However, the music more than made up for everything & we will still go back next year .

Also consider these accommodations in or near Yarmouth
The George Hotel
Lakeside Park Hotel & Spa
South Lawn Hotel
South Lawn Hotel
#1 of 1 in Milford on Sea

Been to Warner Leisure Hotels Norton Grange Coastal Resort? Share your experiences!