“Nortion Grange.. lovely”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Yarmouth
Warner Leisure Hotels Norton Grange Coastal Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Yarmouth
Crawley, United Kingdom
“Nortion Grange.. lovely”
Reviewed 3 October 2006

I have just come back from staying at the Norton Grange Hotel for a long weekend and I have only compliments for the accomodation and the very friendly staff.

The long weekend was booked as a belated birthday present for borh me and my partner to see Marty Wilde and his WIldcats, who were wonderful might I add.

I am 39 and my partner is 40 and ok we were pretty much the youngest guests there, however you have to get on with it. If you make the effort and smile and say hello, most people will do the same.

The chalets were quote old, but very comfortable. The restaurant food was lovely as were the staff and couldn't do enough for us.

I would also like to say a big well done for the Entertainments staff who were first class.. Can't wait to go back

• Liked — Comfortable and Clean
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank wildcats1967

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
Portsmouth
Reviewed 9 October 2005

I have stayed at Norton Grange several times and always look forward to my next visit. The previous posters must stay at a different resort to me as I find the dinner menu first class, the breakfast is acceptable especially when you consider the price of these breaks. The waiters, entertainers, receptionists, bar staff and cleaners are always really friendly, trying their best to ensure you have a good break, I even had a conversation with the gardener who was working really hard to keep the place up together. The accomodation is Chalet style which is great as the weather always seems good on the IOW and you can sit outside on the lawns drinking a nice glass of wine. Probably needs a bit of routine maintenance but not bad enough to spoil our visit. I visited when the Batchelors were the guest cabaret and they were first class. In all I would say these Warner breaks are first class, my only critisism is I would like to see the average age and the price of drinks lowered. Lastly this is a great location to explore the IOW from with Cowes, The Needles, Blackgang and numerous other resorts being nearby.

• Stayed September 2005
3 Thank granky
Bedford UK
Reviewed 11 September 2005

Oh dear... where to start? We are a forty something couple and as Warner market heavily on it's adults only, relaxing, pampering, romantic type break basis we thought it would be perfect for an Anniversary weekend. Wrong! It is a cross between a geriatric care home (the average guest age seemed to be around 70) and a 1950's Holiday camp. The 'Chalet style rooms' ARE chalets spread over the grounds and the 'superior' room (chalet) we paid extra for was very ordinary and dated. The double bed was actually two singles pushed together and the fridge (an extra £10) was not in the chalet and had to be collected from reception with a further £10 deposit. It then turned out to be one of those little plastic things you use to store a few cans in. Each days 'entertainment' schedule read like something out of hi-di-hi and included such delights as regular bingo sessions and quizzes. Our superior deal meant we had the privilege of our own table for two in the restaurant (more like a huge canteen) which in reality meant it was seperated from tables either side by all of 3 or 4 inches allowing no chance of 'romantic' or other private conversation. The food was appalling, particularly the breakfast... we chose the full English which was a help yourself buffet and truly the worst we've ever seen. The scrambled egg was a big bowl of what looked like cottage cheese immersed in dirty water, the bacon was swimming in water and grease, the hash browns were as hard as rock, the fried eggs cold and congealed - the list of faults is endless. We had feared as much as the evening before we had chosen the Carvery which consisted of a 'reformed' joint of pork with a choice of veg of cubes of soft transluscent stuff which we think was swede with a few grey peas mixed in and a tureen of shredded cabbage. You are restricted to set meal times of 8:30 - 9:30 am for breakfast and 6:30 to 7:30 pm for eve meal. We did check out the evening entertainment but when we entered a room full of people taking part in the evening quiz hosted by an elvis impersonator in the full sequined white suit we beat a hasty retreat! When we returned to the chalet after breakfast we found our bed had been 'made' meaning the sheets had been pulled up but the pillows left scrunched and tumbled exactly as we'd left them. As you only get the chalet made up on the Saturday morning (no service on a Sunday) we'd left the towels in the bath to be replaced but instead they had simply been hung over the shower rail to dry! We decided to cut our losses and escape after only 16 hours of a 3 night break and we could write a novel about the rest of the awfulness of it all. The only good thing we can say about the whole experience is that the staff seemed very friendly and helpful. There is no doubt a big market for this kind of holiday for a certain type of person, particularly among the older generation, but Warner need to be honest in their marketing and descriptions to save people like ourselves the horror of the experience!

• Stayed September 2005
16 Thank johndm1957
Phil_at_Norton, General Manager at Warner Leisure Hotels Norton Grange Coastal Resort, responded to this review, 14 August 2006
I am hugely dissapointed that you did not enjoy your time at Norton Grange. We are a very popular chalet based resort and our accommodation is clean and comfortable and most see as great value. The particular accommodation block you stayed in has recently had all the bathrooms refurbished (Apr 06) therefore the attached picture no longer gives a true representation. It is also worth noting that 91% of our guests this year 06 have rated their holiday as good as or better than they expected it to be. I am unsure as to whether you spoke to any member of the management team whilst on site but rest assured guest satisfaction is our priority. May I also point out that different themed breaks attract different age groups and our dedicated sales team on-site could advise accordingly. Some breaks have many guests in the under 55 age bracket. (Motown, Soul etc)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 2 August 2005

My Wife and I stayed at Norton Grange for a long weekend (Fri - Mon) and had booked a superior room (at an additional cost). When we arrived we were warmly greeted by a member of staff and shown our dining table and then escorted to our room. The room was comfortable for our requirements. The only complaint about the room was the shower was not very powerful and went from freezing cold to boiling hot at it's own discretion !

As the other reviewer commented, some may find the dining timetable a little restrictive (breakfast 8.30 - 9.30 and dinner 6.30 - 7.30). However we were happy to sit for dinner around 9.15 in the morning and 7.15 in the evening and was never rushed to finish.

We played some Pitch and Putt and used the mini bowling alley, which were both adequate.

The Staff were friendly and courteous at all times.

Now on to my criticism, as Warner Holidays are designed for "couples" and does not have a exaggerated lower age limit. I am in my early 30's and my Wife in her late 20's, but every day I would walk to breakfast and greet people on the way with a cheery "morning" only to be looked at as if I had two heads or spoke a different language (or completely ignored)!! I run a very successful office based business and have grown up with good manners, it's a shame that the same could not be said for other guests !

This is obviously not a criticism of Warner Holidays and there staff, rather the old gits who frequent their accommodation. For this reason, I shall think long and hard before booking with "Warner" again.

• Stayed July 2005
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Hemel Hempstead, UK
Reviewed 25 July 2005

We stayed at this hotel/park in July 2005, and found it to be poor. We stayed in a basic room and it was in need of a coat of paint and a new bathroom suite. the bath had rust on it and the room was generally unclean.

The food was ok, but others told us not as good as it used to be. The restuarant times of 6.30-7.30pm only was crazy and you felt rushed to eat your food. The 2nd night we didn't even get offered any drinks! Breakfast was also only served for an hour.

The entertainment was ok, but included the same jokes every night. The games room is away from the main house and entertainment centre, so to have a drink whilst playing pool etc is impossible. We were also told not to use the pool, as people said the pool water hurt your eyes and were in pain!

Overall the view from the main house is lovely, overlooking the solent (you can see the hotel from the ferry from Lymington - Yarmouth), but the whole place is in need of refurbishment, and if going again i'd pay the additional payment to upgrade to the luxury rooms!

• Stayed July 2005
11 Thank LeeEngland
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yarmouth
The George Hotel
Lakeside Park Hotel & Spa
South Lawn Hotel
South Lawn Hotel
#1 of 1 in Milford on Sea

Been to Warner Leisure Hotels Norton Grange Coastal Resort? Share your experiences!