“Lovely quiet family site!”

The Orchards Holiday Caravan and Camping Park
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We spent a long weekend at The Orchards in a caravan as a last. Minute mini break and had a wonderful time. Our 5 and 2 year old boys loved the pools and play areas, we didn't use the take away but it looked and smelt lovely! the caravan was immaculate and presented nicely, it was very quiet so we were lucky to have one right by the car park and facilities. We do camp and had a walk around the tourers field one evening after dinner, and the pitches and wash facilities were fantastic! We have already pencilled in a weekend to return next year with the tent!
15 mins drive to black gang chine, also found a lovely farm shop in mottistone which sold homemade fresh gluten free quiches and pies which my husband being coeliac, was chuffed to bit to find!
We will be returning for a weekend possibly this autumn or next year for sure!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Lauza01
Julie G, Owner at The Orchards Holiday Caravan and Camping Park, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

We were delighted to read your review and find that you all enjoyed your stay with us. We are especially pleased that you are coming back! It's great that you found gluten free quiches for your husband in Mottistone. That is certainly worth knowing about, we will pass that information onto other guests.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

We arrived- well- no Hello, no welcome, no how was your journey- nothing whatsoever, and it was not busy we were the only people in Reception.
3 staff in the Reception- 1 having a go at someone on the phone- 1 staring out the window and the 1 that checked us in- well no manners whatsoever- only interested in flying through the incredibly long list of questions??? which had already been put on the booking form??- need to adopt the CC booking in system.
We were taken to an allocated pitch- albeit I had sent an updated email prior to arrival which was not acknowledged. I totally understand the need to allocate when the site is full- however it was not and when my husband made a request for a different pitch was told already allocated- however there was one adjacent and this would have suited our needs better- and had they read the email- perhaps this would have been allocated- no "oh I am sorry we can't do" just a this is your pitch- clearly to much trouble for the rude receptionist.
The pitches are in complete need of refurbishing by way of gravel- we have been touring several years now and this is the worst we have ever been on- hardly any gravel whatsoever.
People need to be mindful- you will need levelling blocks for this site.
We do not have children- however the fact that they were not even allowed foot scooters or bikes in nothing short of ridiculous- they could confine this to the massive flat ( only flat part of site) field for the children- to hear young children crying because they could not go on their bikes and scooters was not fair.
On the plus side- the shower facilities are the best we have ever been to- we use Caravan Club sites and they are always pristine- these were huge, and clearly had facilities for campers- a hairdryer, facility to plug in hair straighteners and the biggest shower cubicles I have ever been in- with sink in the cubicle.
However the cleaners have no set time as there was only 1 block open- probably due to the fact the site was rather empty ( not surprised )- so you had to take a chance as they said they clean any time from 9-3.30 dependant when they finish cleaning the static vans on site!!!- not very good if you suddenly need to go to the toilet.
On route to the toilets- the bird muck was disgusting- there was no way you could avoid stepping in it- the staff need to hose it down, as clearly it had been there a while- the site is scruffy and unkempt.
2 swimming pools on site indoor and outdoor- immaculately clean.
Takeaway available- and plenty of choice- I think this is run independently of the site- nice food and reasonable prices - would recommended using this.
Shop on site has everything you would need- again this would be to cater for the campers- slightly more expensive than supermarket but they have to make a profit.
I would not recommend this site for families especially, as although they do say it in the small print- it is nice to hear children enjoying themselves but are restricted.
If you are used to the caravan Club Sites this is NOTTTTTT anywhere near their standard and I would not recommend anyone stay there.
I will be writing to Nick Lomas as this is an Affiliated Site- however I feel it gives a very poor portrayal, and should be taken from the brochure.
We have been to several Affiliated Sites and this is not of an acceptable standard- the staff most certainly should be dismissed- rude and dismissive- or sent on extensive training.
I am sure someone can work out who was on duty we arrived on Sat June 28th 2014.
Had it been busy perhaps this - not that it should be - possibly understood- they need to go to Southlands- and see how the staff deal with customers there- this is professional.
All in all would I recommend this site - NEVER.
I am sure I may receive a reply- and having read responses to others you can tell- they do not like to acknowledge acceptance and are defensive- again a sign they have no customer relations and are do not represent the standards guests should accept.
Save your money and go to Southlands- which is exlemporary and, and maintained to a fabulous standard, and all guests are made to feel welcome.
THIS IS A WASTE OF MONEY- NEEDS TO BE REFURBISHED- GET GROUNDS PEOPLE TO CLEAN AND MAINTAIN THE SITE- AND MOST IMPORTANTLY POLITE AND PROFFESIONAL STAFF.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Nik P
Julie G, General Manager at The Orchards Holiday Caravan and Camping Park, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Dear Nik P.

Sorry for delay in replying to your review but we have been so busy at The Park and I cannot believe how quick the time has gone.

I did telephone you a couple of times to talk through your review but unfortunately you were not at home. I did leave messages on your ansaphone for you to contact me with a suitable time to telephone but it would appear you did not get the messages, as I have not heard from you.

As you mentioned in your review you are expecting a reply, which I hope you and other reviewers will find informative.

I will start with the compliments and thank you for your comments about: -

Firstly our facilities centre, which we also feel is one of the best in the country. We work very hard to maintain a high standard of maintenance and cleanliness. The centre is checked & cleaned on a regular basis daily. One clean is usually around 1130am but sometimes on a Saturday when the cleaning team are very busy with the holiday caravan changeover the clean maybe later. Whilst the cleaning takes place shower and toilet facilities in another apart of the centre are available for guests to use.

Our Swimming pools are a great attraction and it is lovely to see families enjoying themselves and with the great weather we have had this summer they have been used a lot. The team do work hard to keep excellent standards of cleanliness and thank you for noting this.

The takeaway is another great facility on the park and is well used. The freshly battered fish and chips are great, as is all the food that Martine and her team cook. The Mr Whippy machine has been working hard to keep our guests and the team cool.

The on-site shop is well stocked with everyday goods and has a good range of wines and beers, including a range of beer brewed on the Island. Gifts galore to take home as a memory of your visit to our beautiful Island.

Now we come to the not so nice side of your review, which I hope you will accept, are being addressed not in a “defensive” manner but I do feel I have to “defend” our team and the reputation of the Orchards. You have made some not very nice comments against the team, which they are very upset about.

I can only apologise if you felt that our reception team on duty upon your arrival were not helpful and can assure you that this is not the “norm”. You will note from many of our reviews other guests have commented how friendly and helpful the team are. I am most certainly not going to dismiss the “staff” as I am very proud of all the team and witness all the time their “friendliness” and the efficient way that they communicate with our guests. Even the guests that are not always so “friendly” towards them. Our booking in procedure does not I feel take too long, we do try and give guests as much information as possible to make their holiday as trouble free as possible and we do check through the booking details as it is not unknown for guests to have changed some of their details and not informed us which could affect pitching. I.e. they have changed their tent from a 5m x 4m to a 8m x 6m, which means they may need to move pitch, as we do not like to overcrowd, as all our pitches are different sizes, and allocated to size of unit.

The Touring Park is set on a slope looking out towards amazing views but we have many flat hardstanding and grass terraced pitches. Some pitches are gently sloping and some units may require blocks. We do allocate pitches to try and meet the needs of our guests and I believe that you requested a pitch away from the play area if possible which we took into account when allocating your pitch. The pitch allocated to you is a popular pitch (the next occupants of the pitch book it for 3 weeks every year) I am sorry it did not meet your needs and I am sorry it was not possible to move you to the pitch that you would have liked.

We do have a tree that has resident pigeons that do what pigeons do and we do try and clean up as often as possible. I have asked the maintenance team to up there cleaning of the small area of path that has the bird droppings on. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I am delighted to say that we have many families return to us year after year and we now even have the children of the families who came when they were young bringing their children, which does make me feel old.

I do take offence to your comment about the standard of maintenance of the park. All the team work hard to maintain/improve standards with an ongoing maintenance programme in place and regular checks are carried out by the management team.

I am very happy for you to write to the caravan club and will await their comments as not long before your stay we had a visit from the Southern Regional Manager of the Caravan Club who was very impressed with the park and congratulated the team on the excellent standards he witnessed.

I finish with saying that I am very sorry you did not enjoy your stay at The Orchards but am delighted to say that many other guests think that we are one of the best Touring and Camping Parks they have stayed on – I know this because they very kindly take the time to tell us whilst they are staying or just check out other trip advisor reviews.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

couldn't recommend this place highly enough, spotlessly clean caravans, well equipped, 1 indoor and 1 outdoor pools, both heated, lovely grounds, fab staff and dog friendly, value for money here is unbeatable.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

All of the team were delighted to read your wonderful review. Thank you from all of us for writing such nice words.Please tell your friends about us. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

We stayed for a week and it was perfect. Every member of staff was friendly, excellent take-away and home cooked breakfasts were delicious. Well kept park and swimming pools. Had a bit of trouble finding it, because the sign was facing the opposite way from the way we came, and we drove past because it looked just like a green with bungalows round it! Overall though, will definitely go again.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We stayed here over the Easter Holidays in a static caravan. Welcome at reception was warm and we were shown to our caravan. The caravan was spotless - it felt like we were the first family to stay in it. We had some great days out, including the Needles & Osbourne House. The park is not for travellers who like to plot up and stay on site all week...more for those that like a pleasant base to go out from. We recently bought our first tent, so decided to check out the camping facilities in case we wanted to camp on a future stay. The showers, sinks etc all looked spotless. We would therefore definitely return with our tent! The children enjoyed using the swimming pool, although the communal changing area was a bit dated. I prefer individual cubicles. There is no club house or bar, but we didn't miss this at all. There is a games room that we didn't use, but looked well equipped. We hope to return next year.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Natalie N
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Decided to come to the Orchards after spending 2 nights on a camp site set back in the 1930's.
We were greeted by friendly, welcoming staff who allowed us to look around the site before we decided to stay.
Everything was clean & tidy. Lovely shower block, well stocked shop, gorgeous views etc...All what you'd expect. We were even walked down to our pitch. A good personal touch.

I only marked this as an average as I thought is was overpriced for what it was (£24.50 per night out of season without the added extras) considering other sites i've visited offered free evening entertainment, bars, free wi fi.

This is also a dog lovers environment. I'm not a dog lover i'm afraid and although most owners abided by the rules of having dogs on site, it doesn't stop some owners allowing their animals to do their business on other pitches.

Swimming pools were lovely but how you'd limit the indoor pool to 30 people at a time during high season must be a real challenge.

Overall a nice camp site to stay. Not sure if we'll be returning to the island though.

One last thing - if you're a retired caravan owner then this is the place for you!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ken M
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

We have just enjoyed an eight day camping stay at the orchards.the site was very clean & friendly,with great amenities.the takeaway was of a good standard and the shower block was superb.i would have no hesitation in recommending this site to anyone.well done Orchards this is how campsites should aspire to.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Mad716dog
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yarmouth
Cheverton Copse Holiday Park
#2 of 2 in Yarmouth
The Bugle Coaching Inn
The Bugle Coaching Inn
#1 of 6 in Yarmouth

Been to The Orchards Holiday Caravan and Camping Park? Share your experiences!