“The Orchards”

The Orchards Holiday Caravan and Camping Park
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“The Orchards”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Nice clean quiet site but a bit out of the way if you don't have transport but to be fair you could catch a bus nearby.there was a nice outdoor pool and also an indoor pool ,a good take away and eat in cafe prices very reasonable ,a decent shop for newspapers and basic provisions ,excellent showers very big with basin included .We enjoyed our stay but we did have our own transport to get around,well worth a visit to Osborne House and Carisbrook Castle .

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 107elizabethr
Julie G, Owner at The Orchards Holiday Caravan and Camping Park, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We have a bus service now. The number 7 bus stops at the park entrance hourly. It goes into Yarmouth and into Newport. You can then catch connecting buses to other parts of the island, so it is perfectly possible to travel around the island by bus. We also have excellent walking and cycling trails around the island, so this is a great place if you want to leave the car behind. See our website for more details.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Oxford
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We have just had a week in a static caravan in July with the most gorgeous weather. I had never stayed in a caravan before so was not sure what to expect but we were pleasantly surprised by it all. The caravan itself was spotlessly clean, cosy and there was everything you needed (APART from a bath mat - don't know why and £7.50 in the shop so unless you want to use one of your towels for this pack your own mat) Bed linen was spotless, cooker, fridge etc all clean and useable. The shower in our Discovery caravan was bigger than ours at home! Easy to hose down my husband and 2 kids at once if necessary!! Swimming pools - indoor and out - were clean and lovely. My 3 boys had a whale of a time. Shop had everything you would need (although we had already shopped in Waitrose after arriving on the ferry) Takeaway was actually pretty good with quite a good range of things with a chilli & curry on the menu as well as spring rolls, fish & chips and pizza. Good selection and nice they sold a container of salad too - not always an option in a takeaway. All in all we had a really fabulous stay at The Orchards. It was our first trip to the Isle of Wight and we will definitely return - and definitely stay there.

Room Tip: We overlooked the fields - I imagine those views are nicer than facing other caravans - although the...
Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank TheAJsOxford
We are so glad that your first experience of caravanning was at The Orchards and that you enjoyed it. Haven't we had lovely weather this year! I must say that your comment about a bath mat took me by suprise. We don't supply bath mats, towels, flannels etc, mainly because of the huge number that we would need to wash every week. We had a chat about this in reception and our staff said tha t they hadn't heard of any site where bath mats are supplied. We are glad that you enjoyed our facilities and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We just returned yesterday from a week's stay at this lovely little campsite. We stayed in a static caravan which was immaculately clean with stunning views across the countryside and very private, just a field of cows as our neighbours for the week. We paid extra for the Blenheim caravan which was well worth it as you get the added extra of your own decking and outside table and chairs. We had really hot, sunny weather all week so we were very glad to have this facility. Be aware that only two of the mobile homes on the site have this added luxury (although this is perhaps normal in UK to take own deckchairs? We usually holiday in France where decking and outside furniture is the norm so we would have missed outside dining.) The campsite was central to everywhere on the island, we travelled around easily by car. The site for us was perfect with a 10 year old and 7 year old - there was enough to do but it wasn't too busy or noisy. They loved the pools and also enjoyed playing pool, table tennis and babyfoot. We used the shop for essentials and it was reasonably priced. We used the take-away on two evenings and would recommend this also. This was our first visit but I can see why it has so many return visitors. We would not hesitate to recommend it very highly for a quiet, relaxed family holiday and we will certainly return in the future. It would be perfect for a low season short break as many of the caravans were double-glazed and centrally heated. We had a quick look at the facilities for touring vans/tents. Perhaps we'll bring our tents next time and try some proper camping! Thank you to the team at the Orchards Holiday Park for a wonderful holiday.

Room Tip: If you would like a caravan with decking and outdoor dining furniture, go for the Blenheim. We were...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kay B
Thank you for your wonderful review of The Orchards. We are very glad that you enjoyed the Blenheim and that the weather was good so that you could take great advantage of the outdoor facilities.It would be lovely to welcome you back, either in the Blenheim or with your tent. There is so much to see and do on the Isle of Wight, you nver get bored.
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

I'm sure that the weather helped but we have just returned from a brilliant 7 night stay in a static caravan,no cars are allowed to park next to caravans,apart to load and unload,so this makes it safe for the kids to play around the caravan.the outdoor pool was spotless and great.staff very helpful and site very clean.the caravan was spacious and spotless.will be returning as soon as possible.

• Stayed July 2014
It is really great to read that you had such a lovely holiday with us and that you will be coming back soon. We have had so much lovely weather this year. Long may it continue! See our new website for special offers.
Southampton, New York
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We spent a long weekend at The Orchards in a caravan as a last. Minute mini break and had a wonderful time. Our 5 and 2 year old boys loved the pools and play areas, we didn't use the take away but it looked and smelt lovely! the caravan was immaculate and presented nicely, it was very quiet so we were lucky to have one right by the car park and facilities. We do camp and had a walk around the tourers field one evening after dinner, and the pitches and wash facilities were fantastic! We have already pencilled in a weekend to return next year with the tent!
15 mins drive to black gang chine, also found a lovely farm shop in mottistone which sold homemade fresh gluten free quiches and pies which my husband being coeliac, was chuffed to bit to find!
We will be returning for a weekend possibly this autumn or next year for sure!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Lauza01
We were delighted to read your review and find that you all enjoyed your stay with us. We are especially pleased that you are coming back! It's great that you found gluten free quiches for your husband in Mottistone. That is certainly worth knowing about, we will pass that information onto other guests.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We arrived- well- no Hello, no welcome, no how was your journey- nothing whatsoever, and it was not busy we were the only people in Reception.
3 staff in the Reception- 1 having a go at someone on the phone- 1 staring out the window and the 1 that checked us in- well no manners whatsoever- only interested in flying through the incredibly long list of questions??? which had already been put on the booking form??- need to adopt the CC booking in system.
We were taken to an allocated pitch- albeit I had sent an updated email prior to arrival which was not acknowledged. I totally understand the need to allocate when the site is full- however it was not and when my husband made a request for a different pitch was told already allocated- however there was one adjacent and this would have suited our needs better- and had they read the email- perhaps this would have been allocated- no "oh I am sorry we can't do" just a this is your pitch- clearly to much trouble for the rude receptionist.
The pitches are in complete need of refurbishing by way of gravel- we have been touring several years now and this is the worst we have ever been on- hardly any gravel whatsoever.
People need to be mindful- you will need levelling blocks for this site.
We do not have children- however the fact that they were not even allowed foot scooters or bikes in nothing short of ridiculous- they could confine this to the massive flat ( only flat part of site) field for the children- to hear young children crying because they could not go on their bikes and scooters was not fair.
On the plus side- the shower facilities are the best we have ever been to- we use Caravan Club sites and they are always pristine- these were huge, and clearly had facilities for campers- a hairdryer, facility to plug in hair straighteners and the biggest shower cubicles I have ever been in- with sink in the cubicle.
However the cleaners have no set time as there was only 1 block open- probably due to the fact the site was rather empty ( not surprised )- so you had to take a chance as they said they clean any time from 9-3.30 dependant when they finish cleaning the static vans on site!!!- not very good if you suddenly need to go to the toilet.
On route to the toilets- the bird muck was disgusting- there was no way you could avoid stepping in it- the staff need to hose it down, as clearly it had been there a while- the site is scruffy and unkempt.
2 swimming pools on site indoor and outdoor- immaculately clean.
Takeaway available- and plenty of choice- I think this is run independently of the site- nice food and reasonable prices - would recommended using this.
Shop on site has everything you would need- again this would be to cater for the campers- slightly more expensive than supermarket but they have to make a profit.
I would not recommend this site for families especially, as although they do say it in the small print- it is nice to hear children enjoying themselves but are restricted.
If you are used to the caravan Club Sites this is NOTTTTTT anywhere near their standard and I would not recommend anyone stay there.
I will be writing to Nick Lomas as this is an Affiliated Site- however I feel it gives a very poor portrayal, and should be taken from the brochure.
We have been to several Affiliated Sites and this is not of an acceptable standard- the staff most certainly should be dismissed- rude and dismissive- or sent on extensive training.
I am sure someone can work out who was on duty we arrived on Sat June 28th 2014.
Had it been busy perhaps this - not that it should be - possibly understood- they need to go to Southlands- and see how the staff deal with customers there- this is professional.
All in all would I recommend this site - NEVER.
I am sure I may receive a reply- and having read responses to others you can tell- they do not like to acknowledge acceptance and are defensive- again a sign they have no customer relations and are do not represent the standards guests should accept.
Save your money and go to Southlands- which is exlemporary and, and maintained to a fabulous standard, and all guests are made to feel welcome.
THIS IS A WASTE OF MONEY- NEEDS TO BE REFURBISHED- GET GROUNDS PEOPLE TO CLEAN AND MAINTAIN THE SITE- AND MOST IMPORTANTLY POLITE AND PROFFESIONAL STAFF.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Nik P
Julie G, General Manager at The Orchards Holiday Caravan and Camping Park, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Dear Nik P.

Sorry for delay in replying to your review but we have been so busy at The Park and I cannot believe how quick the time has gone.

I did telephone you a couple of times to talk through your review but unfortunately you were not at home. I did leave messages on your ansaphone for you to contact me with a suitable time to telephone but it would appear you did not get the messages, as I have not heard from you.

As you mentioned in your review you are expecting a reply, which I hope you and other reviewers will find informative.

I will start with the compliments and thank you for your comments about: -

Firstly our facilities centre, which we also feel is one of the best in the country. We work very hard to maintain a high standard of maintenance and cleanliness. The centre is checked & cleaned on a regular basis daily. One clean is usually around 1130am but sometimes on a Saturday when the cleaning team are very busy with the holiday caravan changeover the clean maybe later. Whilst the cleaning takes place shower and toilet facilities in another apart of the centre are available for guests to use.

Our Swimming pools are a great attraction and it is lovely to see families enjoying themselves and with the great weather we have had this summer they have been used a lot. The team do work hard to keep excellent standards of cleanliness and thank you for noting this.

The takeaway is another great facility on the park and is well used. The freshly battered fish and chips are great, as is all the food that Martine and her team cook. The Mr Whippy machine has been working hard to keep our guests and the team cool.

The on-site shop is well stocked with everyday goods and has a good range of wines and beers, including a range of beer brewed on the Island. Gifts galore to take home as a memory of your visit to our beautiful Island.

Now we come to the not so nice side of your review, which I hope you will accept, are being addressed not in a “defensive” manner but I do feel I have to “defend” our team and the reputation of the Orchards. You have made some not very nice comments against the team, which they are very upset about.

I can only apologise if you felt that our reception team on duty upon your arrival were not helpful and can assure you that this is not the “norm”. You will note from many of our reviews other guests have commented how friendly and helpful the team are. I am most certainly not going to dismiss the “staff” as I am very proud of all the team and witness all the time their “friendliness” and the efficient way that they communicate with our guests. Even the guests that are not always so “friendly” towards them. Our booking in procedure does not I feel take too long, we do try and give guests as much information as possible to make their holiday as trouble free as possible and we do check through the booking details as it is not unknown for guests to have changed some of their details and not informed us which could affect pitching. I.e. they have changed their tent from a 5m x 4m to a 8m x 6m, which means they may need to move pitch, as we do not like to overcrowd, as all our pitches are different sizes, and allocated to size of unit.

The Touring Park is set on a slope looking out towards amazing views but we have many flat hardstanding and grass terraced pitches. Some pitches are gently sloping and some units may require blocks. We do allocate pitches to try and meet the needs of our guests and I believe that you requested a pitch away from the play area if possible which we took into account when allocating your pitch. The pitch allocated to you is a popular pitch (the next occupants of the pitch book it for 3 weeks every year) I am sorry it did not meet your needs and I am sorry it was not possible to move you to the pitch that you would have liked.

We do have a tree that has resident pigeons that do what pigeons do and we do try and clean up as often as possible. I have asked the maintenance team to up there cleaning of the small area of path that has the bird droppings on. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I am delighted to say that we have many families return to us year after year and we now even have the children of the families who came when they were young bringing their children, which does make me feel old.

I do take offence to your comment about the standard of maintenance of the park. All the team work hard to maintain/improve standards with an ongoing maintenance programme in place and regular checks are carried out by the management team.

I am very happy for you to write to the caravan club and will await their comments as not long before your stay we had a visit from the Southern Regional Manager of the Caravan Club who was very impressed with the park and congratulated the team on the excellent standards he witnessed.

I finish with saying that I am very sorry you did not enjoy your stay at The Orchards but am delighted to say that many other guests think that we are one of the best Touring and Camping Parks they have stayed on – I know this because they very kindly take the time to tell us whilst they are staying or just check out other trip advisor reviews.
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014

couldn't recommend this place highly enough, spotlessly clean caravans, well equipped, 1 indoor and 1 outdoor pools, both heated, lovely grounds, fab staff and dog friendly, value for money here is unbeatable.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
All of the team were delighted to read your wonderful review. Thank you from all of us for writing such nice words.Please tell your friends about us. We hope to see you again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yarmouth
Albion Hotel
#6 of 29 in Sandown
Royal Pier Hotel
Royal Pier Hotel
#11 of 29 in Sandown

Been to The Orchards Holiday Caravan and Camping Park? Share your experiences!