“An oasis of calm and wonderful local information”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cranbrook
Cloth Hall Oast B&B
Ranked #6 of 15 Cranbrook B&B and Inns
palo alto
“An oasis of calm and wonderful local information”
Reviewed 8 June 2010

My wife and I found this B&B recommended by Karen Brown. As always Karen's description was apt. We thoroughly enjoyed our two day stay in the king four poster in the former oast roundel. The home and gardens were spiffing and the breakfast choices extensive. Mrs. Morgan pointed us in interesting directions as we wandered among public gardens and to Ramsgate for the 70th anniversary of the Dunkirk evacuation.
We subscribe to all the comments in the last three reviews.

10 Thank PaloAltoUKTraveler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Germany
Reviewed 6 June 2010

We spent two nights at cloth hall oats third week of May 2010. It is a beautiful location with a beautiful garden. The weather was nice and the (heated) pool had just opened. We took advantage of garden and pool every morning and evening. In the Guide Michelin there is a special sign for originally and calm places: The red rocking chair. For us cloth hall oast is a location we would nominate for the red rocking chair.

Mrs. Morgan is an expert in good gardens and restaurants. That made it easy for us to identify the points of interest. The house itself is very clean. Good breakfast in a nice environment. We would always stay there again.

9 Thank GardenloverGermany
Houston, TX
Reviewed 31 May 2010

We have stayed at many B&Bs over many years and this was the most enjoyable experience of any. The accomodations are warm and welcoming (we stayed in the Four Poster), the gardens and grounds leisurely, and Katherine Morgan is the most charming and engaging hostess imaginable. The breakfast selection was wonderful - the sausages are locally made and not to be missed.

We have been to the Southeast a number of times and had visisted all the best NT and other gardens...we thought. Katherine put us on to a number of gardens and properties of which we had never heard but which are now among our favorite experiences.

If you want to have some good fun, just ask Katherine for a cup of tea in the afternoon and ask her to tell you about her travels. There are few places on the planet she has not been, she has enjoyed them all thoroughly, and she has a truly unique gift in her ability to describe her experiences and impressions.

All in all, wouldn't want to miss it for the world and hope to return someday.

10 Thank CrazyForGardens
london
Reviewed 30 May 2010

I stayed at Cloth Hall Oast B&B and had a truly wonderful experience, albeit too short!
I have to say the previous review seems very inaccurate and does not reflect my experience at the B&B at all, nor what I would expect from a B&B experience. Is a missing kettle in the bedroom really the worse a place can do!! Besides, it is worth the effort of having your tea served in the breakfast room as it's well equipped with lovely traditional family owned silverware adding to the English b&b experience.
Katherine who owns and runs this property, can't see to do enough to ensure her guests stay is perfect. I was in the area for a friends wedding, to which she assisted me with taxi contacts, I used one her contacts who was very friendly, a safe driver and most importantly reliable - especially when pre-ordering a 1am pick up in a 'hard to find' farm! ps.anyone planning a wedding in the area, should definitely check out Brickhouse Farm.
As for breakfast, I thoroughly enjoyed the spread. I had a fried egg with grilled mushrooms and tomato, a very tasty and healthy version of an english breakfast, I opted out of any meat for breakfast. If you are hungry, you won't be short of a range of additions to your first meal of the day, some of the things on offer were fresh coffee, numerous spreads including lemon curd and some of the more non traditional quality fruit jam varieties, juice, toast, yogurts (including fat free options), a selection of cereals it looked like about 8 types!!!) and I'm sure I've forgotten other things that might have been on offer!
Again I'm conscious of the previous review, so would like to add that the shower was perfect, a great pressured shower! Loads of towels, tissues, toilet paper, etc... and a door! Personally at a traditional B&B I like to bring my own favourite toiletries but it seemed to be sufficiently supplied if needed. I tend to avoid using establishments toiletries unless its renowned for a special spa range like Aveda, Cowshed etc.. as they generally aren't better than my own range or anything to get excited about. Again not something I expect from a traditional B&B.
So if you want a lovely B&B experience, stop looking a book yourself into Cloth Oast Hall B&B as you're in for a very warm and memorable stay.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
9 Thank fremmie
Ditchling, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2010

We stayed at Cloth Hall oast for two nights, looking forward to deluxe bed-and-breakfast accommodation. The property is well maintained and located in attractive countryside with an excellent, Michelin starred restaurant (Apicius) a 15 minute walk away. We were lucky in that our landlady was able to secure is reservation and I cannot recommend it highly enough of it was exceptional value and quite delicious.

We were disappointed with some aspects of the accommodation, for example there was no kettle in the room nor tea making facilities. Although on both afternoons the landlady did make tea it took away the flexibility and convenience that is normally found in English hotel and B&B accommodation. On the first night there was an electric blanket provided which was draped on the top of the bed and needed to be unplugged from the wall before settling down to sleep. This disappeared the following day for unexplained reasons.

The fittings of the bathroom were excellent although the water pressure was poor, although the landlady did explain that this was a temporary problem was due to be fixed. I had to problems with the bathroom, the major one was the lack of a door between the bathroom and bedroom. Although the design meant that he could not be seen from the bedroom there was certainly nothing to control noise or odour from emanating from the bathroom into the bedroom. There was a space that would have fitted a door perfectly and it seemed a bizarre choice particularly in a very traditionally furnished room not to fit on. I found the experience very uncomfortable. Complimentary toiletries were provided however these were all examples of other hotels' toiletries that had been acquired various times. I would much prefer to see a couple of large bottles of shampoo etc rather than various hotel toiletries.

The landlady informed me that she had recently given up cooking dinners and concentrated only on breakfasts. To be fair to her she has been in the business for 30 years or more, but the breakfast served was very average. On the first morning I requested scrambled eggs but was informed that Aga eggs were being served and given the distinct impression my request was inconvenient. On the second morning, having enjoyed the Aga eggs I would have liked them again but was informed that scrambled eggs were being served. It is worth noting there were only four people staying. The rest of the breakfast was decidedly average.

Overall nothing apart from the toilets was truly terrible, but the whole experience was very average. I did not feel that the price of £120 per room per night accurately reflected what was provided. I would say this was good value for money at about half the price. I would not stay there again. This property is listed in the good hotels guide, the Sawdays guide and Britainsfinest.co.uk And I was surprised about the standard.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
13 Thank nji1000
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cranbrook
Star & Eagle Hotel
London Beach Country Hotel & Spa
Flackley Ash Hotel and Restaurant
Little Silver Country Hotel
Dale Hill Hotel and Golf Club

Been to Cloth Hall Oast B&B? Share your experiences!