“Interesting hotel”
Review of The George Hotel

The George Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cranbrook
Reviewed 19 October 2013

The hotel is very interesting with a period feel and plenty of character. Our room on the second floor up steep stairs was rather disappointing as windows and decor were in desperate need of refurbishment. The bathroom did not have any ventilation so the windows were full of condensation and mould. The bathroom window did not have opaque glass so the blind had to be pulled down in order that we could not been seen from the offices across the road. The room was stocked with complimentary tea, coffee and chocolate drinks and two bottles of water. The TV was fine and the free wifi very useful.

The restaurant at the hotel we found served very good food with friendly staff although this was a little expensive.

The town of Cranbrook is very pleasant with the Union Windmill as a focal point.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 September 2013

Travelling solo, I stayed at the George after flying in to Heathrow from San Francisco and driving to Cranbrook. I wanted a base to visit gardens/historic houses in the region and the George fitted this criteria. After pulling up out front and having difficulty finding the parking area, I telephoned the hotel. The staff were very helpful and understanding as I attempted to navigate the very narrow archway entrance into the parking area - even standing in the middle of the road to stop the traffic as I reversed out after discovering there was no space! Alternate parking was located about 70 metres up the road. The room was cosy and comfortable and very English. As I was travelling alone, I felt very comfortable having a meal in the bar downstairs. Breakfast was delicious and generous and Sissinghurst Gardens is literally 10 minutes up the road. Don't miss Hole Park - a private house and garden about 30 minutes drive from Cranbrook well worth visiting! Staff at check in/check out were very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Apparently there is live music some weekend nights - this is apparently a problem for some guests...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank GoldCoastTakingOff
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Cranbrook is a pleasant little village and the George is right in the middle on the main street, very easy to find. An historic building, with stairs and corridors leading to a number of very different rooms. I chose a superior room, it was at the back of the building and very quiet. The room was fairly big and well-equipped. Breakfast was very good, cooked to order. My only problem was that my reservation had somehow been incorrectly entered, so that no-one actually serviced my room during my stay! Reception apologised for this when I checked out.

Room Tip: £10 extra per night for a superior room seemed like good value to me.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 August 2013

In march we booked into the delightful crimson room for a special occasion.
Having spent the day in the pouring rain at go ape, we were given a very warm welcome, and shown to an impressive room.
The gentleman on reception, then knocked at the door and provided us with food menus, informing us that room service was not running at that time of day, but if we would like any food, he would be back in 10 minutes to take our order down for us, and bring it back to our room, initiative that was much appreciated by a very cold and hungry couple.
The bathroom and room was amazing, with great facilities and an abundance of fluffy towels.
upon going down stairs for a walk, the same gentleman offered us a wealth of local knowledge, and updated us on any hotel info. He apologised in the delay for this, but stated owing to us being rather windswept, said he thought it best to let us settle in (and to be honest we were a bit of a state) Small gems of service like this are a rarity these days.
We then ate in the restaurant, which was amazing from the wine to the dessert. The rugby was on in the bar at the time, so noise was a little more than I was happy with, but the hotel manager quickly resolved this
A restful night’s sleep was followed a very enjoyable breakfast, with plenty of choice and good quality.
The only thing out of place in the whole trip was that my egg yolks were not runny as requested. But I can very much live with that and look forward to returning.
My biggest gripe these days is poor customer service, and the staff her are so wonderful and informative its verging on a bye gone era.

Room Tip: splurge on the crimson room, very much worth it
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 August 2013

I live locally to The George Hotel however have never eaten there, I wish I had come sooner. The food was fantastic! The menu had a lot of choice and offered an interesting and out of the ordinary dining experience. You won't find the usual steak and hand cut chips on this menu which is so refreshing.

On arrival the bar and seating areas are well presented, they give a cosy yet sophisticated feel.

Unfortunately the waitressing staff really let The George down. Most don't seem to know what’s going on and where they are! The presentation of the waitresses was poor, for an establishment with a uniform you shouldn't be able to go too wrong however they appeared messy.

Bar Staff however were a little better, all presented really well however had some confusion with charging drinks … a small matter which was rectified however done so by shouting from one side of the bar to the other – a little uncomfortable!

The Restaurant Manager was ridiculous he didn’t seem to look after anybody in the restaurant and quite frankly appeared awkward and inexperienced.

Lastly it's not ideal for the staff to be setting up for breakfast when guests are still enjoying their evening meal! Disappointingly the staff just seemed to want to get everything over and done with.

Despite the staff The George really is worth a visit just for the food! You won’t be disappointed there.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 August 2013

The hotel is located in a fantastic location for any tourist visiting the area. You have easy access to Tunbridge Wells, Hasting or even Maidstone if you wanted. Sites closer to the hotel you have Goudhurst, Sissinghurst and Tenterden. Excellent service throughout the hotel.
The bedrooms are very clean and I can recommend this lovely small hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: The Mandarin room was great value for the price we paid
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lisa S
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Stayed for a few nights and could not fault it. Strongly recommend The George Hotel to anyone. From the warm welcome on arrival to the great breakfast on the day of departure. We managed to have dinner in the restaurant and the service and food was very good. We felt like home and will be back

• Stayed: August 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cranbrook
Star & Eagle Hotel
Weald of Kent Golf Course & Hotel
Hotel du Vin & Bistro
Hotel du Vin & Bistro
#3 of 14 in Royal Tunbridge Wells

Been to The George Hotel? Share your experiences!