“Lovely place to stay”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cranbrook
Petersfield, United Kingdom
“Lovely place to stay”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We had such a good stay at The George. We had been camping for a few days and were looking for some luxury at the end of sleeping in the car. Cranbrook is a nice town/village in the Weald of Kent with its church described as the cathedral of the weald.
Anyway, we got to stay in the Crimson Room complete with Elizabethan four poster. Yes it looks over the street but that is not an issue after bedtime and nice to see life happening in a Kent town otherwise.
Everyone we dealt with were very friendly and professional, thoughtful and very kind ( not least to out dog, limping around with a bad paw and that means yes, dogs welcome.)
I had read that the food was mediocre but (maybe because there is a new chef) we ate very well.Not wanting to centre out again in the car, we had lunch, supper and breakfast in the hotel. Lunch was lovely - can recommend Welsh Rarebit and BLT. Supper was fine except part of mine got left behind and had to be reminded to be brought out of the kitchen - just one of those things. Breakfast fine.
So none of the delays reported by other visitors, great crew of staff, excellent room with added history, yes there were a range of people in the bar but that was a bonus.

Room Tip: Go for a feature room - we only saw the Crimson Room but it was lovely. You do have the street noise...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

My partner and I were looking forward to a weekend away in the Kent countryside and had been recommended to stay at the George at Cranbrook. We can honestly say that it's the worst hotel we've ever stayed in both in the UK and abroad. We arrived in the afternoon and managed to squeeze the car into what is a very tiny car park at the side. The manager did not give us a very warm welcome. He was answering several calls at the reception and trying to take payment at the same time. We had thought payment should be made on departure as depicted in the automated email from the hotel. Instead payment was taken on arrival which was not explained to us as he was trying to do two or three things at the same time.

The Azure room, No. 7 was terrible. It felt grubby, although bed linen was clean. The room was dingy, bathroom tiles round the shower need resealing as black gunge was apparent. Also lighting was poor in the bathroom and bedroom. It was a dangerous set up, or would be for elderly people as the bathroom is two steps up from the bedroom. We had to leave a light on all night for safety reasons. Paintwork on the window was dreadful and windows looked as though they needed a clean. In fact, the bedroom and whole hotel needed refurbishing. I think they need the hotel inspector in. Considering how awful the room and facilities were, £135 is way over-priced,

Whole hotel looked as though it needed a clean. There were cobwebs in the chairs on the terrace bar (outside) area and tables needed a wipe over.

We decided not to eat at the hotel after several conversations with people up the high street. We were glad to get out to a lovely pub/restaurant called the Great House at Hawkhurst. On arrival back at the hotel, loud live awful music was playing in the bar. We'd been told by the manager that the music would stop at 10.15pm but it went on until 11.15pm. Our room was directly over the bar so we couldn't have got any sleep if we wanted to. As we'd driven out for the evening to get a DECENT meal elsewhere we lost our space in the pokey car park and were told that we'd have to park right up the road at a free car park in the town. This is not ideal leaving a car out of sight overnight.

We didn't get to sleep until about 3am which spoilt our visit to Sissinghurst that day as we were so tired. There were noisy people out in the street until the early hours.

During the evening we were frantically trying to ring round other B&Bs in the area as we would have honestly considered moving to another place if there was availability. We decided to stick it out as we'd paid out this amount. Breakfast was ok the next morning. We departed with the manager not even asking if we'd enjoyed our stay or if everything had been ok. So much for service, NOT!

Overall an awful experience, not to be repeated. We very rarely complain about hotels or restaurants. Will be calling the brewery chain in the morning.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Shirley B
Cranbrook, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

Cranbrook is a wonderful old small market town, and from the outside this old historic hotel is perfect and the answer to a night's stay in the middle of the town. But it is spoilt by the pub customers, who are a mixture of noisy young or scruffy older. Not the place to take the family or business to stay overnight as it can be very loud at night, it would be great if this would be turn this into the hotel Cranbrook needs. Better to stay in some of the wonderful B&B's around Cranbrook, or find a hotel nearby.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank myscimitar
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I stayed here for one night with my daughters and we were given room 7, Azur room. We were disappointed with the room as it looked nothing like the standard of rooms that are in the brochure. It was dusty and the bath had black mold between some of the tiles. There were also a couple of stray hairs in the bath. The room cost £135 bed and breakfast so at least it could have been more than superficially clean. At least the bedding was in a better condition. On a brighter note, the staff on arrival were friendly, as were the girls in the restaurant.
Now for the worst bit........ Our room was right over the bar and it was really noisy until closing time. We tried to go to sleep at around 9ish, but this was just not possible.
The breakfast the next day was good, and again, the girl serving was lovely. However, on check out (I think this was the manager), the man on reception couldn't even be bothered to ask me how my stay was. I had a taxi waiting to take me to an appointment, otherwise I would have taken the time to give him some constructive feedback. He was obviously not bothered about how my stay had gone. If the manager reads this, please feel free to contact me as I will give you more information.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the bar. Request one of the rooms in the brochure
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank CBPM070
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Booked into this hotel at short notice for Tuesday 27th May, on arrival the staff were friendly and the hotel had a nice feel, it is old and full of character.

The room was nice enough, the bed was comfortable and despite the bars downstairs being busy, my room was quiet

The shower in room seven could do with a decent shower head as there was little more than a strong trickle, pressure from the taps was good but the shower head was poor

Breakfast - nightmare

I asked when I checked in what time the breakfast started, 7:30am was the answer, so I was down and ready to go at 7:25am, the first one in

I sat and patiently waited, it took @ 15 mins to even get a pot of tea and I had to ask someone to take my breakfast order, to be fair they were busy by now, there were four of us in the dining room !!!!!

At 7:55am, so 3o mins after arriving into breakfast I still had no breakfast and I had to leave before it came as I had an early morning meeting to attend

I went back up to my room and got my stuff together and when I was checking out the young lady asked me if I wanted my breakfast now !!!!

It wasn't their fault that I had a very long and busy day to come and breakfast was the only opportunity I would get to eat till very much later in the day, but it was by far the poorest showing for breakfast in a hotel for a very long time

They need to sort this out especially for business customers !!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We stayed in the Crimson Room, amazing bed from the 1500's, belongs in a muesum but I am not complaining. The room was clean and very high end amenities provided. The staff provided everything we needed and were very accomodating to the entire wedding party. There is a nice patio out back, and parking on site, this pub is literally the center of town. Food was ok, it was late so I am sure it was not the freshest, so no worries, I have had better and worse in the UK, this was middle of the road. Drinks were good, plenty of local ale's and good scotch and whiskey selection. The manager was a great guy, fun to talk to, stayed up late for us and was back for an early breakfast (again ok food), he was very kind to the entire group, and the hotel did a great job. Dont get the lavender room, unless you are 4ft tall the bathroom door was made for height challenged individuals, get the crimson.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the original rooms not one of the "newer rooms" a lot more character and ch...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Grant1234
Tonbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I found my stay to be very pleasant, the staff where very welcoming and friendly. The food was great with a good selection on all menus, I would highly recommend staying at this hotel, great value for the money

• Stayed April 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cranbrook
Star & Eagle Hotel
T & J Motel
#1 of 1 in Flimwell
Dale Hill Hotel and Golf Club
Weald of Kent Golf Course & Hotel

Been to The George Hotel? Share your experiences!