“Perfect place to get away”

The Welsh Hills Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Granville B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
North Canton, Ohio
“Perfect place to get away”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2011

My sister and I stayed at The Welsh Hills Inn in Granville on a recent "Sisters" trip and were just so impressed with everything. From Jeff getting our bags right out of the car, to the wine and cheese reception and cookies and strawberries after dinner to the delicious breakfast. Everything was wonderful. The owners have an amazing art collection which they are only too happy to show and talk about. The property is very picturesque, complete with a family of ducks and a pool and pool house just waiting to be enjoyed. The town of Granville offers many historic homes and cute gift shops. A must is Whit's ice cream. A perfect break in a day of shopping and touring the town.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank SBNorthCanton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Keswick, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2011

The inn is simply lovely - beautifully appointed with a stunning art collection. Breakfasts served either in the sunny morning nook, or in the larger tall-ceilinged dining room, were also works of art - both to the eye and the palate. A special pleasure were the rich conversations with the hosts and other guests each evening which were accompanied by excellent glasses of wine. For maximum privacy choose either the Bedwen Bach room or the Colomen Gwen Room, both in the Cottage wing. For a feeling of being more "of the home", the Derwen Del room with its at-the-top of the stairs reading area is perfect. This will be our staying-place in Granville from now on as we visit our daughter at Denison.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Shenmont
Avon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2011

My daughter is a student at Denison University and the Welch Hills Inn is a perfect location--being located just minutes from the University and the center of town. Bobbi and Jeff are so warm and welcoming and are amazing in the kitchen. The breakfasts that they served were second to none. The Inn was immaculate and the art throughout was spectacular. I have already made my reservation to stay at the Inn in May.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank AvonRunner
Heath, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2011

This inn was just minute away from great restaurants and entertainment, yet we felt it was also very private and secluded. This was the perfect place to spend our 10th anniversary. Thanks Jeff and Bobbi

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank laurathequeen
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2011

I have taken advantage of the trip advisor forums for years, but have not written a review until now. I am so glad that I went with my gut feeling and booked Welsh Hills B and B for our stay in Granville. A beautiful property with a lovely home and very welcoming home owners.

My family, 2 teens, stayed for one night, as we were doing a college visit at Denison. The room set up for a family was great. The rooms are immaculate and large with flat screens. We had a 2nd floor private "wing" with a king room and a queen room across the hall(Bobbi set up a 2nd bed in the queen room). Each room had it's own granite sink area, and in the middle was the shared bath and toilet area. I think there is another room somewhere else in the house with a private bath.

The common area was so pretty, with the fireplace on, and the views of the hills. Bobbi offered us wine/drinks and cookies when we arrived and the breakfast was yummy and enjoyed in the sun room. I know the kids would have loved to go swimming, but it was a little early in the season. Bobbi also offered that we use the pool house to hang out. It had a large flat screen. My husband and son enjoyed that space as well. Well, there it is, my first review. If my daughter ends up at Denison, we WILL be back.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank tqluvtotrvl
islandjeffrey, Owner at The Welsh Hills Inn, responded to this review, 13 April 2011
It was great having you all stay with us this past week at the Inn. It was a pleasure. Best of luck to your daughter in her college selection process - it sounds like she has some excellent choices that she's looking at. Denison is a wonderful university and Granville is just a terrific community to enjoy that college experience. We hope to see you and your family back as proud "Big Red" parents!
Middletown, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2011

I just returned home, but I am already looking forward to our next visit. We celebrated my birthday there this past weekend, and it was an amazing time. We wanted to go somewhere that was relatively close but still felt like a proper getaway. Although a few hours away from home, we felt like we were worlds away.

We drove on a late Friday afternoon, and the scenery around Granville is beautiful. There had been some snow that week, so the fields, trees, and homes were covered with a white blanket. It felt so peaceful as we made our way up the driveway, past the paddock and up to their gorgeous home on top of the hill. We were impressed before we stepped inside the house.

The beauty of the outside of the home is matched by the beauty inside the home. Every room is filled with original artwork and collectibles. I found myself admiring paintings on every wall. But none of it is overwhelming. There's just the right amount of balance to allow your eyes to wander and discover something new in each room but not feel as though the place is cluttered. The home is clearly lovingly decorated.

The innkeepers, Bobbie and Jeff Noe, are fantastic hosts. What impresses me is the attention to detail and the little things they did to make our visit more pleasant - ice water waiting for us in our rooms each evening was most welcome. And unlike a hotel, if you used the water, you weren't charged 5 dollars :) (I just love it when hotels have Aquafina in the rooms for you, don't you? Argh!)

The wine and cheese each evening was a special treat. I've had wines from Penfolds, so I was glad to see some familiar choices with the Koonunga Hill. I was also happy to discover the True Grit, which Jeff said was a favorite of his. I don't think he chose it because I'm an English professor, but who knows!

I also appreciated their concern for my allergies - my husband had let them know about my down allergies as well as my food allergies. I never had to worry. I'm always concerned when I travel about this, so it was nice to be able to relax and enjoy my visit without the worry of "Will this send me to the hospital?"

The breakfasts were delicious and filling. The fruit and yogurt was yummy; I'm not usually a plain yogurt fan, but I really loved what they served. Each morning we had a different main course, but the true treat was that they made chocolate chip and coconut pancakes for my birthday. My husband had mentioned it when we first arrived - that he made them for me - so they decided to give it a try. Yum! In fact, they were even better, because they were served with fresh raspberries and cream.

Our hosts recommended some great places to visit and shared with us some good choices for dinner. We loved Nona in Granville as well as the Chop House in Newark, where we saw John Hiatt and Lyle Lovett play at the Midland Theatre. We shopped at the Grand View Mercantile, where we found two sets of amazing glasses and the really big find: a red leather chair and ottoman. The chair and ottoman are Reid Leather, and retail for about 3k total. We bought them for such a bargain I'm ashamed to mention it here.

At night, we sat in the pool house, with its fireplace and flat screen tv, where we enjoyed our wine, cheese, and the company of the family dog. I felt a bit guilty leaving our dogs at home, so it was nice to have some canine companionship.

Everything about the visit was perfect. I highly recommend this place. I think I blathered enough about it. Time to get back to grading papers!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank MarianneCNJ
We're looking forward to you both returning soon for another getaway visit as the weather warms-up! The pool officially opened-up yesterday - just because we're overly anxious for Spring to get here and stay and we'd rather be looking at the relaxing water on nice, sunny days than the cover!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Granville
The Granville Inn
#3 of 3 in Newark
Courtyard Newark Granville
Holiday Inn Express Newark-Heath
Hampton Inn Heath-Newark

Been to The Welsh Hills Inn? Share your experiences!