“Charming hotel in one of Kent's best coastal resorts” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Dunkerley's Restaurant and Hotel

Dunkerley's Restaurant and Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Deal
Twyford, United Kingdom
“Charming hotel in one of Kent's best coastal resorts”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2014

I stayed at Dunkerleys for 2 nights, arriving very late (12.30am) on Friday night but was met by a pleasant and helpful owner who was keen to make sure we had all the provisions we needed. Parking is nearby and no real bother - just need to feed the meter from time to time. The cheery chirpy chappy who served in the restaurant and showed us to our room was retiring that weekend - he made such an impact that I hope Dunkerleys can replace him with someone with equal charm and humour bug it will be a big challenge. Breakfast was fabulous - I don't often get up for brekky if there's a chance for a lie in but it was well worth it. The mushrooms were the best I've tasted. Just a shame that the 'vegetarian' breakfast was just the normal breakfast with the meat content removed - a veggie sausage would have been perfect. Deal is charming - much nicer than the other villages we visited such as Sandwich, Ramsgate, Margate - nice shops and friendly people. And the true gem is the Kings Head pub a few doors down. Great atmosphere, great food, lovely wine list - and a landlord who goes out of his way to make everyone welcome, not just his regulars. Try them both! I'll definitely go back.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 8, bosuns room - huge and very comfortable bed. Spacious and clean room. Very quie...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

We have been to Dunkerley's several times in the last few years. Each time we are impressed with the facilities, the location, and the staff. We are starting to feel like family! My husband loves the pork sausages and mash and as a vegetarian I am also well catered for. Our room (Room 2, Channel Suite) is gorgeous and has been recently re-done with updated bedding and bathrooms. They have kept the much-loved window seat in which I love to sit and watch the ocean and the rest of the world go by. Would highly recommend this lovely place.

Room Tip: Pay a little more but get a room at the front, overlooking the Channel. Not sure how noisy it would...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Peggy H
Whitstable, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

My wife planned this 'surprise winter break' so that we could relax and be spoilt after an extremely hectic three weeks travelling round the UK celebrating Christmas with different members of our wonderful but extremely widespread family, From the moment we arrived both the Hotel and the Restaurant exceeded our expectations. Every member of staff was attentive and helpful without being intrusive. Our bedroom was an absolute joy, with fabulous views of the pier and seafront. We enjoyed two beautifully prepared and served breakfasts and one outstanding evening meal in the restaurant and could not fault either the food or the service. I am sure that one of us will want to 'surprise' the other with a 'return visit' sooner rather than later.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David_Harwood
Kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

Fantastic Hotel, bar and restaurant. Nothing we could fault. We loved our stay so much we can't wait to go back! Food was out of this world. Staff all so friendly and helpful. Very clean Hotel. Sitting in the bar by the fire with our drinks was one of the highlights of our weekend. Such a nice atmosphere. Very romantic.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Holla90
cornwall
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

my wife and I stayed at Dunkley's from 6th to 9th December for a long weekend while attending a friends party in Deal. the hotel was comfortable and welcoming. excellent breakfast and nice bar area. the hotel is right on the sea front and is within walking distance of the town, bars and restaurants. if your driving parking can be a little difficult as there is no hotel parking area and you have to leave your car in one of the public car parks unattended. we did have a couple of issues such as a bathroom door which didn't close and air conditioning unit that was intermittent working at best or not working at all but nothing that affected our stay enough to complain. Deal is a quant seaside town with a nice maritime history for anyone who is interested in such things. We enjoyed our stay and could recommend a visit.

Room Tip: ask for a sea view.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank kernewek31
Rochester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013

Sitting at home in front of the tv last night and my partner called me to say that he was at Dunkerleys and did I want to join him for a last minute night away. I was bathed, packed and on the road within 15 minutes!! The roads were clear, so I made good time arriving. A beautifully lit christmas tree was twinkling on the front seating area and Dunkerleys was aglow with fairy lights and very tasteful decorations. The fire was ablaze in the bar and a glass of wine ready and waiting for me. Mr D welcomed me with warmth and affection. He gave me a key to the room we were staying in - how overjoyed was I when I turned the light on in room 3. Beautifully dressed windows overlooking the sea and pier with twinkling fairy lights just beneath the windows. A beautifully trimmed 4-poster bed and two oversized armchairs also greeted me. The bathroom presented me with a spa bath and overhead shower - what more could a girl ask for? I returned to the bar to enjoy the wonderful wine, company and atmosphere. Mark had already looked at the delights on the menu and ordered for us both. When our table was ready, we taken through the restaurant where we were seeting at window table - which gave us the opportunity to enjoy the magical views. Our meal was amazing - we were truly spoilt! Leak & Potato Soup, Oysters, Sorbet, Lobster Thermidore (my personal favourite) and Scallops for dessert (Mark's absolute favourite). We had the perfect wine to accompany the meal and the service was first class. We were not rushed and allowed to enjoy the delights placed before us at our own pace. We returned to the bar to finish our drinks. Please, please put this place on your list to visit - you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jane C
Loughton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

£70 for a double room with breakfast on a Saturday night. Warm clean room, shower misbehaved a bit but dont most! Nice breakfast and the teapot didn't leak all over the place. Will definitely book here again.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Deal
The Royal Hotel
#5 of 5 in Deal
Sands Hotel
Sands Hotel
#1 of 12 in Margate

Been to Dunkerley's Restaurant and Hotel? Share your experiences!