“Nice place by the beach.”
Review of The Port Arms

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Deal
The Port Arms
Ranked #12 of 13 Deal B&B and Inns
“Nice place by the beach.”
Reviewed 7 January 2013 via mobile

Got there a little earlier than expected and the place had quite a few people in but was soon booked in. The lady showed me to the double room at the front which had beautiful views. Both the bedroom and bathroom were immaculate. Bed was comfy and I had a really good sleep despite the karaoke which I was warned about prior to booking.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Langridge1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Reviewed 21 November 2012 via mobile

Great room, clean, nice soft towels, plenty of tea, coffee, biscuits, nuts etc, free view on the tv and a beautiful view from the window!
Dinner was excellent, good service, nice atmosphere, plenty to choose from and it all looked great as it was coming out of the kitchen, I had chicken fajita wraps and my partner had mussels both were amazing!
Breakfast was just as good overlooking the beautiful sea we could see France! Cereals and juices were supplied along with a full English!
Overall a very pleasant stay and we would defiantly return :)

• Stayed September 2012
N10 3AG
Reviewed 6 August 2012

We have two spaniels and needed a dog friendly place at short notice. Was slightly concerned to read some of the older reviews, however, no problem - a generous sized room with sea view and very comfortable and clean bed. On booking we were immediately advised about the kareoke night but it wasnt a problem for us as we knew in advance we wouldnt return to our room until after midnight . The room has clearly been refurbished since the photos on TA were taken. Good quality towels and plenty of tea,coffee biscuits etc in room. Only gripe would be the crockery in the room, oversized chunky mugs which we found unpleasant to drink from. The staff and landlady were both helpful - offered to help unload bags from the carpark across the road - and helpful. The breakfast was good value, although perhaps a 'self-service breakfast bar with fruit juice/fruit /yogurts etc would improve the initial waiting time between ordering and receiving the traditional cooked breakfast - which was good quality food altho grilled tomato preferable to tinned. We would definately stay here again and recommend it to dog owners - a good local pub room with friendly atmosphere.

Room Tip: Good sea view from rooms and handy for early morning walk on beach. Breakfast served between 9.00 a...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Leicester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I booked and paid £80.00 deposit in November 2011 for two rooms for Thursday 5th July. I rang them a week before to confirm that everything was O.K. and was told yes my 2 rooms were still booked. On arrival I was told that the rooms were double booked with no one there to explain why the situation had changed. I was booked in to another B and B by them just around the corner but I was very disapointed with this. My firststay there was very comfortable but after this I won't be returning there again.

Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Irene B

Travellers are raving about these Deal hotels

Dover, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2012

We had a thoroughly enjoyable stay at the Port Arms...Highly recommended. Nikki and her staff welcomed us whole heartedly into the fun and thriving atmosphere there over the Easter weekend. Lovely view to sea from the room, super full english breakfast and personable hospitality far and beyond what you may expect. Couldn't recommend highly enough. Thanks to Nikki and her staff. Look forward to our next time!

Room Tip: Room 2 has a very good view to sea front and pier through a lovely large bay window.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2011

Because of unbearable noise, overpricing, and the ugly attitude of the new landlady, we *strongly* advise others to go elsewhere.
When we booked, we weren't told that the pub held karaoke and live music. The room shook with the noise until after midnight. It wasn't ordinary pub noise, because the building is old and even the banging of doors made the room shiver. It was impossible to talk, let alone sleep. We approached Nikki the new landlady the following morning, asking politely for a reduction to what we had been charged, believing we had not been given a fair deal. In fact, we asked to be charged the price that was being advertised on the board outside. Nikki wasn't at all concerned that we had been mis-sold a room or that it detracted a great deal from our holiday. She was very unpleasant, saying many silly things such as "you should have asked if you were worried about noise", "you should have complained last night" and "what others charge for rooms around here is none of my business". She also said a great deal that--at least to us--appeared to be plain lies: the chalkboard outside was apparently advertising a price from the last landlord (at least 9 months ago!); we apparently already had a reduction because her staff had made a mistake in only charging us what they had (really?); we were lucky they hadn't gone on to 1.30am as they usually do (that's not what the other staff said). In short, she seemed to say anything and everything to deflect the issue. She didn't give a damn about anything about us except taking our money. The noise was bad enough, but not to even receive an apology the next day from the landlady was awful. What makes a good B&B is staff that really care about making your stay comfortable and you don't get that at the Port Arms. They are just trying to squeeze as much money as they can, from rooms that it's not possible to sleep in! They should be honest and realistic about what they are selling. We left and went to the Malvern. For the same cost, we lost the noise and instead got a splendid breakfast.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
11 Thank smalltraveller11
Portadown, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2011

Firstly, I have to say this is possibly one of the loveliest rooms I've stayed in. The bed was really comfortable, ample pillows were provided. Room was very spacious, en suite was nice. The view was AMAZING! You cannot get any closer to the beach than this place.

I stayed in the Port Arms for over a week as I was in Deal for work. I did have some problems with the service. About 50% of the days I was there my room was not cleaned. This would not bother me if it was only the odd day, but towards the end of my stay no one came to freshen my room for 4 days in a row!! This was 4 days without clean towels, without getting more tea bags or milk, and without getting my rubbish collected.

Every morning for breakfast I had tea and toast. Again towards the end of my stay the manager made my breakfast before I came downstairs...so I was greeted with stewed, luke warm tea and cold, hard toast that had been sitting there for ages.

On the very last morning I tried to get into the pub (where breakfast is served) at my normal time but the door was locked, and no staff were in the B+B at all. I waited around until 8.45am hoping someone would turn up to serve breakfast but they did not. In the end I had to leave without breakfast and without checking out properly as if I had waited any longer for a staff member to get there I would have been late for work.

It is very obvious that the pub is the main focus in this business and the B&B comes second. If you are staying here for 1 or 2 nights, you'll have a lovely comfortable room and hopefully won't have many problems. If you are planning to stay here any longer than this, be prepared to feel neglected.

Room Tip: Only 2 rooms. Ask for the front room - great view.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business