“Tasty enough, but a little slow”
Review of The Hare & Hounds

The Hare & Hounds
Ranked #59 of 110 Restaurants in Deal
Price range: US$9 - US$32
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Nestled in the heart of the Kent countryside, The recently refurbished Hare and Hounds, Northbourne offers an exciting locally sourced menu, an excellent international wine list and expertly kept real ales.Built in 1628, the Hare & Hounds is situated in a small village between Dover, Deal, Sandwich & Canterbury. Northbourne is the Home of Lord Northbourne and family to whom the Queen mother was a regular visitor. All of our food is carefully prepared from fresh locally sourced ingredients in our new kitchen. Our chefs make every dish from scratch, and nothing is bought in pre-made or prepared: no shortcuts, and no compromises. Children’s portions of all meals are available at a reduced cost. Please ask for more information.
Ramsgate, United Kingdom
“Tasty enough, but a little slow”
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We went for Sunday lunch, and the roast meats were delicious, the veg were average, and the puddings were brilliant!

The service was a little slow, but there were only two people serving and I think they had been caught out by sudden good weather, and being in a lovely rural location walkers had dropped in for a drink.

The children's play area was good, but not visible from inside and access was via a road.

Would definitely not rule out going again.

• Visited March 2014

Hull
“Return Visit Equally As Good”
Reviewed 6 January 2014

After giving this place an excellent revue at the beginning of the year I called in again over Xmas on a trip south with the family. Even with a 9 and 6 year old in tow the service and food was still excellent - particularly a homemade pie which was the equal of any I have sampled elsewhere. We didn't benefit from one of the themed nights this time so the cost was a little higher but still very good value money. One of the waitresses did mention the possibility of a themed "Pie Evening" this year which would definitely be one to watch out for. I would not generally revue a place twice unless standards had significantly changed but I did notice a "terrible" posting on the site which did seem very unfair and uncharacteristic given my own experiences. I certainly wouldn't be put off.

• Visited December 2013
Dover, United Kingdom
“Excellent again”
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I've become a regular at the Hare & Hounds after several fantastic meals.

The atmosphere of the pub is really lovely and the food is spot on. I've tried a number of things on the menu over my visits and the food is continuously brilliant, and doesn't taste like it's come out of the microwave like other pub food. I visited again 3rd January and had another delicious meal with excellent service.

Would definitely recommend, especially the burgers!

• Visited January 2014
exeter
“Please avoid”
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We went with parents and children on 28th December & things felt bad as soon as we arrived - ignored for quite a while. Then the beer was off - the excuse being the person responsible had a cold!!! The food - between us we had pork, fish, chicken - was all badly or overcooked, with spices seemingly out of a jar and slapped on at the last minute. And to top it all my father broke his tooth on some stone or bone - resulting in a trip to the dentist. Such a shame for somewhere that I remembered as being lovely a few years ago. Please don't inflict it on your family!

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank newpark
HareandHoundsDeal, Manager at The Hare & Hounds, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
We are genuinely concerned about your less than positive visit. We have ongoing staff development programmes in place which will contribute towards improved customer service and whilst we take such reviews seriously, other feedback reassures us that yours has been an unusual experience. We do however realise this is of little comfort to yourselves, and would like to cordially invite you to return and enjoy complimentary meals in order to give us the opportunity to demonstrate the standards of service to which we aspire. Please contact us at your convenience and accept our apologies.

We strive to have 4 cask ales on tap, although inevitably there are occasions where one may be unavailable for a variety of reasons...may we also reassure you that all our food is freshly prepared, and no sauces come out of a jar! We do hope to see you again.
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Thank you”
Reviewed 3 December 2013

For the second occasion I chose your establishment for our End of Play celebration. On the first occasion in May we were a party of 14, everyone was very complimentary regarding food and service and so I thought we would return for a second visit following the autumn play. This time we had 24 in the group and I did wonder whether this would prove a problem, however I need not have worried, once again food was great and also the service. My special thanks to Gemma who made everything run smoothly and the young waiter who worked very hard to deliver our food and always with a smile.
Wendy Ward .