“Great service and Breakfast”
Review of Wellingtons - CLOSED

Wellingtons
Price range: US$0 - US$17
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: View
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Nelson, New Zealand
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great service and Breakfast”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Visiting family whilst on holiday we stopped off for breakfast at Wellingtons. In contrast to a previous breakfast at another Deal establishment this was perfect. This is an old fashioned café with great old fashioned service. The owner greeted us, the waitress was efficient and above all the food was served quickly and was tasty. This was despite every table being taken up. The menu is simple but they do it well and the price is very competitive.

• Visited May 2014

Tonbridge, United Kingdom
“Best All Day Breakfast ... In The World!”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Four or five times a year we have a day out from Tonbridge in the West of Kent to Deal in the East. One of the main reasons for going to Deal is our breakfast at Wellingtons, in fact, I think it fair to say that if Wellingtons were not there we would probably not make the trip so frequently! The service and quality on our trip today was, as usual, superb. There were four of us - Two of us had the 'Special Breakfast' and Two of us had the 'Mega Breakfast' and between us we had most of the different combinations of this you can have! What sets these breakfasts apart from the usual, is the quality of the ingredients, they use butchers quality sausage and bacon, not the usual 'catering' sausages you often find in cafes and smaller restaurants. Included in the deal is a glass of orange and choice of tea or coffee. You also get toast which again is superior to most cafe/restuarants where you would be given some toasted bread and a sachet of butter or margarine, oh no, here the toast is already generously buttered for you! My wife and daughter had requested decaffinated coffees, when the waiter delivered them he realized they were full coffees and apologised and replaced them straight away, in spite of being told that it didn't matter, he apologised again when I paid the bill - what service! I can't believe that people have complained about this restuarant on this site, not only do their complaints seem petty, they seem to have been very rude as well. Please don't believe them if you are considering a trip to Deal and more particularly Wellingtons, I wish I had taken a picture to put on here as this review nowhere near does our experience justice - maybe next time as I am already looking forward to our next visit!

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank NickyNockyNoo72
Deal, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wellingtons is the BEST, forget the rest!”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

For the last 20 years I have divided my life between London & Deal. I do not cook and always eat out for lunch. In London I go to Andrew Edmund's (Lexington Street, Soho) which, of course, is excellent and acknowledged as one of the best restaurants in the West End. So I am a spoilt boy! Finding equivalent quality in Deal seemed to prove impossible… until I came across Wellington's, 5 years ago! What a discovery! I have been a 'regular' ever since. The home cooked food can only be described as DIVINE and can compete with anything in London. But NOT at London prices. In fact, it seems ridiculously cheap considering the exceptionally high quality. The restaurant (the word 'cafe' wouldn't do it justice!) is run by a wonderful family who really 'look after you'… always ensuring you enjoy a happy and comfortable visit. The lovely staff are SUPER helpful and accommodate every whim! And trust me… I am not an easy customer! In summary: Wellingtons is not just an excellent restaurant providing 'Michelin star' quality. It's by far more than that: it's a phantastic community! Last but not least: Proof in the pudding (and the puddings are heavenly!): Despite having suffered the worst recession in living memory, Wellington's has thrived. ALWAYS busy and, I am afraid… without wishing to put you off… expect a queue on your visit!

PS: In need of a good cuppa? Well, the answer is obvious: You'll get it at Wellington's! Don't even bother with the Savoy afternoon tea… doesn't even come close!

1 Thank Angus N
“When is a pot of tea for two, for two?? At wonderful Wellingtons! Xx”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

i was in the cafe on he day the two men who wrote the last negative comments were and witnessed the men complaining about tea! The poor staff were trying to explain that one man had been given extra tea on a previous visit but he and his friend continued to aggressively intimidate the two young female staff who were visibly shaken and upset. For two grown men to act in such a vulgar and primitive manner was alarming and concerning. But we did have the best lunch with excellent service and a lovely cup of tea!

1 Thank slmeps
Rob W, Manager at Wellingtons, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Thank you for your kind words.
Although not present that day, I understand it was quite a nasty experience for the staff on duty.
I don't believe anyone should be subjected to that sort of barrage of abuse, be it customers or staff.
I hope it didn't ruin the meal for you!

As a way of thanks for showing us, as well as the rest of trip advisor, that perhaps a review does not always explore both sides of the coin, next time you visit just explain about the review on here and ask for Harry or one of the owners, and I'm sure we can give you two and half cups on the house!

(its not favouritism, its a thank you!)

With Kind Regards
Rob
London, United Kingdom
“Run by a bunch of amateurs”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

The Lamb Shanks on the menu are “cook in the bag” from the local supermarket. Their vegetables are tinned and/or frozen. Your meal will arrive 15 minutes after your tea has been served, therefore, don’t go thinking you’ll be able to enjoy them both together! The “Specials” board NEVER changes, therefore, there are no “Specials”. In contravention of Trade Descriptions Act 1968 a pot of tea for one is exactly the same as a pot of tea for two. The extra payment is for the use of an extra cup and saucer, not extra tea. And finally, the staff are always right and the customer is always wrong. There are better, friendlier, more welcoming and more reasonably priced Cafe's in abundance in Deal, so thankfully Wellingtons is easily avoided. I’ll return when new management and staff take over, which shouldn’t be long now as the place is on its last legs compared to its competitors.

Rob W, Manager at Wellingtons, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Thank you for your review.

I have covered "teagate" in my response to your acquaintance.

As for the legal reference, thank you, this is very handy to know. You might also want to consider the weights and measures act 1985, which, coincidentally, does not make it a criminal offence to supply a larger quantity or measure for the same price.

I will add, and am sure that our many regular patrons would agree with me - our specials board is updated on a regular basis.

The staff are fully aware that the customer comes first. However, as human beings, I'm sure you would agree that they are entitled to some respect as much as your good self, and by treating them in any lesser way, and insisting that all your demands are met is possibly not the best way to win them over. I'm also sure you would agree fully when I say that a little mutual respect goes a long way in most situations in life.

Collectively, we have been in the service industry for over 60 years, so whilst I appreciate your concern for the condition that you believe our business may be in, I hope you will understand if I do not share it.

Once again, thank you for your review.