“Lovely stay!”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Deal
Kent, United Kingdom
“Lovely stay!”
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Stayed here for our 7 year anniversary! Lovely quirky old building with varying sloping parts! Staff were wonderful and had a sweetness not found in cities or major chains. Gorgeous bar where we sunk many bottles of fizz and had a laugh. Gorgeous sea views as I'd requested. Free WiFi!

Breakfast was excellent - as I looked out I saw a lady riding past on a bicycle with the wind blowing up her skirt! Made me smile and just the view I want out my breakfast window when I retire! Would absolutely stay again and almost certain to next year to! Thank you Royal Hotel for a great stay!

N.B Only complaint would be that the blinds in our room were un-hemmed which made me want to re-hem them as you could see the pinhole pricks where the threads should be. Taking the historical part a bit too far I felt!

Room Tip: Request a Sea View!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank st5om

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2012

The hotel overall is a lovely historic building, staff seem well trained. Management to be honest seem not very interested in individual guest needs, and appear dismissive when requests are made to them. Big problem is the parking - £9 for a day, we outstayed our paid parking by 4 minutes and received a hefty fine. Better hotels, with better customer service, in the region, is our honest view.

Room Tip: If you do stay, choose a balcony room at the front of the hotel - lovely views of Deal beach and the...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank EuroTrav_99
Canvey
Reviewed 25 March 2012

Sorry but I would have to disagree with the other reviews. We stayed on Friday night in an executive room (Merton room). The room was excellent with a fantastic bathroom - shower, tub, two hand basins and two hot towel rails. We overlooked the sea and were a bit concerned that we may have been disturbed by the noise from the pub itself, but never heard a thing. The food was very good and the breakfast was exceptional - praise to the morning chef! All the staff were really friendly, especially the reception area. If we had to find fault, it would be to get some coving for the bathroom to finish it off nicely and to invest in new non slip mats for shower, ours, though very clean, was terribly faded and therefore off putting - come on guys, we are talking about £10.00 here!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a room overlooking the sea, some have balconies which would be fantastic in summer
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Deal, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2012

I booked this hotel for my parents for at stay at the end of 2011. We all extremely disappointed with the experience and would hesitate to recommend the Royal to anyone in the future. Reception was extremely hit and miss and we had to search to find some one to deal with my parents' check in. The breakfast was pretty awful too and any requests were not dealt with within an acceptable period of time. The room itself was adequate but for the price was nothing very special. All I can say is disappointing which is a pity for the main hotel in a very vibrant and up and coming seaside town.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Just a night's stopover with grown up family but we were made very welcome by friendly and attentive staff. Superior rooms are enormous, reasonably appointed, with huge bathrooms too. Beds were comfortable with nice bedlinen. Good facilities all round with an excellent breakfast ... even if we did have to wait for the toast!

Room Tip: If you can afford it, there are three rooms with verandas overlooking the sea .... just a bit too mu...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank LKT53
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2012

I was in Deal visitng my aunt with lots of things to do during the day. This was chosen by pot luck. I was on the third floor facing the town. There was no lift but the assistant manager offered to carry the bags up the steep stairs which was much appreciated.

The room was spacious with a good bath. It took a bit of time to sort out the radiators which were neccesary as it got colder during the stay. The old sash windows were not very friendly and single glazed.

The hotel is run by the Shepherd Neame pub group and has been well maintained. The historical artifacts and pictures are especially interesting and they make much of the town's association with Admiral Lord Nelson.

The evening menu was basic pub grub, possibly with an A* for a pub but still pub food. I got the impression that much had been cooked in the morning and microwaved to order in the evening. I may be wrong but had it not been so cold and windy on the second evening I think I would have ventured out in search of an alternative.

However the breakfasts were excellent and I enjoyed a good creamy porridge on both mornings plus kippers and scrambled egg and smoked salmon on successive mornings.

There is a wonderful sea front bar that looks out onto the sea. On a warm summers' evening a seat by the windows must be a real joy. Alas in January the room feels cold and drafty. The radiators were certainly not on at full blast, though the staff assured me that that was as high as they went. I ended up having dinner in the entrance lounge on the second night. Not very welcoming, but much warmer.

if i were in Deal again I would stay at The Royal but eat elsewhere in the morning returning to the well stocked and well run bar for a nightcap.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Auntys_Visitor
Greater London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 January 2012

We stayed at this hotel for one night at the end of January and can say that the public areas are nicely maintained, lots of staff on site and all staff very nice, corteous and helpful. We had a room on the third floor (town view) and that was definitely not something to get excited about. Although large and clean it definitely lacked in many areas. Half a pelmet was hanging off one of the windows, one of the walls had a lot of paint flaking off it. The bath panel had come lose and somebody had pushed it in so it showed a big gap. there was no hot water to be had, no matter how long we kept it running it only got to a very tepid lukewarm. However, the drains were very entertaining in gurgling non stop from the bath when the sink was being used. there was a distinct lack of shelves to put anything on in the bathroom and the floorboard were loud and creeky. On the plus side though, the bed was very comfortable and a good picture on the flat screen tv with pleasant sound. The Breakfast wasvery tasty and plentiful. Speaking with other people in our party, one must definitely stay in the "balcony rooms" as those guest had only praise for the rooms. At a £100 a night I would have liked a bit more. Would I stay again? Only if all other options in Deal are full.

Room Tip: choose the balcony rooms
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Deal
Dunkerley's Restaurant and Hotel
#1 of 12 in Margate
The Bell Hotel
The Bell Hotel
#2 of 5 in Sandwich

Been to The Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!