“Perfect setting right on the beach...”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Royal Hotel

The Royal Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Deal
Belgium
“Perfect setting right on the beach...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2010

We use this hotel regularly now. It is ideally situated in Deal with views of the town or beach. The bar and bistro overlook the sea. We find the service efficient and very friendly. Both Glenn and Joice are really helpful and make for a very pleasant stay. The breakfasts are delicious and the bar food, very good and resonably priced.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Worcester, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2009

We were quite disappointed with our stay at The Royal Hotel. Although certain aspects of the hotel give the impression of a more luxurious establishment, this is after all just a 2-star hotel. So £130 for a room is extremely expensive!

Nobody was on reception upon our arrival and there was no "ring bell for service" or equivalent, so we just had to wait until somebody turned up to check us in. We were handed the keys and told where our room was located. The bedroom was huge! This was the one main positive point from our stay (though part of me actually thinks the room was too big and I would have still been impressed with a room 20-30% smaller). The hem of all the window blinds were coming undone and I was disappointed that there was no minibar or fridge keep water cool. No bottles of water provided in the room, just a standard refreshment tray with instant coffee, tea bags and UHT milk sachets. Standard CRT TV set with 5 channels (no satellite/digital channels). No internet access other than BT wifi zone. My room at the front of the hotel was very noisy, with traffic heard from around 6.00am. I've previously stayed in a rear sea-view room but as there is no double-glazing, the sound of the sea kept me awake!!

Breakfast was generally satisfactory though I wouldn't say it was paricularly fantastic. I was not asked how I would like my eggs cooked. I had to ask for toast rather than have it offered and was not given a choice of white or brown. Service slow.

In places, it is evident that redecoration is overdue. In the breakfast room, for example, there was a large area of woodwork where the white paint had completely peeled off!

Checkout was also slow. Nobody on reception again so had to hang around waiting for somebody to turn up. Not asked how my stay was.

This is essentially a Shepherd Neame pub with rooms attached. The building has a prestigious history, has great views over the sea (if you want to pay a premium £170 for the privilege) and has quite tasteful room furnishings. But this does not justify the high prices that are charged (double what you can find elsewhere in the area for B&B).

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2009

My partner is a member at Royal Cinque Ports Golf Club in Deal so we often travel from London to stay at this hotel.
We have stayed in a number of different rooms and have been very impressed each time.
Rooms are large and beautifully furnished with a lot of country charm and fantastic ocean views.
The hotel is right on the beach and in the centre of Deal but one of the best things is the breakfast! It's amazing!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
cheam surrey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2009

My wife and I try to have 4 annual short breaks at the royal.The new managers we met for the first time,their enthusiasm and professional approach is a joy to behold.Without fail every member of staff is attentive and friendly,nothing is too much trouble for them.Cannot wait to return asap.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Kent
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2009

Last year my wife and I booked the Royal Hotel for our son's wedding reception. The then management bent over backwards to ensure we would book there, and promised that the reception would be one our son and his new wife would remember for ever. We were promised two rooms for the breakfast and an entire side of the hotel for the evening reception. The meal we chose, a buffet, was the most expensive item on the menu, and we suggested to many of our friends that they should stay at the hotel. Imagine our horror when, just before the wedding, we found that the old management had been replaced, that the menu offered to us was no longer available and that one of the rooms promised for the evening reception had been turned into a restaurant. We managed to negotiate that the promised menu would be laid on but there would be no staff available. We now feel we could have done much better by hiring a church hall and paying for outside caterers. On top of which it would have been much cheaper! A number of our guests are staying at the hotel but they have reported that cheaper rooms (£90) are tiny; some have opted for suites at the same hotel, others have managed to book better rooms at other hotels in Deal and the surrounding area. The service in this hotel has deteriorated horribly in the last year and I could never recommend the Royal again. There are far better, and much cheaper, hotels in the Deal area.

• Stayed April 2009
3 Thank rohart
Lincs
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2009

Firstly I feel I must mention the hotels great location. Basically you step ouside the front door of the hotel and you have some of the most fantastic sea views.

The hotel itself, has a great atmosphere. It's got lots of history, but when your stopping in the hotel, you still feel as if you are in modern surrondings. The rooms are very spacious, and most ave great seaviews

The staff are very friendly, which makes the hotel even more appealing to travellers who wish to return

The resturant serves a great selection of well priced food and you can enjoy your meal in a relaxed comfortable environment

First Class!

• Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Mr_Faulty87
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2008

I just felt like an evening by the sea, so booked a Thursday night stay at the Royal. I got a double room for single occupancy for £65. The room was huge and well-appointed with a fantastic ensuite bathroom. The location of the hotel is unbeatable, right beside the sea, and there's a very cosy bar. I didn't try the restaurant, so can't comment on that, but breakfast was OK, apart from unbelievably tasteless scrambled egg. I would definitely stay here again. Actually, the room was so big and comfortable, I wanted to stay here forever, rather than return to my pokey house in London, with a lessthanimpressive view of the other side of the road.

• Liked — Biiiiig room
  • Disliked — Tasteless scrambled egg at breakfast
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Brian H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Deal
Dunkerley's Restaurant and Hotel
Royal Harbour Hotel
Royal Harbour Hotel
#5 of 9 in Ramsgate
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,040 reviews

Been to The Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!