Lowest prices for your stay
Fully refundable before Thu, 29 Feb
Fully refundable before Sat, 2 Mar
No prepayment needed
Get rewarded with One Key
Hotels.com
Fully refundable before Sat, 2 Mar
No prepayment needed
Get rewarded with One Key
All reviews balcony room shepherd neame nelson room sea view lovely hotel roll top bath car park family room superb location sea front pay and display walmer castle eggs benedict visit deal stayed for one night following morning fresh milk
Selected filters
Reviewed 17 July 2021

We had the most amazing first date at the royal hotels premium drinks lounge, our bottle of taittinger was opened in front of us using a sabre sword
The staff were absolutely incredible and tended to our every need we would like to thank Katie and dani personally. Couldn’t have asked for a better first date. We will be returning through the summer

Date of stay: July 2021
2  Thank 35flickc
Reviewed 22 June 2021

My main reason for choosing The Royal Hotel was to have a balcony and a seaview and neither disappointed. Never having stayed in Deal before I wasn't sure what to expect and, on arrival, I was a little unsure that the hotel was going to be to be taste. However, after one night there (I stayed for 7 nights) I had completely changed my opinion. I was in Nelson Room which is the centre of the three balcony rooms. A little repainting of the woodwork on and around the balcony wouldn't go amiss and the armchair needs replacing - in fact there really should be two. These small criticisms though are far outweighed by the location and the size of the balcony. You do pay quite a premium for the balcony rooms but I am very glad I did. There was a rolltop bath actually in the bedroom which, as I was alone, I rather liked but it may not suit people who are sharing. The bathroom was small but did have a very large walk-in shower - small comment here is that there should be a grab rail in the shower and somewhere to put the soap etc! Otherwise comfortable bed and lovely large french doors onto the balcony. More comfortable chairs on the balcony would be an improvement. My friend had a seaview room on the floor above and, although no balcony, her room had obviously been refurbished and was actually superior to mine. One of the big plus points of this hotel is the staff who are, without exception, super friendly and helpful. After a few days I felt as if lived there! Breakfast was excellent with a very interesting menu. As I had sunny weather all week I was able to eat outside which was great - they would even bring a chair out for me as I didn't like the stools! I only had dinner once as I liked trying all the different restaurants around and it was very good. Although there is a separate restaurant, most people seem to prefer to eat in the bar because of the seaviews and there is more atmosphere. I started my meal in the restaurant but the lovely waitress was more than happy to move everything to a table in the bar. All in all the holiday exceeded my expectations and I liked the fact that Deal and the Royal Hotel have retained their slightly old-fashioned charm and the town doesn't seem to get besieged by daytrippers at the weekends. I'm sure I will be back.

Room tip: If budget allows go for a balcony room.
Reviewed 21 June 2021 via mobile

Prior to Covid we ate or drank here probably twice a month. Even though it had changed hands service and "pub grub" was consistently above average.

Been twice in June, once with gents from work then father's day.

I know with the guys we arrived 5 or 10 minutes apart on Thursday but then taking our order became a waiting game. Menus were food stained and despite having a notebook the server still couldn't get the orders right. Waited ages to pay the bill and the food was ok.

Father's day we couldnt have been rushed more with a whip and a chair (Lion tamer analogy for anyone of that vintage). TBH we just got bloody minded and kept delaying the server, though they tried to chvvy us by one server hovering to take our starter away as the mains were bought before we'd finished.

Food was tasteless, apples with overcooked duck drenched in apple cider vinegar and manager's stood chatting at the bar drinking coffee rather than controlling service.

I' giving these two visits an average overall out of loyalty but boy they're making it tough to carry that on. Please pick up on the FB and get the quality and consistency back.

Reviewed 21 June 2021 via mobile

This was a lovely hotel. The superior room we stayed in had a great view of the sea and the promenade and was a great standard, with lovely decor. Breakfast was one of the tastiest I have had in a long, long time! I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did!!

Room tip: There is a car park right outside the hotel. It costs £7.80 to stay 24 hours. It's not a huge car park but spaces became available pretty quickly.
Reviewed 20 June 2021 via mobile

Spent a lovely 2 nights in the Royal Hotel . Was lucky to have brilliant weather so breakfast both mornings were on the outside terrace and was really nice . The hotel has many different quirky rooms and Clarance was a treat , as had a view over the seafront. The staff were all great , especially manager Alex who was very helpful after we had a issue . We ate in the restaurant one evening, nice meal but would like a bit more choice when all is back to normal please. Highly recommend, we will be back

Room tip: Parking is free 6pm to 9am , small car park next to hotel , beachfront and town car parking 5 mins away but can get busy , £7.50 per day Max
Date of stay: May 2021