Lowest prices for your stay
Fully refundable before Thu, 29 Feb
Hotels.com
Fully refundable before Sat, 2 Mar
No prepayment needed
Get rewarded with One Key
Fully refundable before Sat, 2 Mar
Get rewarded with One Key
All reviews balcony room shepherd neame nelson room sea view lovely hotel roll top bath car park family room superb location sea front pay and display walmer castle eggs benedict visit deal stayed for one night following morning fresh milk
Selected filters
Reviewed 1 October 2023 via mobile

We enjoyed 2 perfect nights here in early September in a feature room. Everything was exactly as pictured on the website.
The views from the room were sensational and we enjoyed breakfast on our balcony both mornings of our stay.
The balcony has a little timed heater for the chillier evenings and we sat out both nights with a sundowner. The timer could be set for a little longer as it only seemed to stay on for a minute or so before you needed to press the button again.
Also agree with others that a fridge should be standard for a room at this price.
The team could not do enough to ensure we had everything we needed. Everyone was so friendly and helpful.
We can’t wait to go back

Room tip: Get Ringo app for the car park Don’t forget your flask of milk when you go up for the night
Date of stay: September 2023
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mandyxx
Reviewed 27 September 2023 via mobile

A fantastic stay the room was amazing the service was the best I received in Deal. Loved the sunrise,breakfast and morning walks. We really enjoyed being at this iconic venue all staff super friendly and very polite. I would recommend asking for a sea view room

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 26 September 2023

I booked a double room as had received good feedback from friends and family. I stayed just the one night and was placed in a room on the top floor with a great sea view. It was amazing seeing the sun rise early and hearing the swimmers taking a dip. Unfortunatley, the window was adjacent to the kitchen extractor chimney so did experience odours when cooking. Although the room was a tad compact it was ok for one person. The bed was comfortable and was supplied with coffee making facilities but no milk was provided. The shower was not performing well with very low pressure and luke warm water. Maybe being on the top floor didnt help.
I needed to check out early do didn't experience the breakfast.
Overall i believe the room required a refurb and to address the plumbing issues. I would not have expected to pay the £210 I was charged for this room.

Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 30 August 2023

My husband and I booked a two night stay for my birthday. This was our third stay at the Royal. We had previously stayed in the Nelson and Wellington rooms which both have terraces overlooking the beach. This visit we stayed in the Wellington room. Having checked in around 3pm we walked around the town and returned to our room to shower before dinner. My husband showered first and reported that despite running the shower for several minutes the water was lukewarm/cold and the shower tray was not draining. It was too late to do anything about it so I had a very quick, lukewarm shower. On our way out to dinner we reported the problem to the lady on reception. We said that in our opinion there was a fault with the thermostatic shower valve. Why the shower wasn't draining we didn't know. I would be very surprised if this had not been a problem for previous guests and it should have been obvious to the cleaners that there was a problem. She said the maintenance man would be in the next day and she would let him know. She said she would phone the room before he arrived.

The next morning (my birthday) we had breakfast delivered to the room and ate it out on the balcony. It was delicious (eggs benedict and a smoked salmon bagel). We left the room at about 10:30 and retuned late afternoon. We assumed the shower had been fixed. Again we went to shower before dinner and to our horror, we found it was still lukewarm and still not draining! I wanted to wash my hair but the water was too cold and the tray was overflowing. After yet another cold shower I went to speak to the lady in reception. She apologised profusely and said she had left a note for the morning receptionist but this obviously hadn't been followed up on. I asked why she hadn't checked herself. She said she could let us use another room (presumably with a working shower!) but I pointed out that it was too late. She rather half heartedly offered a free bottle of wine which I declined and made further grovelling apologies. We left for dinner. Next morning there were more grovelling apologies and assurance that the maintenance man had ordered a new thermostat (as he hadn't been in the room to check the problem I took that with a pinch of salt) which was of absolutely no use to us.

Good points: The room, although tired, is spacious and has an amazing view overlooking the beach. The restaurant, bar and cleaning staff were delightful and the breakfasts were excellent. We also liked the little armchairs on the balcony.

In conclusion, to pay £500 for a room without a hot shower is totally unacceptable. We shall not be returning to the Royal which needs to tighten up on it's housekeeping and maintenance programmes.

Date of stay: August 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jane W
Reviewed 25 August 2023

We had a beautiful stay at the Royal Hotel to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. I am glad we chose a premier room with a balcony. Not only were the room and en suite spacious, the balcony was huge and gave such a long view of the beach. It was breathtaking particularly as we had good weather.
The bed was comfortable, the wardrobe had a rail which lit up and the shower was excellent with the usual toiletries available.
The hotel as a whole has a slightly faded splendour. The rooms are named after famous people from history and the details behind the names are available at reception if you ask. Our welcoming receptionist was very good, another jolly receptionist booked us a taxi and all staff were friendly and helpful.
A slight improvement would be a small fridge in the bedroom to keep drinking water cold on hot days as well as the milk for hot drinks. The milk is issued in small flasks that keep it cool but only for up to six hours so there must be waste. Perhaps the hotel is discouraging drinking in the rooms rather than at the bar but there is plenty of room for a fridge under the kettle area.
A light in that area would make things easier and, as night time readers, we found the sidelights too dim. A central light over the bed would help.
Our balcony light did not work but we failed to report that at the time. Our last breakfast was delivered to the balcony and, although the weather had deteriorated, it was fun having the full works with a sea view.
Highly recommended.

Room tip: Ask for a sea view with balcony if you can afford it for a treat. Pay for next day car parking before 8pm to save getting up early.
Date of stay: August 2023