“Warm room and very good food”

The Royal Hotel Boathouse Bar
Ranked #51 of 113 Restaurants in Deal
Cuisines: Bar, Pub
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 13 February 2014 via mobile

Being off-season many of the Deal favourites are closed so found ourselves here. A good find - we had the Hythe Bay fish pie and ham, egg & chips. Both very nice. Also a good range of soft drinks for adults.

Reviewed 12 February 2014 via mobile

Ordered the 'Hythe bay fish pie'. Unfortunately it was cold. Alerted waitress. Pie returned to kitchen with apologies. New pie arrives. Guess what? Exactly the same. Returned & cancelled order, tried fish & chips. This was okay but very small piece of fish. Manager came to our table & was very apologetic as he should be. We only paid for one meal. We eat frequently at Royal but have to say this was disappointing, it's been under new management for some time. It's always busy. Maybe the kitchen needs to up its game rather than resting on its laurels.

1  Thank meddlecho
Reviewed 3 January 2014

I have not stayed in the hotel yet but have often had lunches and coffees in the bar/conservatory. The atmosphere here is wonderful. With the views of the sea and the slightly colonial atmosphere it is my favourite place for Sunday mornings reading the paper and relaxing. I have to say I have never been when it has been very busy, usually visit in the winter. I do love it though.Very different from my usual haunts in the cotswolds!

1  Thank Annie51_13
Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

Sadly the Sunday lunch did not live up to our expectations. Roast turkey will all the trimmings was so disappointing :( the turkey was fine but a cocktail sausage which obviously contained hardly any meat, stuffing which looked a dirty grey colour, thin gravy, yellow sprouts, roast potatoes one which was hard in the middle. When I go out for dinner I expect to eat something special but this time it was a tasteless bland meal. In the past we have had lovely sandwiches and snacks there but today it was obvious that the kitchen staff can't cook hot food. It was just after midday when we ordered so there was no excuse to serve up food that looked like it had been prepared and hanging around for hours. We won't be eating there again.

1  Thank Lindyloo662
Reviewed 15 December 2013

We are within walking distance of this lovely old Hotel, we often have morning coffee or afternoon tea there when we are in Town, but we have never eaten there.
Today we braved the rough weather walked up to the Hotel and had a nice warming drink, as it was close to lunchtime we made the decision to have the Christmas Turkey roast. Service was polite and efficient and our food arrived piping hot but from here on it went downhill, vegetables were somewhat over cooked and bland. The small sausage that came with the turkey was of questionable quality having no taste, meat was sort of ok, I've seen thicker sea water than the gravy, roast potatoes were somewhat leathery and required some getting in to!
It all reminded me of school dinners, which is a shame because the venue and staff are really good.