“Good but not Great”
Review of Sutherland House

Sutherland House
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Deal
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Well-furnished, large room on ground floor. Comfortable bed. Some road noise all night which would affect a light sleeper. Good, strong shower in very small cubicle. Nice residents' lounge. Charming period breakfast room but breakfast itself merely satisfactory. Welcome somewhat brusque. Over-priced for what it is and where it is. Next time we'll stay at the Royal.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear are quieter.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Wader01
GKNH, Owner at Sutherland House, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2013

I am surprised and perplexed that this review was allowed to contain a reference to another Deal hotel I am sorry the guests were disappointed but as the two hotels offer vastly differing properties and services, it cannot support direct comparison. it is good that a small town such as ours can offer variety in its hotels.

Reviewed 11 May 2013

We stayed here on on 6th May 2013. The welcome and check in were pleasant and efficient. The room was well appointed and very clean. Everything was in good working order and a lot of care and attention to detail was evident. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom had a shower with good pressure and a bath.
Breakfast was excellent and nicely served and presented. I would estimate that dinner would be of the same standard. There was well stocked bar and prices for drinks looked similar to those in a pub.
We left some belongings behind which were posted to us within the week.
We will return to this hotel and highly recommend it to others

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank johnarran2
Reviewed 18 March 2013

We recently stayed here for one night, i could have stayed longer!. The hotel is tastefully decorated and spotlessly clean with a warm homely feel. Breakfast was excellent, with plenty of choice and very good coffee! Will definitely return later this year!!

Room Tip: Front facing room on first floor - with beautiful curtains!!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank 1Sued
Reviewed 17 March 2013

Recently stayed here for one night with my husband and we couldn't fault anything. We thought the hotel and furnishings were very beautiful and the bedroom had all the mod cons for small hotel. The choice of food at breakfast was excellent, even for a vegetation. Would certainly recommend.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank siobhanb67
Reviewed 3 February 2013

I recently stayed at Sutherland House for a few days while working in Deal , and am very pleased that i did so. The house is tastefully decorated , very clean and well kept , and has a very pleasant and comfortable feel to it . The room was also very comfortable with every amenity supplied , the bathroom was very clean and had a great shower ! . I am usually bothered by traffic noise and was slightly concerned that being near a busy road , i might be in for a disturbed nights sleep.But not in the slightest it turned out , i did not hear a thing and had the best nights sleep in a long time , the house is well built and seems relatively soundproof thanks to the quality double glazing . There is plenty of parking , the breakfast is better than most hotels i've stayed in around the world , and every consideration is made for guests . I'm very pleased to have discovered Sutherland House and look forward to a return one day , this is a small hotel for which it is easy to recomend strongly.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Tom P
Reviewed 30 October 2012

First impressions pulling up to the hotel were great, however stood on the door step whilst the owner checked I had really booked in I felt like I was an inconvenience!
In my room I struggled with the internet conection so i phoned him for advice.....he said read the guest manual. I then phoned again as I thought the room was rather chilly and asked for the use of a heater that I had seen in the manual, he said with a tut and a huff oh i will put the heating on but im bound to get complaints when it gets too hot!!!
Its as if everything was a massive effort for him.
The house/hotel was lovely and a great location.....the food was also great but service with a smile was never on the menue.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Shazronnie
GKNH, Owner at Sutherland House, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2012

I'm happy this customer was pleased with the hotel but naturally concerned with the impression formed of me. On check in I asked the guest to wait in the reception hall (as I always do) to check the room booking,type, special requests etc.This took less than 1 minute and I personally took the guest to the room and explained door locks ,breakfast times and how to contact me for anything.
The complementary intrenet is accessed by a code in capitals so it is far better to read it than be told it. i immediately instigated the pairing process so that is the process.
September was a warm month and the heating system was put on but some customers felt it was too hot on occaisions. This did not preclude me from putting the heating on for this guest but I certainly did not remonstrate, indeed I live in the building and I love warm rooms. Im sorry my manner was interpreted in such a way but such an attitude is not my style.Even though I was struggling through a recent bereavement I always remained pleasant with guests. It is my job afterall but it also helped me to cope.

Reviewed 7 October 2012

A very enjoyable and relaxing stay (three nights). Extremely comfortable, spacious rooms and a superb breakfast. The guest house is pleasantly situated and the location is a great spot for travelling in all directions.

Room Tip: We stayed in rooms 2 & 3, both first floor, both very good size although bedroom 3 has a much la...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank tina_mottram
Also consider these accommodations in or near Deal
The Royal Hotel
#5 of 5 in Deal
Number One B&B
Number One B&B
#1 of 13 in Deal

Been to Sutherland House? Share your experiences!