“Unique, luxurious property - hard to leave!”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of Beach Sun Retreat

Excellent
The 'French' Bedroom
Cinema Room
The Beach Sun Retreat
The front garden and the Koi pond
Beach adjacent to house
The dj setup in the sunroom
'St Tropez Style Living Area
Living Area
'St Tropez' style living area at night
Living area at night
'french' bathroom
The Kitchen
The Beach Sun Retreat
The  Range Cooker
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Fupes
Tonbridge, United Kingdom
“Unique, luxurious property - hard to leave!”
Reviewed 30 December 2016 for a stay in December 2016

We stayed here for a short break in mid-December for my birthday celebration with our 2 dogs having searched for somewhere 'different' from the usual luxury spa hotel type accommodation and we were not disappointed. The property itself is truly unique and has a wonderful feeling of spaciousness combined with imaginative but tasteful fittings and furnishings. We had such a great time with a mixture of 'outdoor winter sunshine' on the lovely sandy beach just over the sea wall (which our dogs loved) and 'indoor sunshine' with fizz and Cornettos on the loungers in the sun room - rather surreal for mid-December in Dymchurch but great fun all the same! The finer detail of the property has been well covered by previous reviewers, but I would reinforce the creativity of design and high standard it presents (one minor comment- I would agree with an earlier reviewer that although the 'dual cloakroom' is fun and beautifully done, it might serve the property better if one of the toilet cubicles was converted to a shower for people staying in the single bedrooms). Louise was very friendly and efficient with communication, likewise Mavis the housekeeper and everything was handled in a professional but relaxed way. All in all a wonderful place to celebrate a special occasion or to just chill - we have raved about it to many friends already and will be back for sure.

31 Dec 2016
Thanks so much for this wonderfully sunny review. We love the sound of fizz and cornettos. What a combination! Please do come back for more. Wishing you a happy healthy and sunny 2017. Louise, Karl and Mavis
Reviewed 15 November 2016 for a stay in November 2016

16 Nov 2016
Thanks Elaine for your 'sunny' comments. So sorry to hear about the stereo issues. We will investigate further! Interesting re the hot tub idea as some guests have hired one for their stay which seems to work well. Do hope we can welcome you again for more fun and relaxation. Sunny regards Louise, Mavis and Karl
R P
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“Fun, fun, fun for a lovely birthday weekend!”
Reviewed 1 November 2016 for a stay in October 2016

I will not bore the readers by reiterating all the wonderful things that others have said, they are all true and you won't regret choosing this house for your stay in Kent. I booked this for my 50th birthday celebration and hosted a small gathering, self catered. All my guests loved the venue and decor, as did I. I intend using this review to provide some useful info for guests and owners to hopefully assist in further improving the experience.
If you are having a celebration, I can highly recommend The Red Balloon in Westenhangar for very reasonably priced balloons. I shopped around and they were by far the best price and it is only an easy 10min drive to collect. I also ordered and collected the most incredible birthday cake and afternoon teas from La Salamandre patissier on the High St in Hythe. They were fantastic, possibly the best I have ever eaten (see their Facebook page as they don't currently have a website). The Beach Sun Retreat kitchen is genuinely well equipped enough to cater for guests including a bread maker, dishwasher, microwave and fridge freezer with ice machine, so no need to buy in. A Tesco order can be delivered so no need to trot to the shops. Our delivery driver was so lovely and even had his photo taken on a sun lounger. All publicity is good publicity and I'm sure he will tell his friends how amazing the house is! Reasonable stock of glassware but no martini type glasses for cocktails or pint glasses so BYO although there are a couple of plastic cocktail shakers in the kitchen. The house was very warm, even on the last weekend of October, probably in part due to the heat from the incredible lighting, so take cool clothes for indoors even off-season. The lane into Sycamore Gardens is narrow and not easy to spot, especially if you are arriving in the dark, so try doing street view before you arrive and indicate to turn as soon as you go past the derelict Ship Inn coming from the Hythe direction.
Although the house can accommodate up to 7 guests in reasonable comfort, bedroom space is a squeeze in the two singles, one of which does not have a window and can therefore get a little stale. Unfortunately, although there are two toilets for the single rooms they do not have any bathroom facilities except the en-suites attached to the double rooms. It would be so much better if one of the two toilet cubicles was replaced by a shower. Our enjoyment of the jacuzzi bath was curtailed by a bathroom blind which collapsed and could not be replaced due to the lack of handyman cover at the weekend. I am sure this will be rectified shortly! Privacy is an issue for the occupants of the black bedroom as pedestrians on the sea wall can look into both the bathroom and bedroom. Not major but slightly off-putting. There is only one bedside table in this bedroom so it was a bit difficult for reading in bed.
I hope this review is helpful. My sister would love the additional accommodations to be finished in the next 18 months so she can book a weekend for her eldest daughters 18th birthday. It is a lovely place and the ability to stroll on the beach, fly kites, go on the dodgems and eat fish and chips make a lovely British beach juxtaposition to the tropical delights indoors. Overall it was a huge thumbs up and I would definitely recommend.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Everything
Liked least: The accommodation above 4 persons
Travelling group: Friends
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
4 Nov 2016
Thank you so much for your wonderful review and what a lot of excellent recommendations. We'll make sure we add them to our welcome pack! Would love you to visit again. Sunny regards Louise, Karl and Mavis
Reviewed 23 August 2016 for a stay in August 2016

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
AmyLouPeg
“Perfect girls weekend”
Reviewed 3 August 2016 for a stay in August 2016

I stayed at the Sun Retreat for my hen weekend with six of my friends. I had the best weekend ever at this luxurious and stunning house. The housekeeper Mavis was extremely helpful and lovely and made us feel welcome on arrival. I even had a little food and fizz hamper waiting for me. When I walked in I had the instant wow factor from the lounge/diner. We made cocktails at the bar and danced under the disco lights. When we'd run out of steam, we enjoyed a film night in the cinema room. My friends organised a lovely lady to come to the house to give us massages on the Saturday (arranged through the owner). The double bedrooms were top of the range and had ensuite bathrooms. Even the little fold up bed was super comfy. The kitchen facilities were all top notch. The garden area and sun room were excellent. We were a minute's walk from the clean and quiet beach. I cannot recommend this house enough for a relaxing break with friends or family. I will definitely be going back!!!

4 Aug 2016
Thanks Amy for your lovely review. We are thrilled you and the girls had such a good time. Do hope you'll come and visit again. Good luck with the wedding. X
Reviewed 14 July 2016 for a stay in July 2016

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
4 Aug 2016
Thanks so much we think the house is perfect for everyone and most of all for families! Great to hear you enjoyed it. Sending warmest sunny regards. Hope to welcome you back soon.
mr_and_mr...
south east england
“Miss”
Reviewed 29 June 2016 for a stay in June 2016

Amazing house for a fun weekend away! Lots to do near by. We found a spa about a 10 minute drive away and we spent an afternoon rowing on the river, also a short drive away. The house was perfect. Everything there that you could need. All very clean and the decoration was just beautiful. The sun room was great for lounging as well as partying! The cinema room was lovely too. We were greeted by a really nice house keeper who handed over the keys and showed us how to work a few bits. We did have a random storm which caused a short power cut. Unfortunately we couldn't find the fuse box for a while and couldn't get in touch with anyone straight away. Eventually one of the girls tracked it down so we were OK after an hour of panic! We thought we may have had to have a silent disco!! Just one of those things though. I would definitely recommend this house for a week or weekend away with friends or family. And I'm hoping to be able to book again soon! 10/10 Thankyou :)

4 Aug 2016
Thank you so much and so sorry once again for the power issues. We tried to attend as soon as we could and will definitely point the fuse box out to all future guests. Do hope we can welcome you back. Warm and sunny regards.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing