“turn back while you can”
Review of The Star Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Edenbridge
The Star Inn
Ranked #6 of 6 Edenbridge B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 September 2012

I don't mind a basic/simple room at an inn. I've stayed in plenty of nice ones that were quiet, clean, and allowed me to sleep.
This place was a laugh riot. Check out the damp and black mold in the hallway leading to your room! (science is fun) Then you can spend some time having trouble shutting your door all of the way. I might suggest this place to an insomniac as the noise and "choice" music from the pub will keep you up and entertained half of the night. Yet the strange thing in all of this, is that the full English isn't half bad. The tea is weak of course but they will feed you. Of course there will be the roaming dog that wants your toast. Don't give in to the sad eyes. Though maybe those are sad eyes asking you to help the dog escape. (Maybe the dog has had its fill of late seventies pop music.) While you enjoy this breakfast there will be the fun of someone mopping the floors. The scent of bleach mixed with bacon. Ah joy.
Parking isn't really available and the wifi can be so-so at times. But hey the breakfast is free.
Just get your shots before you arrive.

Room Tip: choose another hotel/inn/hovel.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank G S
nikj68, Manager at The Star Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2012

Thank you for your comment - please let me address them...

Laugh riot - do you mean people having fun?
Choice of music - I cannot police a jukebox which everyone has freedom of choice!
I am glad you enjoyed your breakfast and if you would have liked stronger tea that could have been arranged
You arrived for breakfast 40 mins before breakfast was due to be serviced, this is when I clean the bar, if the bar wasn't cleaned I presume you would have complained it was dirty... But I did cook & serve you breakfast early & then carried on cleaning so it was clean on time for my other customers...
The hallway is due to be decorated as the lead roof was stolen but I am waiting for an insurance claim
The pub is a country pub which is pet friendly, not only my dog is welcome (she was born there! so has been there for 10 years) a lot of customers are free to bring their pets - even a parrot on rare occasions

Reviewed 3 September 2012

My partner and I were invited to a wedding at a venue near Edenbridge and we decided to stay at The Star Inn, mainly because we both like staying in B&B/pubs. I am so pleased that we did! I arrived a few hours before my partner did and was made to feel very welcome by both the landlord and the locals; throughout our stay we found everyone to be very friendly, helpful and accommodating. We stayed in Room 8 (double with an ensuite) which overlooks the garden; it was both immaculate and comfortable and everything we needed was in there, including a hair dryer. Breakfast was absolutely delicious and was included in the cost of the room - exceptional value, certainly in comparison to other places in the area that our friends were staying in. I would definitely stay here again if I was in the area.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank AKBHCambridge

Thank you for taking the time to write this nice review & we are so glad you felt welcome & it was very nice to meet you both

Reviewed 25 August 2012

I booked 2 single rooms for £40 each in August through Lastminute.com. Of the 4 pubs in the nice little town of Edenbridge this might be the most basic. I could call it scruffy but plenty of people like it, as the bar, courtyard and garden were full in the evening. Therefore it was a noisy place to stay.

I was disappointed to find there was not even a sink in the room. Staying there was like camping as the toilet/shower room was literally outside. So we had no discreet privacy in the night. It was a good thing it wasn't cold or raining.

My mattress was lumpy. The remote control to the tv didn't work, even after the batteries were changed.

In their favour, the rooms were very clean and the cooked breakfast was tasty and not at all greasy. The earliest time for this was to be 9a.m. at the weekend but 8.30am was offered.

We had pre-paid for 3 nights but actually left after one and went upmarket to the Crawley Worth Holiday Inn, which was much more comfortable, although the building lacks character.

Room Tip: Ask for ensuite.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Carolyn A
nikj68, Manager at The Star Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2012

Thank you for your comments all feedback is good. Your rooms were our non en-suite rooms which is clearly stated on the internet & the cheapest which are normally £35 including breakfast when booked directly. You had only paid for the first night but as you were not happy I did not want to charge you although there is a cancelation policy.

The pub is a small but friendly - Friday nights are our busiest as explained....

I wished you had told me the tv remote was still not working as I would have found an alternative one. I haven't had any complaints about the mattress but will look into it.

We serve breakfast from 7.30am in the week but at weekends we do serve breakfast from 9am and as you stated we were happy to open early, as we did for you....unfortunately you didn't make it that early but we are happy it was enjoyable.

Reviewed 12 August 2012

The Star Inn is a unique Pub /B&B with a central location in the town of Edenbridge. We arrived on a Sunday night by train. I had been forewarned that there were two train stations and to be sure to get off at the second station which is much closer to the B&B. Unfortunately, on Sunday the train doesn't make a stop at that station so we had over a 2 km walk. We arrived just after 9pm to find out the kitchen closed a 9. Lucky for us the chef lived a short distance away and was kind enough to return and make us a great dinner. Our room which was at the back of the Pub was small but cozy and clean. What was unique about the room was the shower in the corner of the bedroom. They did provide a privacy screen. There was a wide variety of breakfast items and what we had was very good.
Nikki who is the manager was great. We needed a late check out and she granted same without hesitation. All in all a great place for an overnight stay.

Room Tip: Make sure you get off the train at the correct station.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Brian H

Thank you for your kind review it was very nice of you to take the time to write it.

Reviewed 25 July 2012

Two night stay at the Star Inn for a wedding at Hever Castle.

Stay there if:-

You need to be near to Hever Castle (10 mins)
Want a clean very basic room. Ours was nothing like photos on trip advisor though.
Want a big blowout of a nicely cooked breakfast.
You expect nice friendly staff. They were very good.

Don't stay there if:-

You want anything other than basic.
Want a dish and spoon for your cornflakes without asking.
That goes for side plates for toast too.
Also if you don't mind your milk in a plastic measuring jug.
You mind a dog roaming while you are having your breakfast.

This probably all sounds a bit petty, also a main consideration is the pub car park. It's not a car park but an area behind the pub for approx 4 cars. If your car is bigger ( i.e. wider) than a VWG Golf you will struggle. We were lucky to come away with no scratches, as the narrow approach is between two walls.

Would I go again?, No. Would I recommend,? No. Such a shame as the landlady was lovely. The historic pub and gardens were there for the making, just needs A LOT OF CARE AND ATTENTION. I know pubs are struggling in the economic times, but it could be a gem with Hever down the road. SORRY!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank gregory9

Thank you for comments and although you have some negative comment there are a few positives.

We are no frills but I do try to give good service.. I'm not sure how you didn't get a bowl for you cornflakes, an oversight I presume..Side plates, people normally use there breakfast plates so the table is not so crowded but if requested we are happy to provide. Sorry, I had broken our only 1 milk jug so improvised with the plastic jug, I have a lovely milk jug now...

The pub is a country pub & country pub sometimes have dogs, a lot of people love the dog being there.

We do not get any trade from Hever as there are a lot of coach trips that do not stop in the town, but I have a weekly gardener now and the garden is lovely... we just need our summer!

I am glad you had a lovely time at your friends daughters wedding...

Reviewed 3 May 2012

Very comfortable executive suite - very clean and tidy although expected a little more room for "executive" room but ensuite was very good. Quiet well away from bar area and smokers spot. Bed very comfortable.

A little worried when we booked in as my name was not on guests booked-in board however soon resolved.by Nicci the landlady.

Breakfast in morning was excellent although told upto 11.30am when it was 11am however Nicci was not too bothered - pub opens each morning for breakfast specials. I could have had the belly bursting one (3 of everything) but settled for Star Inn option (2 of everything)

Garden area needed a bit of tidying and limited car parking not easy although Co-op car park not too far away.

Overall nice B & B and good value.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for you kind comments & feedback.

The garden is looking lovely now I have taken some-one on to help keep the grounds tidy

Reviewed 15 October 2011

Never fails to deliver value for money and quality - tried the rest but this is definitely the best in Edenbridge. Friendly staff and fantastic service.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank KiplingMonkey

Glad you enjoy it!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Edenbridge
Best Western Plus Hever Hotel
Lingfield Park Marriott Hotel & Country Club
The Greyhound at Hever
Hever Castle Bed and Breakfast
Hurst Farm
Hurst Farm
#1 of 6 in Edenbridge

Been to The Star Inn? Share your experiences!