“Great stay”
Review of The Star Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Edenbridge
The Star Inn
Ranked #6 of 6 Edenbridge B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 October 2012

I stayed here on Friday night and found it a lovely place to stay. We were at a wedding in nearby Hever on the Friday and booked two rooms, one for me and my 2 year old daughter and one for my wife (a bridesmaid at the wedding so likely to be a little worse for wear and easier to have seperate room than tiptoe around a sleeping toddler).

When I booked the rooms the landlady was very helpful and said that a travel cot was available and that they would put it in the quiet room at the back which was very considerate of them.  The price of the rooms was also very reasonable.

The day before the wedding I asked if I could gain early access to the rooms to drop off belongings prior the wedding and again the landlady was very accommodating and allowed early access and even had bedding available for the travel cot which is a very nice touch!  The parking at the back of the pub, whilst a little tight, is fine and also allowed access to the rooms without having to go through the pub (handy with a sleepy toddler and suitcases).

Both rooms were lovely and clean with fresh towels and comfy beds (we had rooms 5 and 8).  There was also plenty of tea and coffee available rather than the standard couple of sachets. Room 8 was quiet and you couldn’t hear any of the noise/music from the pub, even on a busy Friday night…yes you could hear few people chatting in the garden late at night but it is a pub garden so what do you expect!  I would imagine that Room 5 was a little noisier but that was fine (and my wife was infact in the bar till closing with other wedding guests also staying here), you are staying a pub not a 5* hotel so why not enjoy the bar!  The bar had a nice atmosphere and ‘non locals’ made to feel welcome.

The breakfast in the morning, served in the pub from 9, was lovely.  From a parent perspective it was a another nice touch to find a high chair and plastic plates/cups/cutlery for my daughter for her to have some breakfast from.  I had a traditional full English which was really tasty.  What was even nicer is that the landlady offered a bacon sandwich to take up to Room 5 to save my wife from facing the world (even though it was apparently the landlords!).  A little touch that goes a long way.

They also have a big garden which includes childrens houses/slides.  This could do with some maintenance but it is nearly November so not really the ideal weather for landscaping!

Overall an enjoyable stay and ideal location for functions nearby, a taxi from here to Hever was very reasonable even after midnight.  Maybe not the place for a romantic weekend away but for a place to sleep, with an excellent breakfast, after a night out it is fine and being a parent it was nice to see they were accommodating with children.

• Stayed: October 2012

Reviewed 30 September 2012

I stayed in The Star Inn last Saturday night, for a early start for a race in Hever Castle on Sunday. I booked online, wrote an email but did not receive any response.

Upon arrival, I was shown to my room which is on top of ground level, facing the back of the pub where the pub customers gathered, smoked, drank and chatted. The room is basic but clean; sink, toilet and shower were outside my room. As I was only looking to have a place to rest before the race, I was not looking for luxury.

To go to my room, I had to pass the crowded pub and backyard. As the room given to me and the bathroom both faces the backyard, the pub customers would see me everytime I make that trip. I am no princess so this doesn't bother me.

However, when I closed the door of the room, it did not shut out the music from the pub and noises from the party in the backyard. Needless to say, I didn't get the rest I wanted before the race.

The person who showed us the rooms was helpful but he was also the only one serving at the bar. I left 7am Sunday morning so did not had a chance to try the breakfast.

Will I stay here again ? No.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Zeezee101
Reviewed 3 September 2012

We stayed there on 24/18/12. It is the liveliest pub in Edenbridge (we know, because we looked in the others), which was a plus for us. The room was good, and the breakfast was a real hit. Staff were very, very nice.
Our best experience was talking to the locals, which usually consist of the old fella at the bar, the funny clown guy, or the younger (slightly drunk) crowd. We found the latter, and had some great conversations with a gaggle of young people outside in the smoking area (under the eaves of the back building), even though it was raining.
We were happy that it was a lively place, and would definitely stay there again. :)

Comments to negative reviews below:
It's an inn/pub, which is exactly what we wanted. The reviewer below obviously doesn't know what one is.
The door to the rooms up above is "on the street" but so are the majority of front doors, no? :))
The music did go on until closing time, but we were downstairs enjoying it. Considering that closing times in the UK are only until 11/12pm, the reviewer should never stay in a European inn, because they close when they want to.

Room Tip: The room directly at the top of the stairs
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David Andrew E
nikj68, Manager at The Star Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2012

Thank you for your comments - we do have a good mixture of customers & I am glad you felt welcome & enjoyed yourself. I will pass on your comments to the staff.

Thank you also for writing your comments on the review below, yes, we are a pub exactly as you stated, we are quite busy sometimes because its a relaxed & friendly place. Its very nice you felt strongly to respond as you stayed in the same part of the building- thank you!

Reviewed 3 September 2012

I don't mind a basic/simple room at an inn. I've stayed in plenty of nice ones that were quiet, clean, and allowed me to sleep.
This place was a laugh riot. Check out the damp and black mold in the hallway leading to your room! (science is fun) Then you can spend some time having trouble shutting your door all of the way. I might suggest this place to an insomniac as the noise and "choice" music from the pub will keep you up and entertained half of the night. Yet the strange thing in all of this, is that the full English isn't half bad. The tea is weak of course but they will feed you. Of course there will be the roaming dog that wants your toast. Don't give in to the sad eyes. Though maybe those are sad eyes asking you to help the dog escape. (Maybe the dog has had its fill of late seventies pop music.) While you enjoy this breakfast there will be the fun of someone mopping the floors. The scent of bleach mixed with bacon. Ah joy.
Parking isn't really available and the wifi can be so-so at times. But hey the breakfast is free.
Just get your shots before you arrive.

Room Tip: choose another hotel/inn/hovel.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank G S

Thank you for your comment - please let me address them...

Laugh riot - do you mean people having fun?
Choice of music - I cannot police a jukebox which everyone has freedom of choice!
I am glad you enjoyed your breakfast and if you would have liked stronger tea that could have been arranged
You arrived for breakfast 40 mins before breakfast was due to be serviced, this is when I clean the bar, if the bar wasn't cleaned I presume you would have complained it was dirty... But I did cook & serve you breakfast early & then carried on cleaning so it was clean on time for my other customers...
The hallway is due to be decorated as the lead roof was stolen but I am waiting for an insurance claim
The pub is a country pub which is pet friendly, not only my dog is welcome (she was born there! so has been there for 10 years) a lot of customers are free to bring their pets - even a parrot on rare occasions

Reviewed 3 September 2012

My partner and I were invited to a wedding at a venue near Edenbridge and we decided to stay at The Star Inn, mainly because we both like staying in B&B/pubs. I am so pleased that we did! I arrived a few hours before my partner did and was made to feel very welcome by both the landlord and the locals; throughout our stay we found everyone to be very friendly, helpful and accommodating. We stayed in Room 8 (double with an ensuite) which overlooks the garden; it was both immaculate and comfortable and everything we needed was in there, including a hair dryer. Breakfast was absolutely delicious and was included in the cost of the room - exceptional value, certainly in comparison to other places in the area that our friends were staying in. I would definitely stay here again if I was in the area.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank AKBHCambridge

Thank you for taking the time to write this nice review & we are so glad you felt welcome & it was very nice to meet you both

Reviewed 25 August 2012

I booked 2 single rooms for £40 each in August through Lastminute.com. Of the 4 pubs in the nice little town of Edenbridge this might be the most basic. I could call it scruffy but plenty of people like it, as the bar, courtyard and garden were full in the evening. Therefore it was a noisy place to stay.

I was disappointed to find there was not even a sink in the room. Staying there was like camping as the toilet/shower room was literally outside. So we had no discreet privacy in the night. It was a good thing it wasn't cold or raining.

My mattress was lumpy. The remote control to the tv didn't work, even after the batteries were changed.

In their favour, the rooms were very clean and the cooked breakfast was tasty and not at all greasy. The earliest time for this was to be 9a.m. at the weekend but 8.30am was offered.

We had pre-paid for 3 nights but actually left after one and went upmarket to the Crawley Worth Holiday Inn, which was much more comfortable, although the building lacks character.

Room Tip: Ask for ensuite.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Carolyn A
nikj68, Manager at The Star Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2012

Thank you for your comments all feedback is good. Your rooms were our non en-suite rooms which is clearly stated on the internet & the cheapest which are normally £35 including breakfast when booked directly. You had only paid for the first night but as you were not happy I did not want to charge you although there is a cancelation policy.

The pub is a small but friendly - Friday nights are our busiest as explained....

I wished you had told me the tv remote was still not working as I would have found an alternative one. I haven't had any complaints about the mattress but will look into it.

We serve breakfast from 7.30am in the week but at weekends we do serve breakfast from 9am and as you stated we were happy to open early, as we did for you....unfortunately you didn't make it that early but we are happy it was enjoyable.

Reviewed 12 August 2012

The Star Inn is a unique Pub /B&B with a central location in the town of Edenbridge. We arrived on a Sunday night by train. I had been forewarned that there were two train stations and to be sure to get off at the second station which is much closer to the B&B. Unfortunately, on Sunday the train doesn't make a stop at that station so we had over a 2 km walk. We arrived just after 9pm to find out the kitchen closed a 9. Lucky for us the chef lived a short distance away and was kind enough to return and make us a great dinner. Our room which was at the back of the Pub was small but cozy and clean. What was unique about the room was the shower in the corner of the bedroom. They did provide a privacy screen. There was a wide variety of breakfast items and what we had was very good.
Nikki who is the manager was great. We needed a late check out and she granted same without hesitation. All in all a great place for an overnight stay.

Room Tip: Make sure you get off the train at the correct station.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Brian H

Thank you for your kind review it was very nice of you to take the time to write it.

Been to The Star Inn? Share your experiences!