“No Thanks.”

Ranked #6 of 6 Edenbridge B&B and Inns
bournemouth
“No Thanks.”
Reviewed 11 July 2013

Was welcomed by a dog crapping in the garden right as we were coming in. Lumpy mattress, no mattress cover, carpet needs cleaning, no remote control anywhere, unsafe bathroom door lock - couldn't get out at one stage, lock jams... scalding water from sink in bathroom, can't go to the loo at night without being viewed by general smoking loud public. Leg got caught in dangling lead from TV while turning around in bed at night. Other person in twin room - feet right by the kettle, which if has just boiled is also dangerous! Tray for kettle - grubby. Strange chemical smell at night. Unsafe travelling from room to outside toilet at night if you get disorientated - metallic outside staircase right by bedroom door. On way back at night through the back garden - unsafe, can't see where you are going, needs to be lit up more. Found the whole experience unpleasant and unsafe. Won't stay again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank dido151

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Wakefield
Reviewed 30 May 2013

Arrived at 8.00pm Friday night, pub very busy and noisy to be expected. Was shown to outside room had to go through smoking area lads swearing and shouting, quite intimidating. Booked twin rooms with adjoining ensuite. However son's room was out back and had to leave room to attend bathroom in full view of smoking area!!! Our room was in pub and ensuite was down corridor cold water did not work, reported it to staff and was told to use shower room however handle of door held on by 2 screws so husband had to stand outside whilst used it as was on main corridor!! Front door out onto street left open all night as didn't shut properly. But saying all this seems very negative however it was just a base, room was clean but had damp feeling. Breakfast was huge and made to order was very nice. Landlady was very friendly and felt she was up against it,and appeared to be meeting herself coming back. The car park was down 2 very tight dark alleys which was quite scary when we returned late at night from function and difficult to steer car safely down them.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Salb256
Alresford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2013

We stayed on a Saturday and did not worry too much about warnings of noise as we were attending a wedding party and expected to be back after closing time.

The bar was warm with a real fire but there were three tv screens, two of which were tuned to different channels as well as a slot machine. However, as we didn't expect to spend any time there this didnt seem to matter too much. Our room ( the garden room) was accessible from outside via a fire escape type staircase. The garden it faced was a bit scruffy but hardly an issue in February. The bar was reached via the smoking area which looked pretty unkempt on Sunday morning with overflowing ashtrays and many butts on the ground.

A mix up with our room which had been given to someone else was quickly sorted out. The room was small but clean. The bathroom was freezing but warmed up once we bled the radiator. It would have been nice to have a surface to put sponge bags etc on but that's really just a suggestion. The light above the sink didnt work but we didnt want to spend time sorting it and managed without it. The shower was hot and plentiful.

The room seemed quiet when we left for the evening. However when we returned there was a tv going in the room next to ours at quite a volume and it did not go off until 3.30 am despite my usually laid back partner hammering on the wall several times. I was tempted to knock at the offending door but thought better of it as there had been an altercation apparently involving the occupants with a lot of shouting and swearing earlier (about 1.30 am) and we didn't want to be caught up in an incident. We suspect the occupant fell asleep with the tv on, which was possibly even more frustrating than listening to the noise of a party half the night. One of our fellow party guests stayed in the main building and was luckier than us - music playing somewhere in the building only kept him awake until two am.

breakfast was excellent, only marred by two of the three tv screens being turned onto different channels, which kind of seemed to add insult to injury. We left as soon as we could, tempted to throw our own tv away asap!

This pub really needs to decide whether to concentrate on being a fun party venue or provide a restful place to stay for its b&b trade

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sybilla S

Travellers are raving about these Edenbridge hotels

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 November 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for one night during the week. The room was surprisingly spacious. The bed linen was very fresh and clean. The only thing is, there was a strong chemical smell which I couldn't figure out where it was coming from.
In the morning I had a Full English breakfast from their amazing selection. The breakfast is immense at this place!!
The staff were quite pleasant.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank MrBournemouth
Rochester
Reviewed 29 October 2012

I stayed here on Friday night and found it a lovely place to stay. We were at a wedding in nearby Hever on the Friday and booked two rooms, one for me and my 2 year old daughter and one for my wife (a bridesmaid at the wedding so likely to be a little worse for wear and easier to have seperate room than tiptoe around a sleeping toddler).

When I booked the rooms the landlady was very helpful and said that a travel cot was available and that they would put it in the quiet room at the back which was very considerate of them.  The price of the rooms was also very reasonable.

The day before the wedding I asked if I could gain early access to the rooms to drop off belongings prior the wedding and again the landlady was very accommodating and allowed early access and even had bedding available for the travel cot which is a very nice touch!  The parking at the back of the pub, whilst a little tight, is fine and also allowed access to the rooms without having to go through the pub (handy with a sleepy toddler and suitcases).

Both rooms were lovely and clean with fresh towels and comfy beds (we had rooms 5 and 8).  There was also plenty of tea and coffee available rather than the standard couple of sachets. Room 8 was quiet and you couldn’t hear any of the noise/music from the pub, even on a busy Friday night…yes you could hear few people chatting in the garden late at night but it is a pub garden so what do you expect!  I would imagine that Room 5 was a little noisier but that was fine (and my wife was infact in the bar till closing with other wedding guests also staying here), you are staying a pub not a 5* hotel so why not enjoy the bar!  The bar had a nice atmosphere and ‘non locals’ made to feel welcome.

The breakfast in the morning, served in the pub from 9, was lovely.  From a parent perspective it was a another nice touch to find a high chair and plastic plates/cups/cutlery for my daughter for her to have some breakfast from.  I had a traditional full English which was really tasty.  What was even nicer is that the landlady offered a bacon sandwich to take up to Room 5 to save my wife from facing the world (even though it was apparently the landlords!).  A little touch that goes a long way.

They also have a big garden which includes childrens houses/slides.  This could do with some maintenance but it is nearly November so not really the ideal weather for landscaping!

Overall an enjoyable stay and ideal location for functions nearby, a taxi from here to Hever was very reasonable even after midnight.  Maybe not the place for a romantic weekend away but for a place to sleep, with an excellent breakfast, after a night out it is fine and being a parent it was nice to see they were accommodating with children.

• Stayed October 2012
London
Reviewed 30 September 2012

I stayed in The Star Inn last Saturday night, for a early start for a race in Hever Castle on Sunday. I booked online, wrote an email but did not receive any response.

Upon arrival, I was shown to my room which is on top of ground level, facing the back of the pub where the pub customers gathered, smoked, drank and chatted. The room is basic but clean; sink, toilet and shower were outside my room. As I was only looking to have a place to rest before the race, I was not looking for luxury.

To go to my room, I had to pass the crowded pub and backyard. As the room given to me and the bathroom both faces the backyard, the pub customers would see me everytime I make that trip. I am no princess so this doesn't bother me.

However, when I closed the door of the room, it did not shut out the music from the pub and noises from the party in the backyard. Needless to say, I didn't get the rest I wanted before the race.

The person who showed us the rooms was helpful but he was also the only one serving at the bar. I left 7am Sunday morning so did not had a chance to try the breakfast.

Will I stay here again ? No.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Zeezee101
United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 September 2012

We stayed there on 24/18/12. It is the liveliest pub in Edenbridge (we know, because we looked in the others), which was a plus for us. The room was good, and the breakfast was a real hit. Staff were very, very nice.
Our best experience was talking to the locals, which usually consist of the old fella at the bar, the funny clown guy, or the younger (slightly drunk) crowd. We found the latter, and had some great conversations with a gaggle of young people outside in the smoking area (under the eaves of the back building), even though it was raining.
We were happy that it was a lively place, and would definitely stay there again. :)

Comments to negative reviews below:
It's an inn/pub, which is exactly what we wanted. The reviewer below obviously doesn't know what one is.
The door to the rooms up above is "on the street" but so are the majority of front doors, no? :))
The music did go on until closing time, but we were downstairs enjoying it. Considering that closing times in the UK are only until 11/12pm, the reviewer should never stay in a European inn, because they close when they want to.

Room Tip: The room directly at the top of the stairs