“Simply the best!”
Review of Starborough Manor

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Edenbridge
Ranked #2 of 6 Edenbridge B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Simply the best!”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Think 5* hotel with all the comforts of home and you have Starborough Manor. Having travelled extensively and stayed in many a luxurious location I can think of no better place to stay than with Lynn and Jonathan. Starborough Manor is set in beautiful grounds with a moat and castle on one side and beautiful gardens surrounding the house. It is elegant yet comfortable. The place is immaculate and the large rooms are perfect; from the sumptuous bedding, towels and bathrobes to the superior toiletries and tea/coffee facilities.

This is the second time I have stayed and on both occasions have been welcomed with delicious homemade cakes. Lynn is a talented baker.

Nothing is too much trouble from providing fresh milk in the guest fridge to lending maps – and on my last visit, lending me a pair of wellies so I could traipse around the woods without getting too muddy.

The breakfast is cooked to order and is superb with a large selection of seasonal fruits and home-made preserves all presented beautifully. The attention to detail such as cloth napkins and quality china make it feel special without being formal or stuffy. Lynn is friendly, cheerful and a joy to talk with over breakfast, with helpful suggestions of places to visit and directions should you need that.

What makes it for me is the spacious and comfortable sitting room full of books and dvds, along with the kitchen and dining room on the first floor. On both visits it meant I was able to spend my days visiting local sites and gardens and then relax in the evenings and enjoy the views across the beautiful grounds and fields. There is also a laundry room which you can use for a small fee.

There is a good free wi-fi connection but like so much of Kent, the mobile signal is not strong.

Starborough Manor would make an ideal venue for the single traveller, couples or families. I would say it is a home from home, but it’s not – it’s so much better!

I am looking forward to my next visit which I hope to make very soon.

Room Tip: Call in advance to discuss your requirements. I stayed in the yellow room which was next to the sit...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Rosie S
Starborough, Owner at Starborough Manor, responded to this review, 6 October 2014
Thank you for your kind and full review. We were delighted to welcome you back to Starborough Manor again and I am so pleased that you had a lovely time with us. Thank you for the delicious homemade chocolates too!

Starborough Manor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Leipzig
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We have travelled the world, literally, from Hawaii to Samoa. We stayed in numerous places, from rented homes to Mandarin Orientals or Waldorf Astorias.
Yet, our stay at Starborough Manor was the best, not only due to the truly luxurious accomodation. The difference lies in the detail: cloth napkins at breakfast, plush bathtowels and bathrobes, upscale bathroom amenities, the furniture and room decoration, the setting in a parkland-like area with a moat...Everything was in immaculate condition.
What makes Starborough Manor outstanding and special, however, is the genuine, cordial, sincere hospitality of the hosts, including their darling dog.
The breakfasts are cooked to order, are simply delicious, with mixed fresh fruit every morning and everything is invitingly dished up.
Added to all this is an extensive video, DVD and book library. You may watch a film together with other guests in the roomy and yet cozy common sitting room or in the privacy of your room.
The 5***** Gold classification is more than justified.
Once again, thank you very much for a most pleasurable and memorable stay.

P.S.: Yes, there is some air traffic. But it isn't bothering at all. Tell us a place in that region of England where there is no air traffic. London's airports, including Gatwick, are among the busiest ones in the world. It all depends on the decisions of the air traffic controllers. Plus, there is absolute silence between 11 p.m. and 7 a.m., thanks to the fantastic location of marvellous Starborough Manor.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
8 Thank uwe-leipzig
Thank you for your kind review. We are delighted that you all enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to Starborough Manor in the future.

Sherfield On Loddon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Amazing, stayed for two nights with my mother ,what a beautiful house , when we arrived we were treated to tea and delicious cake made by Lynn, our room was wonderful , breakfast was delicious and as previously mentioned in another review Lynn & Jonathan are the perfect hosts.
We cannot wait to return in August for another night in this wonderful B&B

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Starborough, Owner at Starborough Manor, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and we shall look forward to welcoming you both back to Starborough Manor in August.

Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I am unlikely to be saying anything that hasn't already been stated - this is a very comfortable and welcoming venue.
I visited the area on business, and found the local hotel accommodation to be lacklustre and poor value for money. This is an expensive area, due, no doubt, to its proximity to Gatwick and to the wide range of local attractions. As a business user, my requirements are different from many B&B users, especially as I work some evenings.
The accommodation here is superb. The rooms are large (they all vary, of course) and have desks with enough space for a computer and a file. There are four main rooms - two en-suite, and two that share a bathroom. Where this B&B differs, though, is that it is in a separate wing of the house, with its own entrance and staircase. On the first floor there is a large dining area, a modest kitchen and utility area, and a splendid guest sitting room (plus an en-suite room).
On the top floor are the remaining bedrooms. My (top floor en-suite) bedroom has a very good long bath in which to relax and read, and a very comfortable bed.
It should be ideal for families, or for a group of friends seeking a weekend retreat. It is the best B&B I know for all sorts of reasons, but one important reason is the spaciousness. So although it is more than one might expect to pay for a "typical" B&B, it actually represents excellent value for money (and is no more expensive than most other accommodation in the area anyway).
There are, I understand, additional charges for "heavy" use of the kitchen, such as dining in, but guests have "minor" access to the facilities included in their B&B price - but do check first! The grounds are lovely and the views are surprisingly good from the top floor.
There are plenty of decent places to eat and drink in nearby - from memory, the Fountain at Cowden, the Hare and Hounds at Lingfield, the Rock Inn at Chiddingstone Hoath and the Castle at Chiddingstone - but be warned - the roads are narrow and twisty!
Breakfast is superb and very friendly - I arrive late to work having had a nice chat with Mrs Mathias as she cooks my repast. (I had her home-made gooseberry conserve). There is a small library of books for every taste, and a wide range of DVDs and videos, including children's titles. Children should adore it here! My room had its own DVD player and I expect the other rooms have them too.
Plenty of parking space outside; far enough from Gatwick for the aircraft noise to be discernible but not distracting.

Room Tip: Mid floor en-suite has walk-in shower; top floor en-suite not as suitable for heavy luggage; also a...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Paul T
Starborough, Owner at Starborough Manor, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Thank you very much for your kind and full review of Starborough Manor. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that your business needs were met. We look forward to welcoming you back to Starborough Manor soon,

Southport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 December 2013

I stayed here for 4 days @ Christmas 2013. Quite simply the best B&B in which I have ever stayed. A superb room, super kingsize bed & fantastically spacious & comfortable ensuite facilities. Lynn & Jonathan are perfect hosts. Outstanding!

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Gerry B
Starborough, Owner at Starborough Manor, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Thank you for your kind review and we are delighted that you enjoyed your Christmas stay with us.

With best wishes for 2014,
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Hard to believe 12 months since my last visit to this wonderful house. Nothing has changed, immaculate accommodation, warm welcome, great breakfast. B & B is the description but doesn't do Starborough Manor, standard of accommodation, or the familly in residence justice.

Overnight in The Green Room. Great night in a really comfortable bed.

Jonathan and Lynn are really decent people.

If you are contemplating staying anywhere near Edenbridge, or Redhill and looking for quality accommodation at a very sensible rate. I strongly recommend you call Starborough Manor and enjoy, if a room available. I'm confident you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Starborough, Owner at Starborough Manor, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Thank you for your kind review. We were delighted to welcome you back to Starborough Manor and we are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay.
London
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Back in September, our family spent a very happy, special time at beautiful Starborough Manor for the weekend of my wedding. It was simply the most perfect setting for the family to be together & get ready for the wedding day. Lynn and Jonathan are wonderful, warm hosts, for whom nothing is too much trouble, delicious breakfasts, and even lending us their dogs for a walk around the beautiful grounds to blow away the nerves on the morning of the wedding. The bedrooms at Starborough are cosy, stylishly presented with the most breathtaking views. The living areas & little kitchen area provide a perfect space to spend time relaxing with friends & family. Having stayed in many 'luxury' B&Bs and boutique hotels, I was thrilled to have found Starborough and it delivered on every level, I cannot recommend it highly enough, particularly for larger groups wishing to spend time together in beautiful Kentish countryside - or even brides to be!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Edenbridge
Best Western Plus Hever Hotel
Best Western Plus Donnington Manor Hotel
The Spa Hotel
The Spa Hotel
#2 of 14 in Royal Tunbridge Wells

Been to Starborough Manor? Share your experiences!